Scottish Tourist Drowns At Phuket Beach

webfact

Scottish tourist drowns at Phuket beach

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A Scottish tourist on holiday in Phuket drowned early yesterday morning at the secluded beach at Ao Sane, on Phuket’s southwest coast.

Police named the victim as Neil Gray, 36.

Mr Gray was swimming at the scenic beach at about 8 am when his friends noticed him signalling that he was in distress, Capt Chienchai Duangsuwan of the Chalong Police told the Phuket Gazette.

“His friends and other tourists at the beach rushed to pull him out of the water,” he said.

Mr Gray was raced to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town. However, he was pronounced dead on arrival.

“Mr Gray was apparently on holiday in Phuket to visit his brother, who lives here,” Capt Chienchai explained.

“He had no pre-existing medical condition that we know of. The group woke early to go swimming and snorkeling at the beach.

“However, we were told that he and his friends were up late drinking the previous night, so that may have contributed to his death,” Capt Chienchai said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...each-20063.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-28

• Like 1

I believe that's the 4th drowning this month on Phuket's west coast. That is an unbelievably high number for this time of year when there is little surf and therefore not much rip current. I know there no lifeguards on this beach, I swim there often. But still the number of people that die here every year from trying to swim is unbelievable! The local government stopped posting the death statistics last April. It must be really bad. It was bad before they stopped publishing!