Introduce yourself

tc101

I have been reading over the posts here for the last few days. There are a number of people here who seem to be very interested in and knowledgeable about Buddhism. I would like to know more about you. I am new here, and if there is already some place that you have written your bios as Buddhists them please point me to that. Otherwise, if you have the time, I would love to know more about your backgrounds, espically in Buddhism.

I'll start, by reposting something I wrote in another topic:

I am 56, recently retired, and thinking about maybe moving to Thailand, or maybe living there several months a year. I visited there breifly 30 years ago, but that doesn't really count, so think of me as someone who is totally new.

I have been practicing meditaiton for most of my life. I have been connected with various Sangha's here in America. I have spent time with Zen, Tibetian and Vipassana groups. I think of myself as a Buddhist is a very liberal sense. If you have read "Buddhism without Beliefs" that fits me.

Welcome freind.

I am not really qualified to answer your question.

One thing I do beleive is that Bhuddism means different things to different people.

I am sure you will get far more intellegent comments than mine from other Members who regularly read this sub-forum

Chok Dee

TP

Welcome freind.

I am not really qualified to answer your question.

One thing I do beleive is that Bhuddism means different things to different people.

I am sure you will get far more intellegent comments than mine from other Members who regularly read this sub-forum

Chok Dee

TP

Some may speak of it better TP, but you live it. In more than one thread you've shown yourself to be very compassionate towards others.

Far too many can quote the right verses, but fail on the actions.

You did spell buddhism wrong though. :o

cv

I'm a rice farmer in northern Thailand. I don't know much about Buddhism in general. I tend to be a Theravada Buddhist because I try to learn and follow what the Buddha taught specifically and try to avoid all of the add ons from other people. Theravada Buddhism recognizes the Suttas found in the Tipitaka and a collection of commentaries associated works.....this collection of scriptures is what is relied on for resolving differences of opinion about what is what...other scriptures are not used by Theravada Buddhists in this way....but other scriptures can be inspirational too, it is just that if there is some point to be resolved then the recognized scriptures are the ones used. Theravada Buddhism is the kind practiced in Thailand mostly.

Welcome,

Chownah

Buddhism is a philosophy I have alot of interest in; it's given me many great insights into the process of life and death, as well as how to control my anger and how to deal with the occasional blues, how to be tolerant and non-judgemental. I was interested in Budhism when I lived in the US and meditated occasionally at the Zen Center in San Francisco. I was quite taken aback by the Thai approach to Buddhism and was seriously disillusioned with Buddhism in Thailand when I firsat moved here.

I don't consider myself a Buddhist and I rarely post on ThaiVisa.

Fell in with 'beat buddhism' in college. Travelled to Asia in the 70s to experience Buddhist cultures first-hand. Studied Thai orthodox Buddhism for a few years, now fall somewhere between the two extremes (but more orthodox than beat).

Welcome to the Buddhism branch of thaivisa.com's expat forum, tc101. :o

There's a large, if seemingly invisible, number of foreigners intestigating, studying and practicing Buddhism here in Thailand so you'll find plenty of company if you decide to move here.

:o Yes, indeed, I think there is no need for glitzy temples etc...it is in ones heart...mindfulness etc..spent 4 delightful years teaching at Buddhist University in Chiengmai...wonderful experience...Buddhadasa Bhikkhu and Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh are my inspirations...well worth a read..as many sects of buddhism as there are christianity...living here for over 5 years have observed the inextricable link between buddhism and thai culture daily...like any followers, good and bad...look forward to reading more insights on this thread... :D Dukkha

Hi

I also tend not to post on this forum much nowadys. But I've been practicing Buddhism for about the past 30 years. I initially begun practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, but needed to try other forms of Buddhism as well , i.e. Theravada and Tibetan Mahayana before returning to my intitial practice.

SGT (Soka Gakkai Thailand) is quite large numerically and growing (about 60-70,000 members). There is also a 'Rainbow Group' for foreigners that meets in Wittayo, Bangkok on a weekly basis ( I think that there may also be similar in Pattaya and Chiang Mai?)

I would be pleased to expand more upon our beliefs and practice, although you can also follow the links in my signature to learn more.

Best wishes :o

Colin

I am actually a bible reading Christian, however, I find Buddhism the most facinating philosophy and have many Buddhist friends. We enjoy long discussions, never having conflict even on points of disagreemant. On the whole their tolerance and respect of others beliefs is to be commended. Non Buddhists could learn a lot from them.

