"streetcar" - Soon On Samui?

Very good idea , but wouldn't happen , as the roads are not wide enough , and I much engineering would be involved on the mountain roads .. Not to mention complete upgrades of the roads

Would it not be far simpler and cost effective just to start a bus service ? Which is 24 hours a day and covers the whole inland ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

As silly an idea as the bridge to the mainland... rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

Just as silly is suggesting a 24 hour bus service around the island .... what happens to people who live off the ring road ? .... Many do... several kilometers too.... will there be transfer buses to take them up every Soi and Moo .... ? I don't think soooooooo blink.png

I don't think doing either would solve a thing... whistling.gif

Here we go... how about 20 or 30 of these running around the island . ..perhaps more ?....... I'm sure we'd need have them running past every 10 minutes ... so as not to hold everyone up waiting toooo long!!! blink.pngcheesy.gif

Opps no maybe not.... they'll destroy the hydro lines, not to mention have a brush with a few coconut trees... bonk! sad.png

Then parking lots at the end of every Soi... as Thaicbr says, covered areaas.... and have toilets w00t.gifbiggrin.pngblink.png

(This was used in a Harry Potter movie, back in 2004 ...wink.png )

preview_triple_decker_bus.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Just as silly is suggesting a 24 hour bus service around the island .... what happens to people who live off the ring road ? .... Many do... several kilometers too.... will there be transfer buses to take them up every Soi and Moo .... ? I don't think soooooooo blink.png

Do London night busses go up every street .. No , but they do offer a limited service , which would be good for samui as not everyone goes to bed at 9pm

Do London night busses go up every street .. No , but they do offer a limited service , which would be good for samui as not everyone goes to bed at 9pm

No!!!! well not he population here either.... there's a perfectly adequate taxi service available for those who want to be up until the sun rises... and too drunk to drive home or hotel ...

and who would pay for this anyway... ? blink.png You see enough empty song-taus (sp) running around half full or empty much of the day ...

Do we want dozens of empty buses bellowing out fumes as well.... I think not! bah.gif

oh no it's 9.45 I had better get to bed! tongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Well my bus idea didn't go down to well , so how about a subsidised taxi firm ? 30 thb flat fee for first 1km the 12 thb there after .. Similar to bkk ? Would keep all the drunk tourists off the road and reduce accidents .. Plus people might stop drink driving if there was a reasonable taxi firm

• Like 2

Well my bus idea didn't go down to well , so how about a subsidised taxi firm ? 30 thb flat fee for first 1km the 12 thb there after .. Similar to bkk ? Would keep all the drunk tourists off the road and reduce accidents .. Plus people might stop drink driving if there was a reasonable taxi firm

Why not? The government subsidizes everything else, I am sure they would be happy to oblige.

I for one thought your bus idea was a good one. Way better than anyone having to use the rip-off taxi's....but we all know it'll never happen as i'm sure the ermmm...local friendly taxi drivers will soon put a stop to it as soon as it started.

I'm sure something similar happened in Phuket a while back and the poor bus driver got beaten up on the first day.......

Anyway, stop coming up with logical/sensible posts, it's just so un -TV you know!! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Well, here's the deal with the taxi drivers, as explained to me by a neighbour who used to own a taxi..... Many are independent... some are owned by companies...

The Taxi's are leased directly from Toyota 15,000 baht a month for four years...(500 baht a day) plus gas maintenance etc, average lease and running cost per month 23,000 baht in total...

So before the drivers have any money for food, rent, sending the kids to school etc, they have to cover that overhead first.... that's a huge burden every day ....

After the four years, at least then they don't have the 15,000 baht every month to cover...

So perhaps the bars should add a surcharge to cover the subsidy you propose ??? blink.png

Last time I was back in UK, ten or so years ago, it cost me 50 quid, for a taxi ride that was less than 20 miles, I would hate to think what it might be now... w00t.gif

Why should the Thai's subsidize peoples holiday or life style for those who live here ? bah.gif

Probably not going to be a popular post for some, but let's get real ! whistling.gif

Well, here's the deal with the taxi drivers, as explained to me by a neighbour who used to own a taxi..... Many are independent... some are owned by companies...

