I Paid My Narawat Bridge Police Tax Today.

rene123

I forgot that you can't make a turn into traffic on a red light. I didn't mind paying the 200 baht fine/tax except for the half hour wait in line while they processed the 200 other offenders while I was there. The police did quite well today. I didn't think flashing my boobs would do me any good so I didn't bother. Besides, the police all had masks on so I couldn't even pick out a cute one. The police have a pretty good system going there. The office where you pay your fine is only 100 meters up the street.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think flashing my boobs would do me any good

i think we should be the judge of that

Be careful what you ask for. They might be man boobs. wink.png

Might be?

they are. he's an old man masquerading as a woman.

Edited by Oscar2

just think you helped the police fund for they new pickup or flat screen telly

That is probably true, but I've come to understand how things are done here in Thailand and it doesn't bother me. In Canada we pay a large portion of our income in taxes of all kinds, both hidden and obvious. The efficient Canadian police system is paid for through taxes. The police get paid a good wage but that comes out of my income whether I like it or not. In Thailand, the police get paid a pittance in wages which they have to supplement through bribes and those road stops. If you learn and follow the rules, and pay the least amount of attention, you won't get stuck paying the bribes very often. When it eventually happens all you can do is laugh and pay up.

There was a whole string of farangs laughing about the situation. Everyone was guilty of something. Most were ticketed for not wearing helmets. The rental bikes all supply helmets, If people choose not to wear them then paying the occasional fine is the result.

In Canada we are over regulated, and the law makers keep adding more regulations to try and prevent stupidity. I'm sorry, but more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things. I kind of enjoy the freedom that Thailand offers. If you do something really stupid then it might cost you your life. If you learn to expect the unexpected then you can be reasonably safe in Thai traffic.

You broke the law and you got caught. From your original post, it seems the police were enforcing the law against everyone; including you. So why the complaining? It's a hoot to see someone do something stupid and then complain about "more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things." I bet that you will not make the same mistake you did which resulted in a fine. So the laws DO work.

You broke the law and you got caught. From your original post, it seems the police were enforcing the law against everyone; including you. So why the complaining? It's a hoot to see someone do something stupid and then complain about "more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things." I bet that you will not make the same mistake you did which resulted in a fine. So the laws DO work.

Who is complaining? I'm certainly not. The police were just out there collecting their tax money. I even suspected that there might be a check point there before I went shopping at the market. It was just an easier route from my place to get there. I already stated that I had forgotten you are not SUPPOSED to make a turn on a red light, but it happens EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME! It is easy enough to fall into the bad habits of the Thai riders.

If the police actually wanted to be of some service then they would ticket all the vehicles driving through red lights LONG after the light turned red. Of course, that might interfere with the natural flow of traffic that strangely enough, actually seems to work.

I bet that you will not make the same mistake you did which resulted in a fine.

Well, maybe not at those traffic lights. biggrin.png

laugh.pngcheesy.gifclap2.gif

No doubt. I expect it to happen again, but just not at THAT infamous check point. There is a REASON why the place they collect the fines is only 100 meters away,

just think you helped the police fund for they new pickup or flat screen telly

That is probably true, but I've come to understand how things are done here in Thailand and it doesn't bother me. In Canada we pay a large portion of our income in taxes of all kinds, both hidden and obvious. The efficient Canadian police system is paid for through taxes. The police get paid a good wage but that comes out of my income whether I like it or not. In Thailand, the police get paid a pittance in wages which they have to supplement through bribes and those road stops. If you learn and follow the rules, and pay the least amount of attention, you won't get stuck paying the bribes very often. When it eventually happens all you can do is laugh and pay up.

There was a whole string of farangs laughing about the situation. Everyone was guilty of something. Most were ticketed for not wearing helmets. The rental bikes all supply helmets, If people choose not to wear them then paying the occasional fine is the result.

In Canada we are over regulated, and the law makers keep adding more regulations to try and prevent stupidity. I'm sorry, but more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things. I kind of enjoy the freedom that Thailand offers. If you do something really stupid then it might cost you your life. If you learn to expect the unexpected then you can be reasonably safe in Thai traffic.

This is very sensible and I wish everyone had the same attitude as you. I can honestly say that I've been stopped a few times in Thailand and was guilty every time. Did pay the fine, which was a pittance compared to what it would have cost me in the USA.

I was out all morning, and pretty much circumnavigated the city. Road blocks everywhere. As my Thai friends repeatedly warn me, collections are made around the first of each month. This month, the fund-raising effort appears to be very strenuous.

I was prepared, and got through without having to dole out any cash, but the traffic jams were a nuisance. Some set-ups are stealthy enough to invite a pile-up when vehicles rapidly stop on police command, and traffic coming round the corner has no time to respond.

Maybe there's bonus money for that.

Edited by anselpixel

Who is complaining? I'm certainly not. The police were just out there collecting their tax money. I even suspected that there might be a check point there before I went shopping at the market. It was just an easier route from my place to get there. I already stated that I had forgotten you are not SUPPOSED to make a turn on a red light, but it happens EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME! It is easy enough to fall into the bad habits of the Thai riders.

If the police actually wanted to be of some service then they would ticket all the vehicles driving through red lights LONG after the light turned red. Of course, that might interfere with the natural flow of traffic that strangely enough, actually seems to work.

The police would say they were out there enforcing the law and you were one of the many who were stopped for breaking the law. As for the location of the police station, that is one of the oldest, earliest settled parts of Chiang Mai. So it is not surprising at all that there should be a police station there; I think it might even be one of the main ones.

Hope you learned your lesson! I for one find it refreshing that they are having these crackdowns. It would be really nice if they started rigidly enforcing the helmet laws too(especially by CMU). Drivers around that area are also the worst in town. Agree with you on the red lights. Another problem that is never enforced are the illegal u-turns at red lights; that can be very dangerous too.

Edited by TheVicar

Not clear why or if the OP is stating universally no left turn on red as it is legal but with a 'depends' applied to it. I'm assuming that specific location has either arrow lights or a sign denoting no left turn allowed and why fined.

Not clear why or if the OP is stating universally no left turn on red as it is legal but with a 'depends' applied to it. I'm assuming that specific location has either arrow lights or a sign denoting no left turn allowed and why fined.

I await, of course, the OP's explanation, but I assumed, in part because I had the experience recently of being ticketed at the very same corner for offending as I am about to describe, that she meant no left turn on a red light without coming to a full stop first.

without coming to a full stop first.

Perhaps that's it, aka a rolling stop. biggrin.png

If you see a printed sign hanging off the post near the traffic light.

It almost certainly says "No left turn on red light".

Forget rolling stops, or any other such nonsense.

dam_n, I always thought those blue signs said that it was OK to turn left on a red there! Well it's always better to be lucky than smart.