I check this forum every time I'm on tv, and occasionally post because I find it an interesting place to read of the different slants on Buddhism. Although there are occasional 'conflicts' of opinion, it is one of the least conflictual forums - which is nice!

Edited by suegha

I notice many people come to this thread to learn more about Buddhism, go figure. I notice that many, myself included ask similar questions. It might be also that some of us take time to post because we don't know what to ask or perhaps are intimidated by the topic itself or if reading the forum, some of the more knowlegdeable members. So, would it be a good idea to have something like a new member forum so that people can get to know those you post and read here often? Maybe even use the thread for brainstroming topics or perhaps some introductory information to give people an idea for topics. I have often wanted to contribute to this forum but had difficulty think of something to add. I don't know, just an idea. What do you guys think?

I notice many people come to this thread to learn more about Buddhism, go figure. I notice that many, myself included ask similar questions. It might be also that some of us take time to post because we don't know what to ask or perhaps are intimidated by the topic itself or if reading the forum, some of the more knowlegdeable members. So, would it be a good idea to have something like a new member forum so that people can get to know those you post and read here often? Maybe even use the thread for brainstroming topics or perhaps some introductory information to give people an idea for topics. I have often wanted to contribute to this forum but had difficulty think of something to add. I don't know, just an idea. What do you guys think?

Maybe a thread where newcomers and non buddhists can ask anything?

cv

cv

Now, that's what I am talking about. I think we need something to help ground our feet into, if that makes sense. Or maybe a thread that was like "topic of the week", just something to keep the flow going and something that newcomers and nonBuddhist could grab on to. Yeah, good idea CV! :o

I hope this thread will be used to make understanding the Buddhist forum and it's supporters a little easier for newcomers and nonBuddhists wishing to learn more or engage in discussions on Buddhists topics. Here people might introduce themselves, interests or topics they have an interest in. In this way the more knowledgeable members can maybe answer quick questions here instead of creating a whole new thread for something that has been covered or can be covered quickly. We can also explore ideas for topics that would make great individual threads for the forum.

I hope the members will find this forum useful and fun. Thanks to CV for the idea!

Thanks Thaibebop :o

I'm living in BKK, and while I don't strictly identify myself as a Buddhist I do believe the Buddha was a real person who taught a liberating doctrine.

I've been practicing meditation alone for 10 years or so, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit isolated. The Buddha placed a high importance on the ideal of a Kalyana Mitta, noble friendship as a support to travelling the Path and crossing the other shore. It's not easy finding such a support, though I suspect this is more an indictment on my character than anything else.

I kind of hope to find others that are on the Path, yet I'm unsure of what practical form this could take. While I've been loosely associated with various organisations, meditation groups and meditators over the years, I've never really found another on my ......dare I say, wavelength? I keep thinking I should get off my ass and be more active in this regard, hence me visiting this forum today. I've gotta move in different circles.

I see myself as a serious meditator, and basically spend all my spare time sitting and walking. However, with the term finished I now have a lot of time to Practice......actually too much time. I used to think I could be content Practicing in my apartment 10 hours a day, every day. But am now coming to terms with the fact that it seems I cannot. I'm currently struggling with energies that tend to go in a direction diametrically opposed to Dhamma, being a single male in this city, I need not hint at what this direction is.

Has there ever been any attempt on this (sub-) forum for posters to informally meet? Being a born again cynic, I tend to be a bit doubtful about the success of such an idea, but you never know, some good could come of it. I liked what one poster said about being a solitary adherent, this is what I've always seen myself as. Being a solitary adherent is OK when things are going well, but with dark clouds looming on the horizon, I struggle to adhere to anything except the beckoning call of Mara's daughters.

I'm not very computer literate, and I don't know if this forum has the facility to 'post mail' other members (i know some forums do). But tc101, if I can help in any way post mail me (if poss), I've lived and worked here for 4 years and know a bit about the place, or if anyone else wants to, please do so. Well, perhaps I've said too much already.

With metta

Mara's bondsman

Hi

I also tend not to post on this forum much nowadys. But I've been practicing Buddhism for about the past 30 years. I initially begun practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, but needed to try other forms of Buddhism as well , i.e. Theravada and Tibetan Mahayana before returning to my intitial practice.

