Where Is A Good, Free Storage Site For Photos... Not Photobucket.

I like Picasa.

The integration between PC client and the webalbums (google hosted) makes whole process very easy to use. I also use Picasa in a way of backup. I will have at least some resolution photos left if an meteorite would hit to my home.

After downloading images to my laptop, Picasa application will find the photos and display on the application.

Picasa PC client (on Linux)

picasa-pc1.jpg

There is easy to to edit buttons and I'm feeling luck, which I quite often use. The program tries to figure out best corrections to the photo with one click.

Picasa PC client - edit mode

picasa-edit-image.jpg

After this, make an caption and assign the photo to an album. Albums can be syncronized to the picasa webalbums. I use 2048px resolution, which does not use the 5GB free quota. Unlimited storage in this way. The best part of the albums is that the syncking is done in the background. I have currently quite slow connection so the syncking can be done during the night if needed for big amount of photos.

When the syncking is enabled, captions can be added via PC client or picasaweb page. Modifications to the captions as well ass images will be reflected to both sides.

Picasa web albums

picasa-web.jpg

Albums can be made Public (for the whole world to see), Accessed with people who have the link and private.

When the albums are on Public or link mode, it's possible to copy the image urls and post for example to here.

Picasa web albums - sharing photos

picasa-sharing.jpg

Picasa web album

https://picasaweb.google.com/112378562316323165329/2013Phuket

Edited by Guest

The problem I have with Picasa, is the problem I have with all Google services. The price you pay is offering them an unlimited stream of information that Google can use for whatever purpose they choose and have a bad record of keeping it "private".

Edited by Curt1591

I just try not to put anything too private to the internet - to any services.

Then again. Using Google+ must be the best privacy protection. If you put anything to the plus feed, nobody will ever see it anyway ;)

I just try not to put anything too private to the internet - to any services.

Then again. Using Google+ must be the best privacy protection. If you put anything to the plus feed, nobody will ever see it anyway wink.png

It's not just a matter of what you post.

Any time you touch anything Google, it drops a wad of cookies. Many of these are tracking cookies. Not only do they know what you do on any Google site, they know where you've been.

I have a good cookie managing client that deletes all but the cookies I designate as favorites, every 5 minutes. Google is definitely not on my favorites list.

To illustrate how invasive these sites can be, a guy, working on his thesis about internet privacy, got Facebook to send him all the information they had on him. What he received was a 1,200 page PDF document!

And, then there all those who swear by Chrome!

Edited by Curt1591

• 4 weeks later...

As of this morning my picasa web albums were moved from picasa to google+ images.

The change was bad. I could not share the image links anymore and overall user experience was not so good as before. I think I'll call Google+ as Australia from now on as it seems that Google moves it's evil employees there to have their own mayhem service.. Maybe after few hundreds of years it will become a nice place to be..

After looking for picasa forums there were suggestions that deleting Google+ profile will give the old picasa experience back.

To be honest I was scared to do this move as I was afraid it would break something.

I did it anyway as the G+ was just too annoying. Nothing seemed break and now I'm happy to say that I have escaped the Google+ prison! :)

How to delete Google+ (be extra careful not to delete the whole Google account)

http://picasatutorials.com/2012/05/what-happened-to-picasa-web-albums/

As of this morning my picasa web albums were moved from picasa to google+ images.

The change was bad. I could not share the image links anymore and overall user experience was not so good as before. I think I'll call Google+ as Australia from now on as it seems that Google moves it's evil employees there to have their own mayhem service.. Maybe after few hundreds of years it will become a nice place to be..

After looking for picasa forums there were suggestions that deleting Google+ profile will give the old picasa experience back.

To be honest I was scared to do this move as I was afraid it would break something.

I did it anyway as the G+ was just too annoying. Nothing seemed break and now I'm happy to say that I have escaped the Google+ prison! smile.png

http://picasatutoria...asa-web-albums/

Yeah, that happened to me too...yesterday, bloody annoying shock1.gif ~~!!!! Last time a buggered around the settings in there, it deleted posted pictures on this forum... when I set them to private. I try to use "only those who have link" in Picasa...

