Dutch Queen Beatrix To Abdicate Throne After 33 Years

News_Editor

Dutch Queen Beatrix to abdicate throne after 33 years < br />

2013-01-29 04:56:22 GMT+7 (ICT)

THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) -- Dutch Queen Beatrix announced Monday that she will abdicate on Queen's Day in April after more than three decades as head of state, allowing her eldest son Willem-Alexander to become the kingdom's first king in more than a century.

The announcement, recorded on Monday afternoon and later broadcast on both radio and television, followed years of speculation that Beatrix planned to abdicate the throne and allow her eldest son to take over. She confirmed in Monday's speech that she had been considering to abdicate for a number of years.

"I have always considered it as an exceptional privilege to use a large part of my life to serve our country," she said. "To this day, this beautiful task has given me great satisfaction. It is inspiring to feel involved with people, to show compassion and to share in times of joy and national pride."

Beatrix, noting that this year marks the 200th anniversary of the collapse of the French Empire which rang in a new era for the Kingdom of the Netherlands, said she chose to abdicate this year to allow a new generation to take over. "(I am abdicating) from the conviction that the responsibility for our country must now be in the hands of a new generation," she said.

The abdication is scheduled to take place at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam on April 30, which traditionally marks the annual Queen's Day celebration. It will be followed by the inauguration of Willem-Alexander at the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) near the royal palace in Amsterdam a short time later.

Willem-Alexander, 45, will be the kingdom's first king since William III, who ruled the Netherlands from 1849 until 1890. His wife Maxima will become queen consort, unlike the husbands of Beatrix and Queen Juliana who never became king but instead held the title of prince-consort.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte praised Beatrix, who turns 75 this week, for her work as queen. "Queen Beatrix was always there," he said. "She was there on festive occasions, during the celebration of successes in sports and cultural highlights. But she was also and especially there during difficult moments."

The Netherlands suffered a number of disasters since Beatrix assumed the throne in April 1980. A total of 43 people were killed in October 1992 when a large cargo plane crashed into an apartment building in Amsterdam and 23 people were killed and nearly 950 others were injured in May 2000 when a massive fireworks explosion devastated a neighborhood in the city of Enschede.

But tragedy struck close in Apeldoorn on Queen's Day 2009 when a man drove his car into a parade which included Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem-Alexander and other members of the royal family. The attacker killed seven people and injured several others but missed a bus carrying the royal family.

"Her moving words immediately after the horrific attack in Apeldoorn will be forever etched in our collective memory," Rutte said.

But the last year of her reign will be remembered as being marked by personal tragedy. Prince Johan Friso, the second son of Beatrix, has remained in a coma after being critically injured in an avalanche in western Austria in February 2012. Doctors said oxygen deprivation caused extensive damage to his brain, leaving him in a coma which he may never come out.

Beatrix, who will take the title of princess, said Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima are "fully prepared" for their future task. "They will serve our country with dedication, faithfully maintain the constitution and with all their talents give their own substance to the kingship."

The Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of the Netherlands in Western Europe and the countries Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten in the Caribbean.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-01-29

Wonder if QE2 will follow her example

She should have done so long ago, now Charles is not gonna have a shot at being King.

Well done to Queen Beatrix, a decision made using her head and her heart. Loved by all her people, hope that they warm to their new King.

Also Queen Beatrix might want to spend more time with her other son, the one who had the accident as he is still in a coma. Being in the spotlight she cannot, so coming out of the spotlight might give her the time with him.

The Dutch and English monarchies have very different backgrounds. Where the English one comes straight from medieval times the Dutch one is a much more modern version. The English king or Queen is crowned, the Dutch head of state does not wear a crown but is merely appointed. QEII can forget abdication as it is simply not done in their medieval fairytale. Possibly not even allowed. Lizzy's only way out is death it seems. Hence the saying "the king is dead, long live the king".

I am not a fan of kingdoms but Beatrix has done extremely well as an ambassador of the Netherlands. Royal heads of state always have advantages over presidents so even I am not sure if turning back the clock 200 years when The Netherlands stopped being the world's first modern republic is such a good idea.

She should have done so long ago, now Charles is not gonna have a shot at being King.

Well done to Queen Beatrix, a decision made using her head and her heart. Loved by all her people, hope that they warm to their new King.

Yes, this really does make QE2 seem a rather obstinate old woman. She had the perfect opportunity to step down last year after her jubilee, but no, on she goes. What's the point? Breaking Queen Victoria's record of 63 years? If so, that's really ignoble.

The Dutch and English monarchies have very different backgrounds. Where the English one comes straight from medieval times the Dutch one is a much more modern version. The English king or Queen is crowned, the Dutch head of state does not wear a crown but is merely appointed. QEII can forget abdication as it is simply not done in their medieval fairytale. Possibly not even allowed. Lizzy's only way out is death it seems. Hence the saying "the king is dead, long live the king".

I am not a fan of kingdoms but Beatrix has done extremely well as an ambassador of the Netherlands. Royal heads of state always have advantages over presidents so even I am not sure if turning back the clock 200 years when The Netherlands stopped being the world's first modern republic is such a good idea.

