+/- 5 Million Baht - 2 Cars... What Would You Choose ?

Don't go for a Merc!! 2 reasons.

1st. The way they are loved here just makes me not want one. I can't afford one either, but that's not the point. :-)

2nd. I driven a few Mercs and BMW's and Mercs to me just felt a bit dull to drive in comparison.

It seems with the lists above that it will be one prestige brand, one Japanese, with one being an SUV and the other a car.

Prestige, I would go for a BMW 5 or the Audi Q5. Japanese I would go for the Mitsubishi Pajero or the Focus.

But then again, if it was my money I would probably go for a BMW 5 and a second hand Honda S2000. The s2000 had me in fits of giggles revving it to the 9,000 rpm limit with the top down. Seriously fun car!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another one that has not been mentioned is peugeot, the 207cc or 308cc models.

I have owned both about 8-10 years ago when they first hit the market and was pleased with both

the RCZ is worth mentioning also as i think its absolutely stunning, but unsure of the price tag in Thailand

post-157118-0-44367100-1358952311_thumb. post-157118-0-00165900-1358952428_thumb.

The RCZ looks good, but smallish 2 door coupé = the wife's car ? problem then would be not much money left for him, as they cost about 3 million.

Of course something big and good looking top of the range Hyundai Sonata 1.8 million.?......... Top of the range Toyota 86 GT is 2.7 million, if wanting to be different then the sister car Subaru BRZ............ makes the little 1.6 Peugeot RCZ look very expensive...

I like Audi so guess would go with the Q5 and the A1 for a city car

Edited by ignis

another one that has not been mentioned is peugeot, the 207cc or 308cc models.

I have owned both about 8-10 years ago when they first hit the market and was pleased with both

the RCZ is worth mentioning also as i think its absolutely stunning, but unsure of the price tag in Thailand

post-157118-0-44367100-1358952311_thumb. post-157118-0-00165900-1358952428_thumb.

The RCZ looks good, but smallish 2 door coupé = the wife's car ? problem then would be not much money left for him, as they cost about 3 million.

Of course something big and good looking top of the range Hyundai Sonata 1.8 million.?......... Top of the range Toyota 86 GT is 2.7 million, if wanting to be different then the sister car Subaru BRZ............ makes the little 1.6 Peugeot RCZ look very expensive...

Would not call RCZ smallish, it's a pretty big coupe.

I also like Audi but it just does not seem to be the choice.

I men't a 1.6 lt FWD, as to a proper RWD drivers sports car 2,0 lt

I'm sure the 86 GT, with the 3.5-liter 2GR-FSE V-6 engine is wild, but not sold here. only in the Lexus version + very expensive

I'm sure the 86 GT, with the 3.5-liter 2GR-FSE V-6 engine is wild, but not sold here. only in the Lexus version + very expensive

ohh got ya, you meant it terms of power, but it is turbo, also i do not think the RCZ was made as a sports car but rather to cruise around.

The F 86 In my opinion does not have any class, ie not classy car., but all of it is just my opinion :)

If i was in the market for a coupe and had the extra 300% for tax, i would pick the RCZ. In Oz it retails for around 1.8 million,, just checked out some thai sites and its close to 4 million.

Once in that price range, then have many other choices, just not as sleek looking

ohh got ya, you meant it terms of power, but it is turbo, also i do not think the RCZ was made as a sports car but rather to cruise around.

The F 86 In my opinion does not have any class, ie not classy car., but all of it is just my opinion smile.png

If i was in the market for a coupe and had the extra 300% for tax, i would pick the RCZ. In Oz it retails for around 1.8 million,, just checked out some thai sites and its close to 4 million.

Once in that price range, then have many other choices, just not as sleek looking

The RCZ is on the Peugeot Thailand website down for 2.95m for the 156 hp auto version. I believe you can also order the 200 hp manual version for a bit more.

I would agree, RCZ wins in class and looks. As nice the GT86 is for a Toyota it still looks a bit bland for my taste and yep, not classy.

I would think also that the manual RCZ with 200 hp (turbo) would be equaling the power of the 2.0 lt GT86 and probably in elasticity win it.

