Underage Sex Workers Found At Jomtien Beer Bar

Rimmer

Yes that's pretty much how I understood it - so it not a case of "Underage sex workers" but of "illegal sex workers" plus "minors working in a bar".

After a read through a few legal forums of Thai Law, it appears that the legal age for Thai's, to consume alcohol, is 20 years of age.

As this snippet states;

Legal Drinking Age and Alcohol-Free Zones

Thailand introduced the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act in 2008 , which amended some of Thailand’s previous alcohol laws and increased the drinking age from eighteen to twenty. The Act has specific language making it illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under twenty years old. The Act also set forth laws and penalties for designated areas where alcohol cannot legally be consumed. For example, drinking alcohol is illegal in the following locations: temples or places of worship; infirmaries and pharmacies; public offices; education institutions; petrol stations or petrol station shops; and public parks. There are exceptions to many of these locations. For example, if you are attending an authorized banquet at an education institution or public office, or if you are within a temple at which consuming alcohol is part of the worship, then you may legally drink an alcoholic beverage. The penalty for drinking alcohol and one of the aforementioned locations without proper authorization is up to 6 months imprisonment and/or no more than a fine of ten thousand baht.

Selling alcohol to anyone who has previously lost consciousness from drinking is also against the law in Thailand. Additionally, if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht.

I was in Barcelona last year. You must be 18 to smoke cigarettes, 15 to buy alcohol. Go figure....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

wrong. offering sex for money is legal from the age of 18.

Here is in general terms a simple overview of the situation:

1- prostitution is legal for persons older than 18, if done outside prostitution establishments

2- solicitation is mostly illegal, though it is ok if done discreetly and outside prostitution establishments

3- profiting from prostitution of third parties is illegal in all cases (procuring, promoting, trafficking, facilitating, etc.)

that would indicate that bar fines would fit into category 3 of your post

@manarak

Thanks for that break down and interpretation of prostitution laws in Thailand.

I found some articles relating to "Sex Laws in Thailand Part 2: Laws Regulating Commercial Sex and Entertainment Places", through Google, this could be what Monty is on about. Quite an interesting read.

This link http://en.wikipedia....ion_in_Thailand, also from Wikipedia, states that the act of prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Wikipedia is not a good source, since a person changed my text several times back without giving any legal sources and I'm too tired to correct it again.

The first of your links also does not cite any source for the statement that prostitution is illegal.

There simply is no law banning it.

The Law is here:

http://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/WEBTEXT/46403/65063/E96THA01.htm

it defines the term "prostitution" quite precisely and does not ban it.

Edited by manarak

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

1- prostitution is legal for persons older than 18, if done outside prostitution establishments

2- solicitation is mostly illegal, though it is ok if done discreetly and outside prostitution establishments

3- profiting from prostitution of third parties is illegal in all cases (procuring, promoting, trafficking, facilitating, etc.)

Barfines are a grey zone.

The bar does not control what happens after the barfine is paid nor does the bar force the girl to do anything she doesn't want.

The official explanation that the barfine compensates the bar for a staff member deciding to leave the workplace is good enough and is neither directly nor necessarily tied to a sex act.

On the other hand, bars with rooms are cleary illegal.

Edited by manarak

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

You would be surprised if you knew how many 16 year olds work in popular bars and from which you think they are of the legal age.

Not saying you are wrong ... but how do you know this? Do you actually have accurate statistics that prove this?

To all the "experts" on age of consent on TV. Google "age of consent" and you'll find many sources of info on the subject. Of course one must be cautious of internet-derived information, but a reasonable person can by careful perusal find sites where the information is believably accurate.

To all the "experts" on age of consent on TV. Google "age of consent" and you'll find many sources of info on the subject. Of course one must be cautious of internet-derived information, but a reasonable person can by careful perusal find sites where the information is believably accurate.

The relevant Thai Laws are available in English.

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

I slept with lots of 16 year olds

Of course i was 15!!!!

you wicked boy! when i was 15 i slept with a 39 year old. that is... actually we did not sleep. that i had my eyes closed does not count... i guess tongue.png

I slept with lots of 16 year olds

Of course i was 15!!!!

you wicked boy! when i was 15 i slept with a 39 year old. that is... actually we did not sleep. that i had my eyes closed does not count... i guess tongue.png

I was thinking the same except she was 40 and I was 15 on holiday in Sitges with my parents. My eyes were opened VERY wide!

ED: Very glad she wasn't done for paedophilia!

Edited by CHANGOVER

There is some confusion going on, yes. The legal age of consent is 15, info here, on Wikipedia and also mentioned in the other links. Age to legally get married 17 or above, info here. Prostitution laws here.

@SteeleJoe, Bit of an oversimplification. If you're referring to my comment, "Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand". In the eyes of the law, here in LOS, it is in fact illegal. smile.png

The penal code seems to imply that you can be married under 15 years of age.

Section 277 of The Thai Penal Code:

"WHOEVER has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to twenty years and fined between Bt8,000 to Bt40,000."

@wolf5370. The age old profession, as we all know, happens everywhere in the world. The facts are very shocking in this day and age, that so many are actually so young.

In reference to your quote, "I am sure there is another code somewhere with regards to brothels and there it states similar for under 15, 15-18 and over 18 - from the point of view of the "customer"'s liability (the establishment owner/mammasan) is already covered in the above." I feel that it will be extremely hard to actually find the correct wording on it.

