Underage Sex Workers Found At Jomtien Beer Bar

Rimmer

Underage Sex Workers found at Jomtien Beer Bar

sell-3.jpg

PATTAYA:--Two 16 year old girls were detained along with the manager of a Beer Bar at a popular Jomtien Beer Bar Complex in the early hours of Friday by Police.

Officers from the Police Region 2 Child and Women Protection Unit conducted an undercover operation at the Bar located within the complex next to the Lompor Market on Jomtien Second Road opposite Soi 5.

Using a foreign operative who was armed with 6,000 Baht in marked bank notes, he was able to purchase the sexual services of a 16 year old girl.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/71746/underage-sex-workers-jomtien-beer-bar/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2013-01-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Is it illegal? I was of the understanding 15 was the legal age, and for it to be underage prostitution it had to be at a brothel (and then it is 18 minimum) - so were the girls going to ,erm, service the guy on the establishment?

Not that that I am interested in teenage prostitutes or their services you understand, just wondering which law they were ceased on.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand no matter what the age. The legal age of consent between to individuals is 15, to work in a bar serving beer etc, I believe is either 18 or 20. Thai's are not legally allowed to drink until they are 20 or 21.

Yes that's pretty much how I understood it - so it not a case of "Underage sex workers" but of "illegal sex workers" plus "minors working in a bar".

Yes that's pretty much how I understood it - so it not a case of "Underage sex workers" but of "illegal sex workers" plus "minors working in a bar".

After a read through a few legal forums of Thai Law, it appears that the legal age for Thai's, to consume alcohol, is 20 years of age.

As this snippet states;

Legal Drinking Age and Alcohol-Free Zones

Thailand introduced the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act in 2008 , which amended some of Thailand’s previous alcohol laws and increased the drinking age from eighteen to twenty. The Act has specific language making it illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under twenty years old. The Act also set forth laws and penalties for designated areas where alcohol cannot legally be consumed. For example, drinking alcohol is illegal in the following locations: temples or places of worship; infirmaries and pharmacies; public offices; education institutions; petrol stations or petrol station shops; and public parks. There are exceptions to many of these locations. For example, if you are attending an authorized banquet at an education institution or public office, or if you are within a temple at which consuming alcohol is part of the worship, then you may legally drink an alcoholic beverage. The penalty for drinking alcohol and one of the aforementioned locations without proper authorization is up to 6 months imprisonment and/or no more than a fine of ten thousand baht.

Selling alcohol to anyone who has previously lost consciousness from drinking is also against the law in Thailand. Additionally, if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht.

After a read through a few legal forums of Thai Law, it appears that the legal age for Thai's, to consume alcohol, is 20 years of age.

As this snippet states;

Legal Drinking Age and Alcohol-Free Zones

Thailand introduced the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act in 2008 , which amended some of Thailand’s previous alcohol laws and increased the drinking age from eighteen to twenty. The Act has specific language making it illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under twenty years old. The Act also set forth laws and penalties for designated areas where alcohol cannot legally be consumed. For example, drinking alcohol is illegal in the following locations: temples or places of worship; infirmaries and pharmacies; public offices; education institutions; petrol stations or petrol station shops; and public parks. There are exceptions to many of these locations. For example, if you are attending an authorized banquet at an education institution or public office, or if you are within a temple at which consuming alcohol is part of the worship, then you may legally drink an alcoholic beverage. The penalty for drinking alcohol and one of the aforementioned locations without proper authorization is up to 6 months imprisonment and/or no more than a fine of ten thousand baht.

Selling alcohol to anyone who has previously lost consciousness from drinking is also against the law in Thailand. Additionally, if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht.

Like the last sentance "if you are considered intoxicated and provoke an altercation with a law enforcement official, the penalty can be up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine up to twenty thousand baht" - if you survive the gun shots I guess :D

• Like 1

As I understand the laws regarding the age of consent in Thailand, the legal age is 18, but it is allowed from the age of 15 to 18 with parental consent, the issue of the age of consent was covered in another thread a few months ago, and since the authorities are waiting to hear from the girl's parents, parental consent may not have been given. whistling.gif

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

You would be surprised if you knew how many 16 year olds work in popular bars and from which you think they are of the legal age.

• Like 1

As I understand the laws regarding the age of consent in Thailand, the legal age is 18, but it is allowed from the age of 15 to 18 with parental consent, the issue of the age of consent was covered in another thread a few months ago, and since the authorities are waiting to hear from the girl's parents, parental consent may not have been given. whistling.gif

There has been many such threads here over the years (age of consent ones), I think if I remember correctly there are two contradicting laws - one that gives the consent at 15, the other that requeires parental consent before 18 (and even a third someone once dug out that parents can say no - i.e. they still have legal say over the kid - up to 20 which could be applicable). Someone once brought out a post of CIA data (the usual demographic/country stats things they publish) that listed age of concent around the world (ranging from 9 to 28 I think) and it clearly showed Thailand with 15.

All a dangerous grey area if in the market for jailbait.

As said above, prostitution is illeagl at all ages officially (yeah right!) but as far as I am aware, there is an edict somewhere that states that minors under 18 working in a brothel is considered statutory rape (or something similar - certainly more frowned on).

Just thinking about it...one would have to be seriously warped to want to sleep with a 16 year old girl here anyway. In the west, 16 can lookl 20 something (often too easily) - here at 16 they look 9!

You would be surprised if you knew how many 16 year olds work in popular bars and from which you think they are of the legal age.

Yeah, they should tattoo their ages on their foreheads (might get a bit crowded by 30 though blink.png )

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand..

