The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are planning to relocate to the UK later this month, the BBC understands, ending their period living in the US. Prince Harry and Meghan are expected to move to a private, non-royal home outside London, according to reports first published by the Daily Telegraph and the Sun. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are due to begin at a British school in September. King Charles was informed about the planned move on Sunday. However, there are no plans for Harry or Meghan to return to official roles as working members of the Royal Family. Family informedThe King was not aware of the move before last weekend, but is said to welcome the chance to spend more time with the Sussexes and their children privately. Prince William and Princess Catherine have also been told about the plans. The couple and their children visited Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove in Gloucestershire in July. The planned relocation was not discussed during that meeting, which Buckingham Palace described as a "private family occasion". The visit was significant because it was the first time Charles had seen his grandchildren in person for more than four years. Harry and Meghan have not travelled to the UK together since 2022, when they attended the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II. No return to royal dutiesThe Sussexes left the UK and stepped back from royal duties in early 2020 before moving to California. Relations between Harry, Meghan and other members of the Royal Family have been strained since then, although the July meeting was seen as an important development in Harry's relationship with his father. Despite their planned return, Harry and Meghan will continue to have no official royal role and will remain private individuals. Security concernsSecurity arrangements have been a longstanding source of tension for Harry, particularly when visiting the UK. The couple's July meeting with Charles was reportedly reconsidered after Harry's request for police protection was rejected. Last year, Harry lost a legal challenge against the decision to reduce the level of security provided to him and his family in the UK after he ceased to be a working royal and moved to the US. Harry has previously said concerns over the safety of his wife and children have made him reluctant to bring them to Britain. Join the discussion? 20 August 2026
View full article
Create an account or sign in to comment