Actor Who Played American T.v. Icon Gomer Pyle Gets Married

Jingthing

To a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6_1Pw1xm9U

Americans of a certain age grew up with Gomer Pyle. The word Gomer has entered the language. In the medical profession it's an insulting description of a dim witted drooling type patient. (Not nice.) Anyway the character was well loved.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2579630.html

"I'm 82 and he's in his 60s and so we've been together for 38 years and I'm not ashamed of people knowing, it's just that it was such a personal thing, I didn't tell anybody," Nabors said. "I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years and I feel very blessed. And, what can I tell you, I'm just very happy."

Nabors said he's been open about his homosexuality to co-workers and friends but never acknowledged it to the media before. He doesn't plan to get involved in the issue politically.

"I'm not a debater. And everybody has their own opinion about this and actually I'm not an activist, so I've never gotten involved in any of this," Nabors told Hawaii News Now.

Edited by Jingthing

He's not a gay activist, but somewhat weirdly what he and his famous old show represents "culturally" in America to mainstream older white males (the most resistant group to same sex civil rights) makes this publicity late in his life a political milestone.

While this shouldn't be news, it is. I find it good that news of gay celebrities marrying are published, to show the many people who don't know any gays see that gay marriage is quite normal and (should be) an everyday event.

While this shouldn't be news, it is. I find it good that news of gay celebrities marrying are published, to show the many people who don't know any gays see that gay marriage is quite normal and (should be) an everyday event.

He's still a celebrity. So just the fact that he married anyone especially at his age would be some level of news.

I reckon the value of these vintage Gomer Pyle lunchboxes are set to surge! (Seriously.)

post-37101-0-43182200-1359820273_thumb.j

The event is inspiring some humor. Bill Maher titled his item about the news: Gomersexual. He also proposed that the sex act now called 69 would now be known as the SHAZAM. (Reference from the show.)

Edited by Jingthing

even when I was a kid watching that show in the 60s, it was common knowledge Nabors was gay. good for him that he can be open about it now...a little progress in these times of ours!

Sent from my spaceship.

No it wasn't. rolleyes.gif

Really it wasn't.

Back then even Liberace was only referred to as FLAMBOYANT.

Edited by Jingthing