Many years ago when I first ever dated a BG she mentioned that there where "coffee houses", these were places where local's would go and be 'serviced' by a 14 year old girl, this was not sexually apparently and she was talking from first hand experience. So there could be such a ruling as you mention.

Not really

Section 8 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever, for sexual gratification of that person or of the third person, commits sexual intercourse

or any other act against a person who is over fifteen (15) years but not yet over eighteen (18) years

of age, with or without his or her consent, in a place for prostitution, shall be punished with

imprisonment of one to three years and a fine of twenty thousand to sixty thousand baht.

Sections 9 to 12 deal with it also.

Yes that's pretty much how I understood it - so it not a case of "Underage sex workers" but of "illegal sex workers" plus "minors working in a bar".

After a read through a few legal forums of Thai Law, it appears that the legal age for Thai's, to consume alcohol, is 20 years of age.

As this snippet states;

Legal Drinking Age and Alcohol-Free Zones

Thailand introduced the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act in 2008 , which amended some of Thailand’s previous alcohol laws and increased the drinking age from eighteen to twenty. The Act has specific language making it illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under twenty years old. The Act also set forth laws and penalties for designated areas where alcohol cannot legally be consumed. For example, drinking alcohol is illegal in the following locations: temples or places of worship; infirmaries and pharmacies; public offices; education institutions; petrol stations or petrol station shops; and public parks. There are exceptions to many of these locations. For example, if you are attending an authorized banquet at an education institution or public office, or if you are within a temple at which consuming alcohol is part of the worship, then you may legally drink an alcoholic beverage. The penalty for drinking alcohol and one of the aforementioned locations without proper authorization is up to 6 months imprisonment and/or no more than a fine of ten thousand baht.

Selling alcohol to anyone who has previously lost consciousness from drinking is also against the law in Thailand. Additionally, if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht.

Like the last sentance "if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht" - if you survive the gun shots I guess biggrin.png

offtopic.gif

For all the fun and joking the reality is these are children. I am a parent with two under ten girls and if I can't provide my kids or heaven forbid cark it, my kids could well end up in the same predicament. No parent or child should ever be subjected to this so for the sicko's within TV here take your hands off your pathetic appendages you sick bloggers. Children are off limits.

• Like 1

What on earth have barfines got to do with sex??

You would be surprised if you knew how many 16 year olds work in popular bars and from which you think they are of the legal age.

WOW so many uninformed people - 16 is the age of consent in many countries and even lower ages in other countries. Some Muslim countries allow marriage at age 9...

If memory serves, 13 and 14 year old girls were discovered in a strip club in San Jose, California. Sixteen is the age of consent in England and in Nevada (USA) and teenage shor-time bars were common in Thailand in the 60's...

WOW so many uninformed people - 16 is the age of consent in many countries and even lower ages in other countries. Some Muslim countries allow marriage at age 9...

If memory serves, 13 and 14 year old girls were discovered in a strip club in San Jose, California. Sixteen is the age of consent in England and in Nevada (USA) and teenage shor-time bars were common in Thailand in the 60's...

The legal age for prostitution is 18 in all civilised countries.

TWO 16 yr old girls were detained?---------- I see three!!!

If you look a little closer at the picture you will see that the woman with the MU7 hat on looks older than the other two, this one is probably the 'manager' who was arrested along with the two teenagers.

The legal age for prostitution is 18 in all civilised countries.

In Switzerland the legal age for prostitution is 16 (but they are in the process of revising the Law on that point).

I like to point out that most statements containing the words everybody, nobody, all, none, always and never turn out to be wrong in most cases, except when the statements is a verifiable fact or a logical/mathematical truth.

How so uninformed? You have said nothing that has not already been said several times in this thread (initially actually by me - with regard to world limits and the youngest being just 9). I still do not take back that I think anyone that wants to go with a 16 year old here (where IMO they look pre-teen at that age) are seriously warped. The age of consent is little really to do with prostitution other than below it, it is usually deemed rape. As said, many times here, often prostitution age limits differ from consent simply because a 16 year old girls sleeping with her 16 year old boyfriends is not morally the same as some middle aged guy paying some other middle aged person so he can have sex with someone that is in many ways still a child and under the control of that second individual. It is akin to trafficking (and indeed law quoted here already shows both covered in the same clauses).

It's funny how times change.

Today we have huge outpourings of self-righteousness and loathing relating to anyone suspected of having a sex partner under the age of 21, yet just a couple of decades ago the only emotion that would have been aroused by stories of sex with 16-year-olds would have been envy.

Really? I haven't seen this. Under 18, and rightly so, but you're moving the goalposts (or trying to stir things up) a bit here!

Today I have just read an article about two students in Nan, one aged 22yrs old and the other 16yrs young, being arrested and charged with prostitution. I obviously can not put the link here, as it is on another website similar to Bangkok Post and The Nation, therefore against the forum rules. So is it actually illegal or not?

Edited by Psych01

Today I have just read an article about two students in Nan, one aged 22yrs old and the other 16yrs young, being arrested and charged with prostitution. I obviously can not put the link here, as it is on another website similar to Bangkok Post and The Nation, therefore against the forum rules. So is it actually illegal or not?

This was covered Sunday in Thailand News Clipping HERE

• Like 1

I explained the illegality of the other situation in the other thread.

....the two girls remain in the care of district welfare officers pending contact with their parents.

Parents are gonna be mighty upset they got caught. sad.png

Too True - South of Pattaya, years ago, a 22 year old neighbor, 'lost her ID card, so that her 16 year old sister could be photographed for the new one. Yep, both were 'working girls' sending money to Mama...