Is Teaching In Thailand Career Suicide?

ivan96822

I have taught in the West for several years now and I have always thought about going abroad and teaching in an international school (I have a teaching license in the U.S., a B.A. in English, and a Masters in Education).

That said, I would be interested in teaching in Bangkok for a real international school. However, I would plan on staying anywhere from one to four years. Would this stint in Thailand cause potential employment problems down the line?

An international school in Tokyo or Hong Kong looks a lot different than a school in Bangkok on a resume (Am I wrong?). However, teaching in Thailand seems much more exciting.

What is/are your opinion(s)? Please respond.

Also, I am interested in hearing from those that can relate. I am not interested in hearing any horror stories, references to low wages (I have excellent qualifications), or suggestions as to where would be a better place to teach.

I am interested in teaching in Bangkok. Am I crazy for thinking this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I don't know what would be much more exciting about teaching in Bangkok than teaching in Beijing, Tokyo or Hong Kong. You could also pick Jakarta, Manila or Kuala Lumpur and it would still be as exciting, except if you also plan to enjoy everything Thailand has to offer and fear future potential employers could read that from your resume.

But if you think that a career is more important than enjoying life, then you are really crazy.

And to answer your question directly - yes, any prejudiced moron reading "Bangkok" in your resume will begin to imagine what you did to all these poor (and probably underage) girls that have been forced into the sex trade. But only morons will think that. Now it's up to you to tell me if you think people recruiting teachers in major schools are mainly prejudiced morons or not...

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

You are no crazier than most of the people posting on this forum.

I fail to see why teaching in BKK would not look good on your resume.

My only worry is the notorious reputation Bangkok has. Tokyo, obviously, is comparable to London, Vancouver, BC, or Paris.

My only worry is the notorious reputation Bangkok has. Tokyo, obviously, is comparable to London, Vancouver, BC, or Paris.

If it's notorious.. don't come to Bangkok.. there are plenty of other nice, non notorious places to work.

sent from my Q6

If it's notorious.. don't come to Bangkok.. there are plenty of other nice, non notorious places to work.

sent from my Q6

Well, you obviously didn't read my original post. I want to teach in Bangkok and I am not interested in advice on where I should go.

Edited by ivan96822

sent from my Q6

Well, you obviously didn't read my original post. I want to teach in Bangkok and I am not interested in advice on where I should go.

WELL if you WANT to teach in Bangkok.

Teach in Bangkok.

Stop making excuses and statements like "notorious"

It actually sounds more like excuses on why NOT to work in Bkk.

If the school is a decent international school and you don't post booty shots on Facebook. What's the problem. Enjoy.

sent from my Q6

You have constructed your question in such a way that we have no choice other than to recommend you come and teach in Bangkok. So, see you soon then.

I think you already know the answer- 4 years in Bangkok on the resume will look suspicious to a great many serious western employers. To others, it will not. The risk is there with this particular city unlike so many others.

• Like 1

Perhaps the OP would care to expand on his opinion that, "teaching in Thailand seems more exciting".

I have spent time in Thailand and enjoy it. The opportunities to teach there are appealing. The nightlife is great. I have no problem with friendly members of the opposite sex. The international city aspect of Bangkok makes it feel like a home away home in the West--only in the far East.

I do treat business life and social life like apples and oranges. You can have one as well as the other, so long as you know how to keep the two separate and far apart.

• Like 1

You have constructed your question in such a way that we have no choice other than to recommend you come and teach in Bangkok. So, see you soon then.

If those with alternative opinions wish to opine, feel free. I was just trying to avoid the typical "low wages--large classes--unsupportive staff" cliches that seem to riddle many of the posts in this forum.

Unfortunately the unsavory connotations that are attached to Thailand by many people in the west, with some justification, (lets be realistic here) could reflect less than favorably on a CV.

From your academic achievements it appears that you have already armed yourself with suitable qualifications to enhance your CV and it would seem reckless to detract from that.

It really boils down to "where you are at" in life, and what future goals you may have. For example, if you think that you would re-locate to Asia and live here permanently, I would say don't worry, go for it. However, as you intend to return to the west after only a short time here, I would say don't do it.

In other words, I think the reservations you express in your opening post are well founded.

If those with alternative opinions wish to opine, feel free. I was just trying to avoid the typical "low wages--large classes--unsupportive staff" cliches that seem to riddle many of the posts in this forum.

But you are stating you are a qualified teacher wanting to work for an International school. That doesn't happen so much if you choose carefully. You are aware that many private education institutes are merely money makers. Just try to avoid those. Have fun.

sent from my Q6

Ivan 96822.

There are a number of top level international schools in Bangkok who recruit from around the world.

Strangely enough many teachers who leave Bangkok or Thailand what ere you may prefer have no difficulties in obtaining positions in other top level internationalschools around the world.

There is as I am sure you know a reputable International teachers recruiting agency who have just held a job fair in Bangkok and I am informed they will hold another job fair around March time. The positions on offer are from around the world thus your horizon would be somewhat broadened..

Bangkok is no seedier than any other city if you want sleaze you can find it in any city or town or village anywhere in this world of ours

Perhaps as you've visited here a time or two you've been in contact with shall we say the more sexually liberated members of Thai society who have realised in many cases they can earn a living from that which they enjoy doing.

A number of we teachers have even married local girls and we have bred children too and become a mixed race family as a result of such deviant behavior, we've all but gone native or Jungly as my great uncle used to say when referring to old friends of his who had married an Indian girl and stayed in India as he did himself after the days of the Raj

Stereotypes and bigotry however small those ideals are serve no purpose.

