Missing Swiss Student Tourist Alive And Well, In Thai Prison

Lite Beer

I imagine it would be rather easy to prove who owns the camera. A receipt, a credit card or bank statement showing the transaction, some kind of invoice (online or otherwise), etc. can easily be presented in this day and age.

Silly girl, the overstay was easily handled, all she had to do was pay and that would have been it, but pocketing an Immigration officer's camera, big mistake.

If she did it that is.

Exactly, she is accused of stealing a camera- she has yet to be convicted.

Scary about the lock up and her family not knowing her where abouts.

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

Something smell like fermented crab here. One wonders how long she would have remained in the lockup if her family didnt search for her.

Agreed, this one fails the smell test.

Problem is, i don't know which direction the smell is coming from, or if its from both! I don't buy the camera story, but its pretty risky to arrest visitors and deliberately breach protocol by not notifying anyone.

Firstly I think there is more to this story than reported, the girl's side has not been aired and why would the immigration officer have a camera on his desk? Where did he appropriate it from?

Secondly the question arises on how they come up with the figure of 130,000 THB bail? The Thai actor who shot and killed a 'friend' in a car park a few days ago was initially released on 200,000 THB bail!

I do not agree with her actions (if totally true), she must of really pissed off the immigration guy to be charged with overstay!

It will be interesting to see if her side of the story is published!

• Like 1

Did I miss something?

Where is the evidence that this young lady stole a camera, and is now or was required to pay 130,000 baht for its replacement?

I'd like to know what kind of immigration officer can afford a 130,000 baht camera to sit in his/her office - cos a top Nikon with zoom lens and additional lenses is only 70K !!!

-mel. ohmy.png

I will never believed this story...you telling me a student from Switzerland went inside an interrogatory room at Immigration to stole a camera? Are you out of your mind?

Well done Thai police, keep up with the good jobs!!!!

I imagine it would be rather easy to prove who owns the camera. A receipt, a credit card or bank statement showing the transaction, some kind of invoice (online or otherwise), etc. can easily be presented in this day and age.

Of course. But why would they really need to. All they have to say is that it was in her pocket and she stole it. She didn't even need to have it really.

If she is a real pratt they just see a camera on the table and decide to say she stole it. Police against her, no chance for her.

But even if she did steal it, or try too, the real issue is locking her up and not notifying the embassy or allowing her to contact anyone. That is the terrible thing.

Police should only make the arrest, they aren't supposed to mete out summary justice. That is not their role. Well in theory anyway.

Well if she could prove that the camera was hers then it would look really bad on the arresting police officers. If I were her, and the camera were really mine, you better believe the first chance I got to speak to my family I would tell them to get a copy of the receipt/invoice so that I could provide it to my attorney. In fact, it seems pretty risky if the police really did try to plant it on her. Like I said, the owner of the camera can be found out easily. The police would have to feel pretty confident that she wouldn't be able to prove it's hers in order to try to plant it on her.

But yes I agree about locking her up and not contacing anyone for her. That is inexcusable.

Firstly I think there is more to this story than reported, the girl's side has not been aired and why would the immigration officer have a camera on his desk? Where did he appropriate it from?

Secondly the question arises on how they come up with the figure of 130,000 THB bail? The Thai actor who shot and killed a 'friend' in a car park a few days ago was initially released on 200,000 THB bail!

I do not agree with her actions (if totally true), she must of really pissed off the immigration guy to be charged with overstay!

It will be interesting to see if her side of the story is published!

1.) Why do you think it's so odd that an immigration officer would have a camera on their desk? There are a million reasons the camera could have been there. Maybe there was a staff party? Birthday Party? Immigration officer just got back from vaca and wanted to show everyone the pics? Seriously...

2.) The $130,000 bail seems a bit excessive especially when you compare it to example you listed. But if she did really steal the camera, she tried to steal it from an immigration officer! I can image they would slap her with the highest bail they could out of spite. Not saying it's right, just saying that's the way things work here.

3.) She would have been charged overstay no matter what. She could have crawled on her hands and knees kissing arse like there's no tomorrow and it wouldn't have made a difference. What pissed them off was the fact that she refused to pay it (which she admitted to).

Edited by mcnad

It could be possible that the Swiss embassy was well notified but as in other case not show up. I know a case where they not contacted a prisoner for more than 4 weeks. And this prisoner was put with no guilt in jail. During this 4 weeks the police helped a "person" to steal all his belongings of more than 1 mio bath. TIT and TIS (switzerland).

Anyway I doubt this girl has stolen a cheap camera as I know a lot about the doing of officials, specially if they lost face.

Did I miss something?

Where is the evidence that this young lady stole a camera, and is now or was required to pay 130,000 baht for its replacement?

I'd like to know what kind of immigration officer can afford a 130,000 baht camera to sit in his/her office - cos a top Nikon with zoom lens and additional lenses is only 70K !!!

