Victims' Families Join Call For Amnesty For All Demonstrators: Thailand

webfact

Victims' families join call for amnesty for all demonstrators

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Relatives of victims killed and injured in the May 1992 uprising called on the government yesterday to enact an amnesty law to absolve all demonstrators, with the exception of the protest leaders.

The Committee of May 1992 Heroes' Relatives, led by Adul Khiewboribun, called on the government in a statement to act immediately to grant amnesty to ordinary people who took part in political rallies.

newsjs

Adul said it had become clear that all sides agreed that an amnesty law should be enacted and it should not cover the government leaders at that time, the military officers in the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, government officials and leaders of the protesters.

Adul said the government should heed a proposal of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship - red shirts - to issue an amnesty decree immediately instead of waiting further.

He said the government should at least consider two other options from Suda Rangukphan, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, and the National Rule of Law Commission (NRLC).

Suda proposed the government should back a charter amendment bill to add a chapter on amnesty to the Constitution and that the amendment should start before the current parliamentary session ends in three months.

NRLC chairman Ukrit Mongkolnavin said MPs should sponsor an amnesty bill within the current parliamentary session or else he would cooperate with civil groups to raise signatures from voters to sponsor such a |bill.

Adul said the government should not further drag its feet because it was the first time in Thailand's history that the people had come out on their own to call for an amnesty.

He said the leaders of rallies were ready to face the consequences so they had not called for an amnesty for themselves.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-04

Adul said it had become clear that all sides agreed that an amnesty law should be enacted and it should not cover the government leaders at that time, the military officers in the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, government officials and leaders of the protesters.

All sides do NOT agree that an amnesty law should be enacted.

Of the sides that do agree, they all do NOT think it shouldn't cover government leaders at that time, the military officers in the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, government officials and leaders of the protesters.

Adul said the government should heed a proposal of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship - red shirts - to issue an amnesty decree immediately instead of waiting further.

Chalerm has already said the government would NOT heed the proposal by the Red Shirts.

Of all the umpteen versions of the amnesty proposals, it would seem Adul's version is the LEAST reconciliatory of them all.

This is absurd. The people got paid by someone that couldn't give a rat's a$$ about Thailand or the people, to terrorize the government and the people, and then when they get hurt they want compensation rather than take responsibilities for their actions.

So, some people want amnesty, they came out on their own, so what?

This amnesty crap is nothing more than finger pointing if you do this to us we'll do that to you.

This would never be an issue if there were concrete laws and people would abide by them.

Who wants amnesty? the Thai people? I think the criminals do. bah.gif

• Like 1

This is for the 1992 events.

I re-read it again and was starting to think the same..... until reaching the section below.

CRES was formed in 2009.

Now, I read it as I first did, that this 1992 group is calling for amnesty of the Red Shirts in regards to 2010 events.

OP:

Incidentally, while looking up more info on Adul, came across this older newspaper article and thought it interesting in the context of Adul and a then adversary and now Red Shirt Leader (as well as Pheu Thai Party MP), who had some rather unflattering comments about Adul back then.

February 23, 2002

The Confederation for Democracy yesterday denounced Adul Khiewboribun, chairman of the May Heroes' Relatives Committee, as a "parasite living off those killed in the May crisis". Weng Tojitrakarn, confederation chairman, and other members yesterday held a press conference to denounce Adul, after Adul said he had forgiven former prime minister Suchinda Kraprayoon and would invite him to a "dinner talk"

http://www.nationmul...-say-56052.html

A decade later and it's yet more strange bedfellows in Thailand.

Edited by Buchholz

Now, I read it as I first did, that this 1992 group is calling for amnesty of the Red Shirts in regards to 2010 events.

Confirmed by the other paper's much clearer article with the caveat the "parasite" (as Weng called him) is backing amnesty for those involved between 2006 and 2011, which would include Weng.

I fail to see where amnesty for Abhist would be a good thing.

It would be saying protecting the country from Terrorists is wrong you can be charged with it. Let them do any thing they want and then say it was OK fellows you can go home now thank you for the entertainment.

Against my will I have to admit that for reunification amnesty should be allowed for the Terrorists. But not for there leaders or the people who paid for it.

We all know even the most uneducated that Thaksin was behind it all. But apparently there was money from other people to pay the red shirts to attempt to burn Bangkok down after they had raided the hospital. (those people should be charged)

There was a committee set up a few years ago if I remember correctly to find out where money other than Thaksins came from to bankroll the cheesy.gif armedcheesy.gif peacefulcheesy.gif demonstration.clap2.gif

Does any one know what became of that.wai2.gif