Yoghurt Maker -Where Can I Buy One?

rikki

I've never tried in a flask... I just used a plastic tub, actually the tub a store yoghurt came in. Not sure what a yoghurt maker is supposed to do other than regulate temperature which, in my experience, isn't all that critical.

My method was to simply heat the milk to "warm" (not very specific - hot but cool enough to (comfortably) stick a finger in it), drop in a yoghurt dollop from the previous pot, and leave it overnight at room temperature. Maybe I was just lucky but got perfect results every time with that simple method...

And now I have a craving for shrikhand...

• Like 2

I've just written to a company in Canada, who used to supply me with starter cultures when I was in Indonesia. I made my own yoghurt from these cultures for some years.

Some cultures will set at room temperature here in Chiang Mai, but others need slow heating in a yoghurt maker.

Acidophilus yoghurt, which is good for keeping away 'bad' bugs is not so easy to obtain here, and is more difficult to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus

Our family of wife and four teens survived 2 years in Indonesia with no tummy bugs at all, as our maid made yoghurt for us which she inherited from her previous employers from Denmark.

I'm also making enquiries in Australia with a company which produces a pack complete with powdered milk in various flavours, and I'm hoping to convince them to sell this product in Thailand.

I'll post on this forum any progress made.

i boil the raw milk from the coop(5kg for 110bt!) and let it cool down.

the best temperature is around 40-like your forehead when in a fever

then add the yogurt and wrap it in a towel to keep it from cooling off.

about 5 hrs.done.

yogurt makers might be good in the cold country.

Where do you buy the raw milk?

Edited by damole

My wife makes 2 litre batches pretty much the way bobl describes. No special equipment apart from a saucepan to warm the milk in. I guess ambient temps here are fine.

I agree. It is very easy to make yogurt in Thailand. I use a large saucepan on a gas stove and let the yogurt mature in a plastic cooler filled with warm water. I make about 4 L every 10 days or so. The only failure I ever had was when I used a dodgy batch of yogurt as the starter.

A yogurt maker would be just one extra piece of unnecessary equipment.

• Like 1

i buy it at the milk co op on highway 11 just next to serapi -from 121 to 11 then u turn -you're there

or same thing across from the zoo where you can also buy cheese

as i said before 5 kg @ 115bt but i am not 100% sure it's raw -doesn't matter anyway

the starter thing is just an expensive rumor -most yoghurt has plenty of acedophilus bacteria

and plain joghurt from 7/11 will do fine.

room temperature in cm varies from 20 to 35 so that's really bs

but if the temps are low it will take longer and there is more of a risk of contamination from airborne bacteria.

from wikipedia: L. acidophilus occurs naturally in the human and animal gastrointestinal tract, mouth, and vagina.

so all you have to do is spit in the milk if you think its not in the store bought yoghurt

i buy it at the milk co op on highway 11 just next to serapi -from 121 to 11 then u turn -you're there

as i said before 5 kg @ 115bt but i am not 100% sure it's raw -doesn't matter anyway

Thanks for that. Pass that place every day.

I bought 5 KGs for 125 Bt at the place opposite the zoo on Friday. It's more than I really need but it's deinfitely not homgenised which most milk seems to be these days..

I've been making Kefir and yoghurt this past weeked. Thanks for the tip!

--damole

Here's the GPS for a health food store that sells yogurt makers. Can't recall the name. Or at least has sold yogurt makers in the past. 18.794482,98.995804

I've also seen them for sale at Bakersmart on occasion. GPS18.755293,99.00822

This is Baan Suan Pak if that's helpful to anyone.

I'm in the middle of my first ever attempt at making yoghurt, following the advice from this thread - thanks to all posters. One thing I wasn't sure about is after you add the starter yoghurt, do you keep the mixture in an airtight container, or should it be ventilated?

Cheers

15Peter

I'm in the middle of my first ever attempt at making yoghurt, following the advice from this thread - thanks to all posters. One thing I wasn't sure about is after you add the starter yoghurt, do you keep the mixture in an airtight container, or should it be ventilated?

Cheers

15Peter

Airtight container room temp for 7 hours or so (I left overnight) then refrigerate and enjoy

Cheers

15Peter

Airtight container room temp for 7 hours or so (I left overnight) then refrigerate and enjoy

Thanks for that. Okay, it's been at about 34 degrees for 6 hours. Just had a look and it's still very runny but smells like normal plain yoghurt. Should it be thick at this stage, or does it only get thick after you put it in the fridge?