Judge not others lest you be judged yourself.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Also, I am interested in hearing from those that can relate. I am not interested in hearing any horror stories, references to low wages (I have excellent qualifications), or suggestions as to where would be a better place to teach.

It seems to me you believe that because you have excellent qualifications you will escape the low wages of teaching in Bangkok. While I will admit you will make significantly more if you land a job at an international school it will still pale in comparison to what you could make in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, or any other developed nation in Asia. But on the flip side the cost of living here is much lower, so who knows, you might still come out ahead here.

So my take on coming here vs going somewhere else? I reckon since your career is in the teaching field then obviously taking up a teaching job in another country is not going to hurt you career wise. In my opinion teaching is teaching. It doesn't matter where you do it, it just depends on how you spin it on your resume and in interviews. I think Thailand is a good starting out point for those who have never taught internationally. You can always move on to one of those other countires after a year if you feel it would be more advantageous for your career.

Edited by mcnad

Finding a job at a good international school in Thailand is not that easy. Schools like Patana, NISB, ISB, Harrow etc. have prestigious reputations on the international circuit. They are amongst the most in demand schools to work for (in the world). All of the above mentioned are deemed to be tier 1 schools and it doesn't matter in which country they are, they all look great on a resume. The country does not matter a bit.

You could say the same for a lot of other international schools in Thailand.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the location to be honest. It is the school that future employers will want to know about and what you did when you were there.

• Like 2

^^^^^^^^

I appreciate the insight, folks...

That said, I do not feel the need to find the most prestigious international school in Bangkok. My background is with high schoolers, though I did teach seventh graders one year, too.

I would be perfectly content to earn 60,000 to 70,000 Thai baht per month. Has anyone got any suggestions or advice related to this latest tidbit of information?

If you are at the beginning or middle of your career, my answer is "yes." Too many assumptions made be too many resume-readers, and the level of education here is in the toilet.

If you are near the end of your career, it's a wonderful "last job"--relaxed, low-key, friendly atmosphere, adoring students, and lots to do/see.

If you are at the beginning or middle of your career, my answer is "yes." Too many assumptions made be too many resume-readers, and the level of education here is in the toilet.

If you are near the end of your career, it's a wonderful "last job"--relaxed, low-key, friendly atmosphere, adoring students, and lots to do/see.

So what do you feel is wrong with doing a one to four year stint in Bangkok after four years of teaching in the West?

I'm not saying that other responses to this post should be taken as gospel, but I do understand that a reputable school will be a reputable school whether it is in Berlin, Brussels, or Bangkok.

^^^^^^^^

I appreciate the insight, folks...

That said, I do not feel the need to find the most prestigious international school in Bangkok. My background is with high schoolers, though I did teach seventh graders one year, too.

I would be perfectly content to earn 60,000 to 70,000 Thai baht per month. Has anyone got any suggestions or advice related to this latest tidbit of information?

The schools that pay what you quoted will in most cases, be poorly run (some might do things that a proper teacher would consider criminal)...kowtowing to unreasonable parent demands, blaming the teacher for any (including unfounded) parent complaints, placing children with no English skills whatsoever in a year 6 classroom for example, then blaming the teacher when the child has difficulties, not allowing teachers to be honest in their reporting, the list goes on.

If you are serious about working here, go to the ISS (or the other one, forgot its name) job fairs near you. They are held every year in multiple locations in the US, England, Bangkok and other places.

You will be paid well and be happy in your workplace if you do. If not, be prepared to just shut up and go with whatever the administration (who only care about one thing; bodies in classrooms) tells you to do. You may find an exception, but be prepared for the worst.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the unsavory connotations that are attached to Thailand by many people in the west, with some justification, (lets be realistic here) could reflect less than favorably on a CV.

Honestly, I wouldn't give a toss about it. If somebody asked me why I had decided to live in Thailand, I would reply that winters were too cold and lasted too long in my home country, which would be true in my case because the ghastly weather back home is the main reason why I want to spend al least the 2~3 coldest winter months in the LOS (if not the whole year). All over the world, including Central Europe where I come from, there are go-go bars and other similar establishments, but only in some parts of the world you can enjoy great weather all over the year. And if my interlocutor (prospective employer) was still suspicious that I had chosen Thailand mainly for the sake of the ladies of the night, it would be his or her problem and not mine. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

So what do you feel is wrong with doing a one to four year stint in Bangkok after four years of teaching in the West?

I'm not saying that other responses to this post should be taken as gospel, but I do understand that a reputable school will be a reputable school whether it is in Berlin, Brussels, or Bangkok.

Really? Thailand's oldest flagship university, considered the "creme-de-la-creme" in Thailand, venerated, honored, hallowed, etc. Is rated 294th in the world. Try another tact.

• Chulalongkorn University website won the most popularity in Thailand, 40th in Asia, and 294th in the world, according to the rankings of 11,000 universities in 200 nations across the globe conducted by 4 International Colleges & Universities.
(from Chula website)

I have one of my old Uni housemates teaching here in Bangkok, for the past 4 years. I don't think it has done any harm to his resume, and he works at a very well respected International School. I am sure when the time comes, he will find a good job back in Blighty. There is always a risk when you do something a little more outside of the box, but why not just go for it. It sounds like you have already made up your mind anyhow.

So can anyone on this forum let me know of a few international schools that pay in the 60,000 to 80,000 Thai baht per month range?

I know--as one person posted--that securing a job at an international school is not the easiest thing to do, but I figure that enough folks reading this must certainly have some credible input. Let me know!