SGT (Soka Gakkai Thailand) is quite large numerically and growing (about 1ml -nueng lan members). There is also a 'Rainbow Group' for foreigners that meets in Wittayo, Bangkok on a weekly basis ( I think that there may also be similar in Pattaya and Chiang Mai?)

I would be pleased to expand more upon our beliefs and practice, although you can also follow the links in my signature to learn more.

Best wishes :o

Colin

Apparently links aren't allowed in signatures anymore.So if anyone is genuingly interested in the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin then I'd be pleased to communicate by PM.Or anyone can search the web by typing in SGI and the relevant countrty. For example UKor USA, etc.

Do what you won't regret, freedom is yourself respect.-KMFDM

I think most of us here will agree that regret is an empty emotion, but are we looking at that only in regards to ourself? What about when the regret is something that has hurt other people, and maybe continues to hurt other people? Should this emotion be looked at differently now?

What if your family is in a bad place, experiencing hard times, and this is all a result of your decision making? You are accountable are you not? Does regret as an emotion play a different role in this case?

Has there ever been any attempt on this (sub-) forum for posters to informally meet? Being a born again cynic, I tend to be a bit doubtful about the success of such an idea, but you never know, some good could come of it.

It was mentioned around New Year, but that probably wasn't the best time for a get-together. It depends how you define "success." We have relatively few "experts" in this forum and we are spread out around the country.

I liked what one poster said about being a solitary adherent, this is what I've always seen myself as. Being a solitary adherent is OK when things are going well, but with dark clouds looming on the horizon, I struggle to adhere to anything except the beckoning call of Mara's daughters.

I'm certainly not qualified to advise on resisting Mara's daughters but I remember John Blofeld wrote that his Chinese (Mahayana) friends in the 1930s told him we aren't supposed to torment ourselves with abstinence, rather we should get married and work on the gradual reduction of lust through meditation.

I'm not very computer literate, and I don't know if this forum has the facility to 'post mail' other members (i know some forums do).

It's called PM - Private Mail. You can see a PM button at the bottom of posts and also you can click on My Controls at the top of the page.

I liked what one poster said about being a solitary adherent, this is what I've always seen myself as. Being a solitary adherent is OK when things are going well, but with dark clouds looming on the horizon, I struggle to adhere to anything except the beckoning call of Mara's daughters.

I'm certainly not qualified to advise on resisting Mara's daughters but I remember John Blofeld wrote that his Chinese (Mahayana) friends in the 1930s told him we aren't supposed to torment ourselves with abstinence, rather we should get married and work on the gradual reduction of lust through meditation.

Camerata friend, been there, done that......and believe me.......it works! :o

This branch of thaivisa.com has always been open to newcomers and non-Buddhists alike. In fact I'd estimate no more than half of the folks who have posted here would call themselves Buddhists. Thaibebop, are you saying that you believe people are intimidated by the name of this forum branch (Buddhism)? And that we need a 'newcomers forum' within the forum? Because if people are intimidated by the forum branch, they're not likely to venture into the forum far enough in the first place to discover a 'newcomer' thread or subforum.

Speaking as a both a moderator and a member, I am not a fan of 'catch-all' threads that go on for hundreds of posts. I think they end up being obfuscatory and potentially more intimidating to newcomers than shorter threads with specific foci.

If we were to have a newcomers thread then there's the difficulty of keeping it on the first topic page if it's not regularly contributed to. It could be pinned to the top of the forum branch, but then it ends up like the 'places to eat' thread in the Chiang Mai forum - very long and with little continuity, and with most members ignoring it and posting new topics specifically relevant to the particular restaurant or eating experience.

We had a 'Thought for the Day' thread here for awhile but I closed it as it ended up having little to do with Buddhism, and seemed to invite an ever-increasing number of trolls. 'Thomas Merton' ended up re-starting that thread in Bedlam.

We do have the topic going now, initiated ty tc101, where members visiting this branch are introducing themselves. Perhaps this will partially serve the same goal?

If what you mean is that we need something to generate more traffic here, then I think it's up to inidivdual members to post topics of relevance to Buddhism. This is something I and others have tried to do by regularly posting news related to Buddhism, details on new art, literature, film, etc.

I wouldn't want to search for ways merely to fill up the space for the sake of filling it up. I haven't heard any complaints from admins on the traffic here so assume it's OK as it is. That doesn't mean I'm not open to other ideas though.