The other thing not to do is move images within Picasa, once you post them or they go too! w00t.gif

I did it anyway as the G+ was just too annoying. Nothing seemed break and now I'm happy to say that I have escaped the Google+ prison! smile.png

http://picasatutoria...asa-web-albums/

Yeah, that happened to me too...yesterday, bloody annoying shock1.gif ~~!!!! Last time a buggered around the settings in there, it deleted posted pictures on this forum... when I set them to private. I try to use "only those who have link" in Picasa...

The other thing not to do is move images within Picasa, once you post them or they go too! w00t.gif

Picasa and Google plus are getting more annoying! Now when I try to go to my uploaded albums I get redirected to Google + then have to hit a link at the top of the page to get to My Albums... crazy.gif (same same Oilinki !)

After fiddling with settings several weeks ago, I have been very careful, not to bugger around with things (as posted above) But last night noticed other images had disappeared from my posts...w00t.gif and I've not done naught! (I don't think wink.png )

I've been using Picasa, for probably 10 years now... (when it first came out anyway) .... a good program that does many things other programs don't do even when paid for! .... Been great as a back up, cos without it I would have lost many more images than I already have!

I suppose Flicker is an alternative, but I do not like Yahoo! sad.pngw00t.gif

Perhaps for posting here on TV I will have to go back to the other method.... which means saving separately the smaller files on my already full computer, or at least one of them! w00t.gif

Any others have anymore thoughts!??? wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Well at $795.00 per year a little expensive :w00t:;)

I read it as FREE for 2Gb (increases available for up to 18Gb) and $9.99 per month ($119.88 P.A.) for plans starting at 100Gb.

It's good to acknowledge that they observe the violation of clients intellectual property rights with an active and inclusive DMCA policy. Image infringement is prolific and this element is very welcome.

I'll research a little more and I may well subscribe.

Thanks Naam for the link.

There is always a cost, in terms of lack of privacy or control or features, with a "free" service.

If you are prepared to spend money on a camera, why would you the begrudge a little bit more to gain access to a decent on-line hosting service?

Personally I use Flickr. For $25 a year (about 15 baht a week). For that I get unlimited storage of both photos and videos and access to a vibrant photo community.

Pbase.com

Me, win13 (Kan Win) on there since 2003

You have 97 galleries and 2290 images online.
These pages have been viewed a
total of 1,137,067 times. Your photos are using 729 Megabytes of storage space.You have 20 months of service left on your account.

Just a for few Baht per year. whistling.gif

Please check it out. coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

One of the big problems here with any posts made with Picasa, if any of us using it to post here... and we delete the account .... all images posted will go south! That would make a big mess of blank posts w00t.gif

I guess the same with any other site for that matter! wink.png

So, yes I agree it's a price we pay! .... It's the changes they seem to have made lately that have made it a hassle to use...with Picasa and Google plus!

I have seen Photo storage sites come and go over the years... if they are not popular they die ! sad.png ... Usually they have given warnings first!

• 4 months later...

I'll throw Flickr back into the mix, because they have changed the site and you now get up to 1 terabyte of storage with a free account. The new look is an acquired taste, but it's still a great place to put your photos, and easy to share them on other sites, like here. Click to share, copy the code, then paste on here:

9156353525_a3c23fa67d_c.jpg
P6280054 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

• Like 1

Twice I've tried Picassa and left both times for the same reason. i set the original program to collect photos from just one folder. Fine. Then an update comes and it reverts back to default. Suddenly I've got 2 million images on the account and it's a real rat's nest.
i use flickr now. Happy.

Regards.

Twice I've tried Picassa and left both times for the same reason. i set the original program to collect photos from just one folder. Fine. Then an update comes and it reverts back to default. Suddenly I've got 2 million images on the account and it's a real rat's nest.

i use flickr now. Happy.

Regards.

Hmmm..... not had that problem with Picasa.... I just wish I had had more images uploaded over the years, after hard drive burn outs!

I too have a Flickr account, but it just one of those things I never think to open Yahoo mail.... and go that route...

I do hate the Google plus being tied into Picasa bah.gif