-mel. ohmy.png

I will never believed this story...you telling me a student from Switzerland went inside an interrogatory room at Immigration to stole a camera? Are you out of your mind?

Well done Thai police, keep up with the good jobs!!!!

Are you saying just because she is a university student from Switzerland that automatically means she can't do something stupid? George Bush graduated from Yale, and he lied to a whole country just to go to war. Bill O'Reily graduated from Harvard and look at the nonsensical dribble that springs forth from his mouth. I know those are extreme examples, but it shows that you can't assume she's innocent just because she goes to a decent university.

Edited by mcnad
  • Like 2

Silly girl, the overstay was easily handled, all she had to do was pay and that would have been it, but pocketing an Immigration officer's camera, big mistake.

If she did it that is.

Before I started using the mobile service I went to the Ranong office for my visa extensions and 90 day report, I simply could not see them locking someone up without good reason.

Well maybe, but something about this story seems off. I'd like to hear this women's side of the story, she might have a very different series of events to relate. Why was no one aware of her imprisonment for so long? Why wasn't her embassy informed?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

So you would take all receipts for everything you have bought, or invoices, on a visa run, assuming you would have to do one?

You think that kind of information is easily presentable to immigration, at a border point?

You soon changed your tune!

Previous posts suggest you were all against her, but then a turn around. I wonder why? whistling.gif

-mel.

I'm not sure why anyone should think that people aren't capable of the strangest things. I remember a BBC documentary about Klong Prem , where a British bloke was serving a sentence for nicking the police camera whilst being held for questioning - he was caught shoplifiting I think. These things happen for whatever bizarre reason.

Edited by chutai

its weird enough to see someone refusing to pay the 3 days overstay fees, top of that stealing a camera when one is gonna face potential deportation.

something is not right, could be with the girl but must be real naive and had a heck of a arrogance to pull this off

If she did it that is.

Before I started using the mobile service I went to the Ranong office for my visa extensions and 90 day report, I simply could not see them locking someone up without good reason.

Well maybe, but something about this story seems off. I'd like to hear this women's side of the story, she might have a very different series of events to relate. Why was no one aware of her imprisonment for so long? Why wasn't her embassy informed?

I agree that it would be good to hear her side as well.

So you would take all receipts for everything you have bought, or invoices, on a visa run, assuming you would have to do one?

You think that kind of information is easily presentable to immigration, at a border point?

Previous posts suggest you were all against her, but then a turn around. I wonder why? whistling.gif

-mel.

1.) No, I wouldn't take all my receipts on a visa run. But I would know where to get them as soon as I had access to them. I'm saying if the camera was hers, she should be able to prove that in court very easily. At some point she would be allowed access to an attorney or an embassy rep who could get a hold of the receipt/invoice for the camera.

2.) I didn't change my tune at all. From the beginning I said she should have been allowed a phone call to at least contact her family. But in this case, I really do think she was just being a pratt. She refused to pay her overstay (which she admitted), and then she allegedly stole a camera. In this case I believe what immigration has to say. Of course if she proves that the camera is hers then I will gladly eat crow. smile.png

Did I miss something?

-mel. ohmy.png

The Canon A640 was introduced in 2006 and is now discontinued. If she was hot for that camera, she has no taste.

David

• Like 1

Heck, I thought perhaps I could make a difference in the forum discourse by pointing out early on the probability that none of the "facts" are correct.

You were too late. The usual hang 'em high gang got in first, judged her guilty as charged, and ran with their prejudices.

Anybody who takes this report as an accurate description of an actual theft was born yesterday.

• Like 1

Heck, I thought perhaps I could make a difference in the forum discourse by pointing out early on the probability that none of the "facts" are correct.

You were too late. The usual hang 'em high gang got in first, judged her guilty as charged, and ran with their prejudices.

Anybody who takes this report as an accurate description of an actual theft was born yesterday.

Really? Let's see, we're dealing with a foreigner vs. thai immigration/police. I would think the usual hang 'em high gang are the ones who are blaming the thai immigration officers and police, not the foreigner (as is what usually happens on these forums when it involves foreigner vs. thai).

-mel.

1.) No, I wouldn't take all my receipts on a visa run. But I would know where to get them as soon as I had access to them. I'm saying if the camera was hers, she should be able to prove that in court very easily. At some point she would be allowed access to an attorney or an embassy rep who could get a hold of the receipt/invoice for the camera.

2.) I didn't change my tune at all. From the beginning I said she should have been allowed a phone call to at least contact her family. But in this case, I really do think she was just being a pratt. She refused to pay her overstay (which she admitted), and then she allegedly stole a camera. In this case I believe what immigration has to say. Of course if she proves that the camera is hers then I will gladly eat crow. smile.png

I would know......

as soon as I had access to them......

She should be able to.......

Do you live in Thailand, per chance?

She was locked up by immigration immediately....... do you know what that REALLY means???

Where's Nisa, when we need her for the good cause.... cheesy.gif

-mel. laugh.png