Mandarin Oriental High Tea Review

LawrenceChee

Popped in there today for a quick high tea after lunch and here's the lowdown

Ambience wise it's a quiet area of the hotel , you can pick the air con / non aircon area although the decor is rustic compared to Chedi

Food is where they trumped the Chedi very nice cakes and made right with correct texture and sweetness for the opera cakes and the macaroons were tasty although in their boxes @ the fridge looks tacky 35 baht a piece reasonable for the quality

Tea came well presented and presentation Chedi wins in the tea sets and sugar bowls

A good spot to rest if u are heading off the Samkampeng area .

I assume this was at Oriental Shop (their bakery, inside the shopping village)? Or one of their other restaurants?

Orental Bakery is a favorite place for me, I usually go for whatever their monthly promotion is (any coffee or tea plus usully some kind of cake/pastry). That's about 115 baht so a good deal given the overall price level and ambiance. You'd spend about the same just having coffee and cake at Rim Ping supermarket.

Another high tea place I still need to try is the place just South from the Chedi on the river. Forgot the name.

Lawrence welcome back. Are you going to stay a while or just passing through?

A good thing you arrived when you did we have had a pretender to the throne. He was more capable of judging books than food. That being said I recall you have pretty well covered a lot of ground. But I am not sure if you have done Indian food and I know for a fact you have avoided Hamburgers. Hintwhistling.gif Hintwhistling.gifclap2.gif

Thanks for the welcome back...be here till end of March for my usual break so there will be time

Off to a new seafood joint tonight in nimman so have a look at the review tomorrow

:-) hamburgers well I had dukes on the 1st day back for lunch but they hardly need any introduction or reviews kkkkk that's a solid western comfort place

Thanks for the welcome back...be here till end of March for my usual break so there will be time

Off to a new seafood joint tonight in nimman so have a look at the review tomorrow

:-) hamburgers well I had dukes on the 1st day back for lunch but they hardly need any introduction or reviews kkkkk that's a solid western comfort place

You surprised me with your choice of a first day meal. My boy when he comes for a visit makes it a ritual to cross the river to the Dukes on the river and have the ribs, He tried them at the River Market but said the original was the best. Maybe you could do a review on ribs. As American food goes it has a strong backing. Not sure about other countries.