Bit of an oversimplification.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

There is some confusion going on, yes. The legal age of consent is 15, info here, on Wikipedia and also mentioned in the other links. Age to legally get married 17 or above, info here. Prostitution laws here.

@SteeleJoe, Bit of an oversimplification. If you're referring to my comment, "Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand". In the eyes of the law, here in LOS, it is in fact illegal. smile.png

Edited by Psych01

so young such sad start to life

If they were not doing here they would be doing it some where else and not seeing as sad but an easy way to make some good money rather than finding some other kind of work, as would mom and pop. I doubt this was their first venture into prostitution, nor will it be their last.

There is some confusion going on, yes. The legal age of consent is 15, info here, on Wikipedia and also mentioned in the other links. Age to legally get married 17 or above, info here. Prostitution laws here.

@SteeleJoe, Bit of an oversimplification. If you're referring to my comment, "Yes, it (prostitution), is illegal in Thailand". In the eyes of the law, here in LOS, it is in fact illegal. smile.png

The "Penal Code Amendment Act (No. 14), B.E. 2540 (1997)" in your links is interesting. It is mainly with regard to trfficking and supplying people for prostitution, but there is a single line about "he who profits..." could be stretched to say the gratified is benefitted perhaps - a stretch though. It is interesting in that it only lays down penalties for <15 and 15-18. Nothing about trafficked women over 18.

I am sure there is another code somewhere with regards to brothels and there it states similar for under 15, 15-18 and over 18 - from the point of view of the "customer"'s liability (the establishment owner/mammasan) is already covered in the above.

so young such sad start to life

If they were not doing here they would be doing it some where else and not seeing as sad but an easy way to make some good money rather than finding some other kind of work, as would mom and pop. I doubt this was their first venture into prostitution, nor will it be their last.

Saw a report a while ago that puts the average age of entry into prostitution (female) at 12 1/2 (twelve and a half) - it also put both the UK and USA at just 13 (which I was personally shocked by - but I guess its just not so blatant). I thought this had changed, I know it was well known once apon a time that child prostitution was available in Thailand - but I thought it was all but irradicated these days (at least enough to bring up that entry age average!). Not sure the age or size of the data they used for the report of course (lies, damned lies and statistic and all that).

@wolf5370. The age old profession, as we all know, happens everywhere in the world. The facts are very shocking in this day and age, that so many are actually so young.

In reference to your quote, "I am sure there is another code somewhere with regards to brothels and there it states similar for under 15, 15-18 and over 18 - from the point of view of the "customer"'s liability (the establishment owner/mammasan) is already covered in the above." I feel that it will be extremely hard to actually find the correct wording on it.

Many years ago when I first ever dated a BG she mentioned that there where "coffee houses", these were places where local's would go and be 'serviced' by a 14 year old girl, this was not sexually apparently and she was talking from first hand experience. So there could be such a ruling as you mention.

I say again, that's an oversimplification (IMO). Look at the law.

I keep reading the section that states it all, section Section 282, does it not say that, "Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, procures, seduces or takes away for indecent act the man or woman with his or her consent, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years and fined of two thousand to twenty thousand Baht." Therefore, in my eyes, you go to gaol, which to me means illegal.

It then goes on to point out, "If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years and fined of six thousand to thirty thousand Baht." Again, in my eyes, you go to gaol, which to me means illegal.

It continues on....

I am not going to go through it all, I posted the links to the relevant parts, after reading it. If you are a lawyer, then please explain what it actually means, in laymen terms.

Seems to some that selling your body at a bar at 16 is fine.

To whom? We are discussing the law, not the morality. I think we have pretty much all shown our distaste in one way or another, so of whom are you infering.

I keep reading the section that states it all, section Section 282, does it not say that, "Whoever, in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person, procures, seduces or takes away for indecent act the man or woman with his or her consent, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years and fined of two thousand to twenty thousand Baht." Therefore, in my eyes, you go to gaol, which to me means illegal.

It then goes on to point out, "If the commission of the offence according to the first paragraph is occurred to the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years and fined of six thousand to thirty thousand Baht." Again, in my eyes, you go to gaol, which to me means illegal.

It continues on....

I am not going to go through it all, I posted the links to the relevant parts, after reading it. If you are a lawyer, then please explain what it actually means, in laymen terms.

it actually says, from your link, “Section 282 Whoever, for sexual gratification of another person, procures, lures, or traffics a man or woman for an indecent sexual purpose, even with his or her consent, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years, and a fine of two thousand to twenty thousand Baht...." - the highlighted section is the key I think - it seems to imply this is one entity procurring a person to sexually gratify a second entity - i.e. pimp.

This is different from procuring for one's own sexual gratification - probably as it would be difficult in law to restrict this without tons of minutiae - e.g. "what constitutes payment?" cash? how about a meal and a night out? How about a diamond ring? If cash, how about if I gave you money to help with a need and you were so happy one thing lead to another? -- you can see the difficulty (this is why many countries make the kerb crawling and soliciting for sex the crime - easier if the guy says "how about a @#$^ for fifty quid?" - or the women walks up and says "Fancy a good time love? BJ only twenty bucks" etc.

In the UK for example prostitution is legal (i.e. not strictly illegal in law) - but soliciting, brothels (keeping a house of ill repute)), kerb crawling, indecent proposals and so on, are (or can be made to fit a crime - such a loitering, demanding money with menace, even tax fraud and benefit fraud, etc) - this pretty much means that prostutution is illegal by association (because they can still get you one way or another).

• Like 1