One thing I feel strongly about is that I don't see this branch as the place to post regular 'lessons' on how to become a Buddhist or practice Buddhism. I've been the Buddhism mod since the start of this forum, and I've always conceived of it 1) as a place where those who are involved in Buddhism already can discuss views and ideas (no different from the motoring or business branches in that sense); 2) as a place where those new to Buddhism or the merely curious can ask questions and get answers from other members; and 3) as a clearing-house for information on Buddhism in Thailand in particular (seeing as how this is thaivisa.com :o ).

Members can ask anything, anytime, and I haven't got the sense from anyone yet that members feel otherwise. At the top of this forum branch I've pinned a general welcome message that makes this explicit.

I'm also merging Thaibebop's 'welcome mat' thread with tc101's introduce yourself thread, as they both seemed to have the same objective.

Although there are occasional 'conflicts' of opinion, it is one of the least conflictual forums - which is nice!

That's an interesting point. Even though it would seem there is plenty of room for disagreement, perhaps it's the 'cooling' aspect of Buddhism that keeps things relatively civil here.

Always good to have your input, Suegha.

This branch of thaivisa.com has always been open to newcomers and non-Buddhists alike. In fact I'd estimate no more than half of the folks who have posted here would call themselves Buddhists. Thaibebop, are you saying that you believe people are intimidated by the name of this forum branch (Buddhism)? And that we need a 'newcomers forum' within the forum? Because if people are intimidated by the forum branch, they're not likely to venture into the forum far enough in the first place to discover a 'newcomer' thread or subforum. I am saying that some people my want to ask something basic, that can be covered quickly, save starting new thread for more indepth questions. Also, I myself have at times thought about posting questions that I ending being against because to have another thread that goes "What does buddhism say about...." seemed lame and a waste of space. Also, some people, myself included sometimes, don't know what to ask. So, what is wrong with starting a thread that we help people get an idea of what to talk about?

Speaking as a both a moderator and a member, I am not a fan of 'catch-all' threads that go on for hundreds of posts. I think they end up being obfuscatory and potentially more intimidating to newcomers than shorter threads with specific foci.

I disagree, people are more likely to get involved if other people and more people are getting involved. A short thread where very knowelagdeable people such as yourself write in almost essay form, instead of discussion form, is what is intimidating. Such posts hold alot of knowlegdeable, which I appreciate, yet leave little room to contribute. Thus the poster might feel that unless he/she can write as well and as with as much significance as you and others then he/she shouldn't post, for fear of sounding stupid or childish.

If we were to have a newcomers thread then there's the difficulty of keeping it on the first topic page if it's not regularly contributed to. It could be pinned to the top of the forum branch, but then it ends up like the 'places to eat' thread in the Chiang Mai forum - very long and with little continuity, and with most members ignoring it and posting new topics specifically relevant to the particular restaurant or eating experience.

That is why I offered a simple topic starter, regret, something that everyone can relate to and is something that can commented on without years of reading and meditation under their belts.

We had a 'Thought for the Day' thread here for awhile but I closed it as it ended up having little to do with Buddhism, and seemed to invite an ever-increasing number of trolls. 'Thomas Merton' ended up re-starting that thread in Bedlam. Thought of the is boring, I am talking about true discourse not just ask the experts.

We do have the topic going now, initiated ty tc101, where members visiting this branch are introducing themselves. Perhaps this will partially serve the same goal?

If what you mean is that we need something to generate more traffic here, then I think it's up to inidivdual members to post topics of relevance to Buddhism. This is something I and others have tried to do by regularly posting news related to Buddhism, details on new art, literature, film, etc.

I wouldn't want to search for ways merely to fill up the space for the sake of filling it up. I haven't heard any complaints from admins on the traffic here so assume it's OK as it is. That doesn't mean I'm not open to other ideas though.

All I see is a high number of people who have looked at the topic but a very low number who have actually posted. Why don't the others post?

One thing I feel strongly about is that I don't see this branch as the place to post regular 'lessons' on how to become a Buddhist or practice Buddhism. I've been the Buddhism mod since the start of this forum, and I've always conceived of it 1) as a place where those who are involved in Buddhism already can discuss views and ideas (no different from the motoring or business branches in that sense); 2) as a place where those new to Buddhism or the merely curious can ask questions and get answers from other members; and 3) as a clearing-house for information on Buddhism in Thailand in particular (seeing as how this is thaivisa.com :o ). I completely agree with you. I just thought to make things more approachable for those who want to know.