Two rather different cars for different purposes.

Coming back to the OP both i feel not fit the idea of a small city car. Visibility, etc.

City car, comfy and if you want some fun: Golf GTI (apparently now only 1.9m at VW dealer???), interiors are really nice, so wifey would not feel "underclassed" picking up her girlfriends for a coffee.

Interested to read more on this 2016 Excise tax deal. Id be very surprised if this would make any changes in fact id be stunned. Id imagine the dealer would pocket the difference and the prices would stay the same.

Thai's would never actually willingly make it easier for the poorer folks in life to be able to afford these expensive cars as they'd all loose face. As it will no longer mean only all the millionaires can only afford them maybe some of us could aswell.

Interested to read more on this 2016 Excise tax deal. Id be very surprised if this would make any changes in fact id be stunned. Id imagine the dealer would pocket the difference and the prices would stay the same.

Thai's would never actually willingly make it easier for the poorer folks in life to be able to afford these expensive cars as they'd all loose face. As it will no longer mean only all the millionaires can only afford them maybe some of us could aswell.

No fear for the hi-so, the new rules only (potentially) lower prices for cars currently in the 50% excise bracket - so only those with > 200HP or > 3.0L engines (i.e. 5M-30M Baht cars) - so still well out of reach for Somchai Average.. ;)

I spoke with my friend last night - He appears to have narrowed down his ideas to:

BMW 528i M Sport + CRV 2.4 (totalling out at about 5.5 MB)

or

Range Rover Evoque + Focus 2.0 Sport+ (or Camry 2.5G) (Totalling 5.5 MB 0r 6 MB if Camry)

There are lots of good ideas on this thread...

There has to be enough difference between the types of car..

i.e.

BMW 528i + Camry Or Evoque + CRV

BMW 528i + Focus seems ok though...

I spoke with my friend last night - He appears to have narrowed down his ideas to:

or

Range Rover Evoque + Focus 2.0 Sport+ (or Camry 2.5G) (Totalling 5.5 MB 0r 6 MB if Camry)

i.e.

I think your friend should stop being a cheap charlie, add another 10 mill and get a ferrari or another 20 mil and get a rolls roycetongue.png

or

i.e.

I think your friend should stop being a cheap charlie, add another 10 mill and get a ferrari or another 20 mil and get a rolls roycetongue.png

No idea of the price, yesterday a black one 4x4/SUV on red plates

On the back said Ruf Porsche Cayenne........ wow the 4 exhaust pipes come out of the bodywork at the back sure made it look different, only looked as it passed me.

Edited by ignis

or

i.e.

No idea of the price, yesterday a black one 4x4/SUV on red plates

On the back said Ruf Porsche Cayenne........ wow the 4 exhaust pipes come out of the bodywork at the back sure made it look different, only looked as it passed me.

i could be wrong, but i think those go for about 15 mill or so

• 1 month later...

In Bangkok I wouldnt even consider getting my own car. Taxis are great there and cost peanuts.

Would put all in dividend yielding portfolio. Maybe buy a new 2013 Vios for the missis if she is hot, and scared of using Taxis.

5 million baht on a 5% yield is 250k a year for Taxis, holidays, and other without touching the principal.

Invested in vehicles the principal would vaporize atleast at a double rate.

Edited by WhiteCadillac

In Bangkok I wouldnt even consider getting my own car. Taxis are great there and cost peanuts.

Would put all in dividend yielding portfolio. Maybe buy a new 2013 Vios for the missis if she is hot, and scared of using Taxis.

5 million baht on a 5% yield is 250k a year for Taxis, holidays, and other without touching the principal.

There is only one thing that is 100% in life......... your going to die..

Why not enjoy some pleasures in life before that ? anyway what good is 5 million in a Bank or the Yield it brings when your dead ?

Wonder if a White Cadillac would vaporize the money ?

Good to see that the car advertisements seem to be working on you. Money spent well.

