Atm's

Beachcomber

Hi!

Has anyone noticed the appearance of a sort of metal “hood” thing over the slot where you put in the card?

If you get down a bit and look up in the “hood” looks like something is there but difficult to know what.

I use Siam Commercial so maybe it’s only something specific to them though not all their ATM’s have them – strange.

First time I noticed one I thought it may be a scanning device that reads your numbers as the card slides in with some guy round the corner getting the info via radio signal. But as some of these “hoods’ are on ATM’s at the actual bank I’m sure some employee would have noticed. Besides they look pretty sturdy and too well fixed to be a temp rip-off fixture.

Anybody know what they are about?

Just as an aside I stick black insulating tape over the numbers of my card so no one can scan or read them. :o

Beachcomber.

Noticed it and wondered myself. There's a website that shows some of those modified ATM's and it does look very similar, however I see the thing you mention on most of SCB's ATM's and often they are at the actual branch so I suppose it's ok ... :o

Good idea with the tape though!

Edited by madsere

Just as an aside I stick black insulating tape over the numbers of my card so no one can scan or read them. :o

Beachcomber.

Aren't you worried that the card will get stuck inside the machine with that layer of tape on it?

Just as an aside I stick black insulating tape over the numbers of my card so no one can scan or read them. :D

Beachcomber.

Aren't you worried that the card will get stuck inside the machine with that layer of tape on it?

I worried the first time but it worked OK.

If you are worried try first time at a bank ATM then if it does get stuck you can go in and get your card back.

Show passport and no problem – as long as the manager is not out to lunch or something :o

Just as an aside I stick black insulating tape over the numbers of my card so no one can scan or read them. :D

Beachcomber.

I worried the first time but it worked OK.

If you are worried try first time at a bank ATM then if it does get stuck you can go in and get your card back.

Show passport and no problem – as long as the manager is not out to lunch or something :o

OH please!!!

No its not a good idea cos sooner or later that piece of tape will gum up the works, that however is missing the point. And the point is that even if it were a device able to read the numbers on the front of your card that data is of no damm use to anyone, it is after all only the account number and expiry dates. A skimming device needs to be able to read the ISO data recorded on the mag stripe.

The only use for a camera at the atm site is if it can record they entry of the pin, THAT , combined with the data on the mag stripe is what makes this fraud possible. Actually you could also find yourself in trouble for taping your card because they may well think your trying out a variation of the "lebanese loop" which uses a not dissimilar method to capture cards. Buy a piggy bank and hide it.

I lost my ATM card last night and relized 24 hrs later which was about 5 hours ago.

Have cancelled my card and shall be visiting my local branch to see if my card was used. Hope not !

My point is the card comes out after the cash In England its the other way around whos gonna walk off with out their cash.

Anyone had their ATM card stolen or lost it in LOS (a Thai bank ATM) and did andy funds get removed?

I ALWAYS check well on ATM's now.

About 4-5 months ago I used one and was refused any money from it, strange I thought as I had funds in the bank. The next day I found that 13,500 THB had been taken out in approx 8 transactions over 4 mins from the same ATM. I looked at the ATM and it appeared fine but obviously it was not.

The bank gave me the money back so there must have been something dodgy going on.

Now I only use ones in proper banks, the one I had trouble with was attached to a 7-11

I believe the scanners read the magnetic strip of your card

A mall radio transmitting camera then photos your pin code as you key it in.

hey don't need or want your card number, they just copy your details onto another card that they have signed in their real signature.

No they do not read your number off the magnetic strip. They scan the up-side of your card as it goes in. (Cover it with tape)

There is a hidden camera that videos your key presses

Then they make a new card with your info on the electronic strip and with the video of your pin number can access your account.

OK call me paranoid but for the sake of a piece of black tape over my numbers I should worry what you think.

Do a search for ATM fraud or ATM scams and see what is going on out there.

Remember this is the land of piracy / copy think it doesn’t happen here?

:o

The skimmer reads the strip on the card not the numbers

The numbers just identify the card.

I could print up a card with your numbers or it but if I don't have the data on the magnetic strip it is worthless.

They copy the strip as it goes into the machine, a little camera looks at the keys you are pressing and sends it all back to them

They then take another card and swipe your data onto that card.

The other card WILL have different numbers on it to your card and a different signature but your data.

That is why PIN numbers are now being used because people can easily just transfer the data from your magnetic strip to another cards magnetic strip.