Cheers

15Peter

We just made yoghurt last night... No need for fancy equipment at all..

2 liters fresh milk (we used full fat Meiji from Tesco)

1 small pot of DutchMill natural full fat yoghurt.

We did sterilize everything we used with boiling water 1st.

Heated the milk to near boiling point ie steaming and small bubbles starting to gather at the edges of the pot.

Then cooled the pot quickly by placing in a sink full of cold water.

When it was just above body temp, in other words you can still feel the heat but not burning your finger, we added the full pot of yoghurt.

Mixed in thoroughly and then transferred to air tight plastic containers.

Wrapped the containers in a towel and placed inside a polystyrene cool box.

After 10 hours we had some dam_n fine looking and tasting yoghurt but I think it will be even better after a day in the fridge :)

Too easy.....

Thanks for that. Okay, it's been at about 34 degrees for 6 hours. Just had a look and it's still very runny but smells like normal plain yoghurt. Should it be thick at this stage, or does it only get thick after you put it in the fridge?

It's unlikely it will ever be as thick as what you buy because it doesn't have the extra thickening ingredients. You might try adding some powdered milk. Stir in about twice as much as the starter yoghurt. There's a world of info on google, too.

Thanks for the advice.

I've done it twice now and both times the home made yoghurt came out very nicely. First time (0.5 liters) I left it for 6 hours at 34 degrees, next time (2 liters) 7 hours at 32-33 degrees. I think it follows that the lower the temperature, the longer you need to leave it - within a certain range of course.

So I'm now thinking about how to develop this further and am wondering the following:

1) Can the yoghurt be eaten after it has been frozen, like a kind of icecream? Or does anything have to be added to it before freezing?

2) If I wanted to flavor the yoghurt, what would be the best way. How and at what point in the process would the flavoring be added?

Thanks a lot for any ideas, yoghurt-making pioneers!

15Peter

Edited by 15Peter20

Thanks for the advice.

I've done it twice now and both times the home made yoghurt came out very nicely. First time (0.5 liters) I left it for 6 hours at 34 degrees, next time (2 liters) 7 hours at 32-33 degrees. I think it follows that the lower the temperature, the longer you need to leave it - within a certain range of course.

So I'm now thinking about how to develop this further and am wondering the following:

1) Can the yoghurt be eaten after it has been frozen, like a kind of icecream? Or does anything have to be added to it before freezing?

2) If I wanted to flavor the yoghurt, what would be the best way. How and at what point in the process would the flavoring be added?

Thanks a lot for any ideas, yoghurt-making pioneers!

15Peter

I have blended some very ripe yellow mangoes with some self made yogurt and put it in the freezer. It needs stirring up every hour or so for a few hours so it doesn't end up as a frozen lump. It is much healthier than ice cream and more delicious.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Use a good starter, the thick yoghurt from DelCheeso (in a soy behind SCB in Hang Dong road, just after big Tesco, works really well.

One tablespoonful stirred into a tub of pasteurised milk, leave standing on top of the fridge overnight.

Perfect yoghurt every time.

Don't use raw milk, any pasteurised milk works really well without pre-heating.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

the starter thing is just an expensive rumor -most yoghurt has plenty of acedophilus bacteria

but if the temps are low it will take longer and there is more of a risk of contamination from airborne bacteria.

from wikipedia:L. acidophilus occurs naturally in the human and animal gastrointestinal tract, mouth, and vagina.

so all you have to do is spit in the milk if you think its not in the store bought yoghurt

Can somebody please give me some idiot proof directions to this Milk co op place. I know the highway 11/121 intersection, but thats about it. Should i be on the 11? Before or after the intersection if coming from Town? Cheers

from wikipedia:L. acidophilus occurs naturally in the human and animal gastrointestinal tract, mouth, and vagina.

Can somebody please give me some idiot proof directions to this Milk co op place. I know the highway 11/121 intersection, but thats about it. Should i be on the 11? Before or after the intersection if coming from Town? Cheers

Copy these coordinates into google maps 18.723009,99.040976

Head south along hwy 11 from 121. Make the u-turn just before the first set of traffic lights.

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Copy these coordinates into google maps 18.723009,99.040976

Head south along hwy 11 from 121. Make the u-turn just before the first set of traffic lights.

Thankyou