Your advice might be reasonable if you are going to die very soon OR you are a billionaire and putting 5 mills in cars is not a big % of your net worth. Even then actually buying the cars in your own name might not be necessary. If your argument is pleasure, I am pretty sure not driving in BKK is better, and with that money you can get a whole lot of pleasure in other ways.

Being stuck in BKK traffic isnt actually that enjoyable even in a nice car.

My point is that if you live in BKK you dont really need to drive for yourself, as the taxi network is so great there. Outside BKK go buy whatever car you please.

Why not enjoy some pleasures in life before that ? anyway what good is 5 million in a Bank or the Yield it brings when your dead ?

Good to see that the car advertisements seem to be working on you. Money spent well.

Your advice might be reasonable if you are going to die very soon OR you are a billionaire and putting 5 mills in cars is not a big % of your net worth. Even then actually buying the cars in your own name might not be necessary. If your argument is pleasure, I am pretty sure not driving in BKK is better, and with that money you can get a whole lot of pleasure in other ways.

My point is that if you live in BKK you dont really need to drive for yourself, as the taxi network is so great there. Outside BKK go buy whatever car you please.

What you say makes financial sense... But then, life isn't as much fun without the pleasures.

Only those who don't have car's they don't need them in Bangkok. The same argument could be applied to watches and smart phones etc... But really, chill out, enjoy yourself... buy a car if you want one. The only people I would advise not to buy a car in city like bangkok are those who would struggle to afford it...

I for one like cars, I can't compare sitting in a luxurious motor to sitting in a Bangkok taxi. There are pro's and con's to car ownership and driving in Thailand. For me the Pro's outweigh the cons. I wouldn't be without a car, I prefer a nice one.

I do wonder why you are even reading threads in the Motoring Forum and call yourself WhiteCaddilac !

To answer the OPs question: if I were to live outside BKK, I would probably get a Fortuner/Mitsu Pajero Sport/4x4 automatic pickup and a 2013 Vios and save the money for something else as I would get worse value and quality for my money even if I spent more. If I could wait a year or two I would wait for the new platformed Vigo/Fortuner.

If I had to spend 5 million (a gun was pointed to my head), I would probably pick 2 most expensive locally made Japanese cars for best value.

If I had to pick Merc/BMW I would only spend 4 million total and save 1 million for repairs after the warranty is over.

• Like 1

What you say makes financial sense... But then, life isn't as much fun without the pleasures.

Only those who don't have car's they don't need them in Bangkok. The same argument could be applied to watches and smart phones etc... But really, chill out, enjoy yourself... buy a car if you want one. The only people I would advise not to buy a car in city like bangkok are those who would struggle to afford it...

I for one like cars, I can't compare sitting in a luxurious motor to sitting in a Bangkok taxi. There are pro's and con's to car ownership and driving in Thailand. For me the Pro's outweigh the cons. I wouldn't be without a car, I prefer a nice one.

I do wonder why you are even reading threads in the Motoring Forum and call yourself WhiteCaddilac !

I enjoy great cars, especially mid-engined ones, such as Cayman/Boxster. Or even a MR2, although they are pretty overpriced here compared to the West. They are great to ride and corner well.

It all depends where you live, but for me the inconvinience of operating my own car especially in downtown Bangkok is just a huge hassle and a con, that I wouldnt do it how much nice of a car I could afford. 90% of the car just goes to waste, as you cant really use them to their potential. Parking etc is a hassle.

Nope because I need it i buy a new pickup every 3 years......... as for the luxury car bought a 10 year old Audi A6 that was early 2008, can see no point in changing that as is still very good luxury car... early 2004 bought a new Honda Jazz, was fine but sold to have Luxury in my old age.

+ I live out in the sticks some 55 km from BKK

Edited by ignis

attachicon.gif559679_10151449044032278_1471956996_n.jpg

Ok, I do not like to show off too much, so just one pic... wink.png

I officially dislike you !!! tongue.png ...

Very nice motor... It would look lovely with a black wrap on the roof...

I saw a Startech Evoque at the motor show recently... it looked quite awesome....