Have you forgotten that Edward VIII abdicated? (remember Edward and Mrs. Simpson)

Edited by beano2274

I still vividly remember when Beatrix' mom Queen Juliana quit in favor of her daughter. Man, am I getting old or what?!

By comparison, there currently is another queen reigning in Europe who stubbornly refuses to let go and retire while her eldest son and supposed successor is slowly but surely approaching geezer age.

Good move and wise decision, Bea wai.gifclap2.gif

For you, WillemAlexander, good luck and may you be as good a King as your mom was a queenthumbsup.gif

I am Dutch and proud of it. We do not have all that british karabow-poo with their royal family.... O my Buddha, they are soooo stiff, that they break when they bowcheesy.gif

IF IT AIN'T DUTCH, IT AIN'T MUCH tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

Queen Elizabeth has said she has no intention of being Elizabeth the last. She is waiting for a safe pair of hands to pass the throne on to. Sorry to go OT

many of the dutch are angry with her now because of the broadcast meant the cancellation of a popular soap series for one day no "goede tijden slechte tijden "

Another Endemol production, maybe the speech was as well.

I know ONE thing for sure: Media Mafia Endemol did DEFINITELY NOT write even one syllable in Bea's speech!!!!!

Unfortunately many (not too smart) people love this soap shit, even in The Netherlands. These (not too smart) people don't realize that the media mafia did not CANCEL the episode, they just postpone till tomorrow....

IF IT AIN'T DUTCH, IT AIN'T MUCH tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png (even "goede tijden slechte tijden" is better than much other (english) soaps!)

many of the dutch are angry with her now because of the broadcast meant the cancellation of a popular soap series for one day no "goede tijden slechte tijden "

Another Endemol production, maybe the speech was as well.

I know ONE thing for sure: Media Mafia Endemol did DEFINITELY NOT write even one syllable in Bea's speech!!!!!

Unfortunately many (not too smart) people love this soap shit, even in The Netherlands. These (not too smart) people don't realize that the media mafia did not CANCEL the episode, they just postpone till tomorrow....

IF IT AIN'T DUTCH, IT AIN'T MUCH tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png (even "goede tijden slechte tijden" is better than much other (english) soaps!)

I watched the German version Gute Zeiten Schlecte Zeiten, really got on my nerves.

Was just a bit of humour.

Wish her all the best in her new life, and also hope that her other son awakes one day. Long Live the new King, hope he carries on the good work his mother has done.

Seems like soon we will soon have two kings in Europe whose first name begins with "W" (Willem and William)

It's QEII. QE2 is a ship.

Correct the ship was the Queen Elizabeth 2.......er....... I was the electrician on the launch phone...happy days in Clydebank..did lots of ships..

Also the Queens title is technically QE 11 of England and Wales and QE1 of Scotland......

what happens after Independence is for the future....que sera sera...

"She should have done so long ago, now Charles is not gonna have a shot at being King."

That probably explains why she didn't do it long ago. That and the possibility of having to stand behind Queen Camilla on the balcony at Buckingham Palace.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The Dutch and English monarchies have very different backgrounds. Where the English one comes straight from medieval times the Dutch one is a much more modern version.

" English one comes straight from medieval times," yes with the fine old English pedigree of Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, oops, I mean The Windsors.

The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (German: Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha) is a German dynasty, the line of the Saxon House of Wettin that ruled the Ernestine duchies, including the duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Founded by Ernest Anton, the sixth duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, it is also the royal house of several European monarchies, and branches currently reign in Belgium through the descendants of Leopold I, and in the Commonwealth realms through the descendants of Prince Albert. Due to anti-German sentiment in the United Kingdom during World War I, George V of the United Kingdom changed the name of his branch from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor in 1917. The same happened in Belgium where it was changed to "van België" (Dutch) or "de Belgique" (French).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Have you forgotten that Edward VIII abdicated? (remember Edward and Mrs. Simpson)

I have to admit I know very little about royal history. Perhaps Edward VIII broke protocol or something. I once understood that while in England abdication is very not-done in The Netherlands it's normal and even expected practice when the successor is ready to take over. A very different approach to leadership there.

I fondly remember Queen Mom, who did enjoy an occasional gin. I admire the British for accepting the monarchy into their daily lifes and at the same time having no qualms about making fun of the institution; with said insitution taking it all in a stride, of course.. After all, the Royals ARE essentially Hanoverians (with a bit of Bavarian blood mixed in), so they shold be used to be the butt of occasional jokes. In the end, very few of their subjects are "real" Brits anyway, as most of them seem to be either descendants of Normans, Angles or Saxons, none of which are truly indigenous to the " Misty Island". I've always wondered how the English language came up with a word like "mutton". But then again, whenever I have the pleasure of encountering an Englishman whose last name is "Ballard", it all becomes crystal clear.

I have to admit I know very little about royal history. Perhaps Edward VIII broke protocol or something. I once understood that while in England abdication is very not-done in The Netherlands it's normal and even expected practice when the successor is ready to take over. A very different approach to leadership there.

You can google about them Mrs Simpson was believed to be a Nazi sympathiser.