Members can ask anything, anytime, and I haven't got the sense from anyone yet that members feel otherwise. At the top of this forum branch I've pinned a general welcome message that makes this explicit.

I'm also merging Thaibebop's 'welcome mat' thread with tc101's introduce yourself thread, as they both seemed to have the same objective.

I see what you're saying, Thaibebop. The problem with having a single mult-purpose thread like this is that the many 'simple questions' addressed will be interleaved (is that the right word?) between answers to other simple questions and introductions, etc, and I think it may actually make it harder for someone to get an answer to their question than if they simply create a new topic for that purpose

As for taking up space, I'm not sure that multiple threads take up more space than one long one of similar word count but I'm hardly an expert on such matters. I don't think it's of major concern when you see the massive verbiage under General Topics and other tv.com forum branches.

If there's a problem with people like myself writing too essay-like, etc, having a long thread won't prevent that. If that's a problem it's something I should work on personally. It may be an occupational hazard, since I'm a freelance writer by trade so am used to writing (or attempting to write) in fact-based/essay form sort of way. I do think there are other regular members posting here - such as your own good self - who are able to keep it simple, even when I can't. :o

At any rate, you've got your wish, this will be the great catch-all, introduce-yourself and ask-simple-questions thread! I hope it works out well. Of course members are still welcome to post new topics focussed on a single theme, whether it's a question or an announcement or whatever.

I see what you're saying, Thaibebop. The problem with having a single mult-purpose thread like this is that the many 'simple questions' addressed will be interleaved (is that the right word?) between answers to other simple questions and introductions, etc, and I think it may actually make it harder for someone to get an answer to their question than if they simply create a new topic for that purpose

I admit this was something I thought of after posting, and yes it might be a problem. I figured the experiment to see if it worked might be fun.

As for taking up space, I'm not sure that multiple threads take up more space than one long one of similar word count but I'm hardly an expert on such matters. I don't think it's of major concern when you see the massive verbiage under General Topics and other tv.com forum branches. I meant more along the lines of people not looking for threads. I wasn't being very clear sorry. A lot of people find it easier to start a new thread than look for one which has been started and deals with their topic, but even in that you are most likely right.

If there's a problem with people like myself writing too essay-like, etc, having a long thread won't prevent that. If that's a problem it's something I should work on personally. It may be an occupational hazard, since I'm a freelance writer by trade so am used to writing (or attempting to write) in fact-based/essay form sort of way. I do think there are other regular members posting here - such as your own good self - who are able to keep it simple, even when I can't. :DI have learned a lot from your posts and I want to make it clear that I have no objection to your style of writing. I think it is great that their are such well read members here who can offer such info so easily.

At any rate, you've got your wish, this will be the great catch-all, introduce-yourself and ask-simple-questions thread! I hope it works out well. Of course members are still welcome to post new topics focussed on a single theme, whether it's a question or an announcement or whatever.

Yes, will we see, but now after a couple of days already I think you are right. So, perhaps I will post my idea of regret in it's own thread. Thanks for letting me experiment. :o

Yes, will we see, but now after a couple of days already I think you are right. So, perhaps I will post my idea of regret in it's own thread. Thanks for letting me experiment.

You're most welcome. And maybe this will work out, let's wait and see. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

Hi my name is Steve, and I'm a Buddhist. :D

Sounds like an AA meeting.

I'm currently working on the gradual reduction of desire through an extensive practise of laziness and distraction.

I wanted to become a Buddhist monk in the Tibetan tradition but the girlfriend wouldn't let me.

:o:D Marry a Thai Buddhist and that excuse will evaporate ...

I'm currently working on the gradual reduction of desire through an extensive practise of laziness and distraction.

I wanted to become a Buddhist monk in the Tibetan tradition but the girlfriend wouldn't let me.

Tried that one but the girlfriend was having none of that as well :D

Come to think of it, can't monks in most Tibetan Buddhist (Gelugpa excepted) sects marry?

Come to think of it, can't monks in most Tibetan Buddhist (Gelugpa excepted) marry?

I would say some but not most. The Gelugs ( the root of my tradition ) and the Kagyus have celebate monks. That accounts for a majority I would say. The Sakyas I'm not sure about and the Nyingmas certainly have some married monks although they may have the celebate kind as well.