Thais Are Upset With This Parody

upinthesky

Which Thai people? Who have you discussed this with? I know a few Thai people that would find this funny. Perhaps you would need to explain that the sketch really makes fun of westerners, and not so much of Thai people. You could even stretch it a bit further and see it as a compliment for Thai women... whistling.gif

Edited by robenroute

As an American in Thailand who has been seen before studying Thai in the USA, the skit made me groan a little bit. It was MUCH more of a hit about Americans who are into Thailand than Thailand! The stereotypes about us are bad enough already. However, it was great comedy.

The humor of the skit DEPENDED on the target American audience ALREADY having these views about both Thailand and Americans drawn to Thailand. No problem there, as they do.

In no way imaginable was the target audience of this skit Thai people in Thailand. I get why some would be offended, but it wasn't meant for their eyes anyway and they weren't even really the target.

For non Americans this is not just a youtube clip. The skit was featured on last week's Saturday Night Live, a hugely popular (and historic) comedy variety show. So, many millions of people saw it.

Edited by Jingthing

It is very funny . Why should Thais be insulted when they actively promote this image. A few times i have been "defending" the image of Thailand to other falungs by talking about the culture, history and other things beside the bar scene and then a Thai girl will pop their pretty little head up and ask them if they want to meet a nice girl for boom boom. Usually it will their their sister or cousin. . Can not win either way.

Unfunny. typical Hollywood controlled by the master editors smut trash. Of course the laymen on the street think it's hilarious as they swallow whatever they are fed by their masters

I'm confused. You call yourself Nana Cowboy and you've got something against smut trash? BTW, SNL, since 1975, is a New York City based show.

The Thais are upset again..........first the Buddha's on mobile toilets in the Netherlands, a few days later the shopping Katoey at IKEA and now a parody on Thai language-courses.

All farang-related and so..........something to complain about.

Ever seen the Thai comedy-shows where there is a lot of talking crap, where retarded Thai and katoeys are subject to brutal physical and mental abuse......and where all unwritten rules of social behavior are thrown down the drain??

Of course no complaints from Thai.........they are laughing their brains out and are occupying their single brain cell!!