The Taxi's are leased directly from Toyota 15,000 baht a month for four years...(500 baht a day) plus gas maintenance etc, average lease and running cost per month 23,000 baht in total...

So before the drivers have any money for food, rent, sending the kids to school etc, they have to cover that overhead first.... that's a huge burden every day ....

After the four years, at least then they don't have the 15,000 baht every month to cover...

So perhaps the bars should add a surcharge to cover the subsidy you propose ??? blink.png

Last time I was back in UK, ten or so years ago, it cost me 50 quid, for a taxi ride that was less than 20 miles, I would hate to think what it might be now... w00t.gif

Why should the Thai's subsidize peoples holiday or life style for those who live here ? bah.gif

Probably not going to be a popular post for some, but let's get real ! whistling.gif

So at the end of the day who is the fool? If you know well before hand the limitations, why go there.Jim Bangkok fares are great, they still make a living.
  • Like 1

So at the end of the day who is the fool? If you know well before hand the limitations, why go there.Jim Bangkok fares are great, they still make a living.

With the Huge infux of immigrants to the uk taxi are cheap here , most do a deal £3 anywhere upto 5 km around the town , got a taxi the other day , was a 25 mile one way journey and only 18 pound .. Taxi firms here no the cheaper you do the more customers you have , plus they are competitive to each which in turn benefits the clients

I knew I would get attacked on this... w00t.gifbiggrin.pngtongue.png

Actually Rooo, not all BKK taxi rides are cheap, if you want to go to a place where they may not get a fare back, they won't turn on the meter.... You have to negotiate a price first... (even having a Thai try to do that does not always work many taxi's just drive off...) You try going to the out skirts and see if you get a metered ride... whistling.gif...

As for number of taxis here, It the same as having too many bars and restaurants for many to make a decent living ... seems like a good idea and everyone gets on the "bandwagon" ... & who would regulate it here? It's not a Nanny state, like the UK and other western countries! .... and let's be realistic, not everyone who gets into any business in any country is necessarily going to make a "go of it" !

That's why my "neighbour" turned over his lease to someone else, he makes more money growing Durien and his wife runs a small shop... so they don't have the daily outlay, and have to say "sorry dahling no money today! "sad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Samui taxis can demonstrate and make blockade at Nathon pier, because of resort minivans pick-up their guests from the ferries and talking the overcharged business away from the taxis!

Can anyone imagine what the taxis may do, when streetcar lines becomes available round the island and into every remote corner? sad.png

A regular service with electric vans – like the ones at the Airport promenade, charged from solar cell energy – may be a much cheaper and an environment friendly solution. thumbsup.gif

And thought about a subway?

No, that will only work on Samui Ring Road, if it’s a submarine subway – however the sours at the Bophut part may be wide enough for that and they already have an entrance for every 50 meters, as nobody ever use the inner lane with the grille-holes anymore.biggrin.png

Edited by khunPer

What!? Get real (whoever's idea this was!!)

The Samui/Surat administration haven't even got a BUS service!

They're either raking too much tea/condominium money in off the taxi drivers to bother or they simply don't reckon there's any need for it.

(Actually - now I think of it there is a bus service. ONE mini-coach that goes around and around the island, stopping for half an hour here and there, because I've heard that the driver is paid double is actual wages by the taxi mafia to do this. I reckon in 15 years I've spotted this public bus maybe half a dozen times, to my recall.)

Yet another wonderfully staggeringly totally unrealistic and utterly ga-ga GOOD IDEA, put together by the Thai Ministry of Wonderfully Staggeringly Totally Unrealistic and Utterly Ga-ga Good Ideas, where ministers have university degrees in Really Clever, and are paid huge sums of money to be come up with Really Good Ideas, like this one.

I wonder why it is that there never seems to be a press release with a name and a photo of the minister/person who proposes ideas like this one?

Blather blather rant chunter chunter . . .

R

• Like 2