Thanks ;)

Me too I was looking for the black roof, but my car dealer hadn't one. But this one has the black lip on the back spoiler and very good deal with 2 years of warranty, so I decided to buy there. Anyway I can apply some changes in the near future... ;)

I enjoy great cars, especially mid-engined ones, such as Cayman/Boxster. Or even a MR2, although they are pretty overpriced here compared to the West. They are great to ride and corner well.

It all depends where you live, but for me the inconvinience of operating my own car especially in downtown Bangkok is just a huge hassle and a con, that I wouldnt do it how much nice of a car I could afford. 90% of the car just goes to waste, as you cant really use them to their potential. Parking etc is a hassle.

Now, A Cayman would be a lovely car to own, however - I could only see that as a second car - the first car needs to come with practicality.

Perhaps blowing the budget on a Cayman and a Pajero Sport is an option... an unrealistic one I guess though...

Everything thing you write is correct. I don't work in Bangkok so I an avoid the times of 'heavy' traffic, I still get caught out, but its far nicer being stuck in traffic Jam in a nice car than a taxi. Of course, if only driving up and down Sukhumvit the Sky train is a better alternative.

But, one drop of rain an it takes a long time to get a taxi or even a motorbike...

When I've worked in Bangkok, regardless of having a car I've travelled to and from work on the BTS - 30-45 mins on the sky train, the problem is getting to the sky train, taxi's are a pain in the neck and always refusing the fare !... My Wife has had to drop me off on her way to work.... It still beats a 1 hr 30 minute commute in a car though ! - BUT, I've had to walk 20 mins back to my apartment, not a big deal if it wasn't so hot and sweaty !

It all depends where you work, one of my friends can drive to work quickly in BKK due to his Condo to office location.

Parking can be a hassle sometimes and so can getting caught out in the traffic..

But getting the shopping home, having a change of clothes in the back, carrying the sports equipment, tennis rackets, golf clubs, wakeboard etc... are all things far more difficult to do in a taxi.

Having a car permits me to go anywhere at anytime at the drop of a hat... of course, we can do that in a taxi or hire a car etc.. but it takes a little more planning etc. I won't use public busses, especially minibuses in Thailand (or motorcycle transport).

I spend half my time away from Bangkok and don't use my car at night as invariably I'll be having a beer somewhere... as such the 90% rule you mention is probably very true for me... I do less than 6000 kms a year... BUT, it's still very worth it for me to have a car. The main reason being, for me at least... having a car gives me a sense of freedom, it removes a sense of claustrophobia that a city can place on someone, it places me in a better state of mind knowing that I can be in Khao Yai in 2 hours of I so decide (which is something I actually do decide sometimes !)... In fact, having a car is so convenient in the past I've had two !, one for fun, one for normal use... and these days my wife and I just own one each.

I wouldn't want to be without a car, but that doesn't mean it owns me.

To answer the OPs question: if I were to live outside BKK, I would probably get a Fortuner/Mitsu Pajero Sport/4x4 automatic pickup and a 2013 Vios and save the money for something else as I would get worse value and quality for my money even if I spent more. If I could wait a year or two I would wait for the new platformed Vigo/Fortuner.

If I had to spend 5 million (a gun was pointed to my head), I would probably pick 2 most expensive locally made Japanese cars for best value.

If I had to pick Merc/BMW I would only spend 4 million total and save 1 million for repairs after the warranty is over.

My friend ended up choosing the BMW 528i M sport and a CRV 2.4 AWD... I think about 5.6 MB in total for the two so he went a bit over budget.

My friend ended up choosing the BMW 528i M sport and a CRV 2.4 AWD... I think about 5.6 MB in total for the two so he went a bit over budget.

Nice choice, especially for BMW... instead of CRV I would have gone with a Chevy Captiva...

I think this is why he bought two cars, one for bad roads like the CRV and one sporty car to have fun on better roads...

I read a review of the BMW 528i M Sport... it has various settings for suspension and throttle response...

Sport + / Sport / Comfort / Eco... it also does 0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds.

The CRV is his Wife's car but will be used when more space is required I guess which is why he went for such different vehicles and didn't get a 5 Series + a Ford Focus etc... I fancied him for a CLS and Fiesta for the wife !

• Like 1