Thai Govt Wants Youtube Sex Spoof Removed

webfact

On the flip side, tourist arrivals will hit 27million next year...

Actually for now we predict 24.5m, but with all the good promotion (even from abroad!) 27m could very well be possible rolleyes.gif

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he he, video was funny.. and ask how mutch, goes for everything in this country,, maybe the thais should teach their people not to ask 3 times the prices instead , like they do on almoust all you want buy something outside from food shop.. Is to late to change the image, Every grown up over 17 years in western Europe knows what going onin sex buisness in Thailand anyway..Anoher issue is Americans, they hardly know they have 52 states..

Well, I've been living here for thirty years, and learned within a month how not to get ripped off. It's tricky. You have to have some idea what the goods cost the Thai vendor. You want a girl? Well, what it's "worth" is between you and your pecker. If she turns you on you might be willing to pay more. If not, less. You can bargain. The worst whe'll do is say, "Farang too cheap Charlie." And walk away. Does it bother you to be rejected by a whore? I've shopped for all kinds of stuff in all kinds of shopw, in Bangkok and up-country in villages where they see a farang about once a year, and hardly ever had a Thai try to cheat me. Sure, it happens, but I used to have a friend who spent time in jail for credit card fraud from when he owned a retail store in New York. Thailand isn't the only place where (some) people will try to take advantage of you. He used to mark his prices up double and had huge signs all over the store, "Sale, 20% Off." Plenty of people bought. You think the price is too high? Don't buy it. Wait until you get back to Bangkok and go to Paragon or Central World.

Edited by Acharn

What a pity; I am not able to see the clip. It is or blocked already or busy or taken away. My conversations with Thai ladies working in the entertainment circuit have been very limited for 6 years but I go for the end result. Not the talk. "Where you from?" "I am from jail". "Yeel far away?" "Yes, far, very far". "Long time?"

"Yes long time already". Sip the drinks together and waiting for a new quesion: "What you do?" "Ohhh, me very terrible feminine abuser" "Long time?" "Yes, long time already". "You buy drink for me and want barfine me?"

So, it does not matter what English you speak and answer. Easy job. But don't ask: "You speak Khmer?". Because the eyes will spit fire and your date is ruined. If it is a lady boy the voice will jump few octaves lower. Khmer is not done................ Try it!

You could say this is equally offensive to American males. The idea that American males go to countries like Thailand to pay for sex?

I think we can all agree the sex industry is big here and lines the pockets very well for some people.

You can't have your cake 'and' eat it.

Yes, complaints from a country that is aware of a pedophile for years before "moving in." It's because of this lax attitude that people outside think Thailand is the way it was portrayed.

And anyone going to Pattaya or Bangkok wold agree it this way.

We say what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. This is meant to sound like it is meant to sound, but they seem to be OK with it.

The Thai government either needs to make changes, like more jobs for woman, or just admit it is the way it is. As is many other places.

SNL skit besmirches good name of Thailand sex tourism industry

loved that bit, seems they believe the sex industry has a good name, but isnt it supposed to be against the law?

I for one only know about this because of the complaint, how many others?

I see they have a committee to look into these things.

More jobs for friends and relations.

• Like 1

SNL skit besmirches good name of Thailand sex tourism industry

By Shane Danaher

snl-578x387.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Though it seemed as if the final death knell had long ago sounded for Saturday Night Live’s cultural relevance, in the past two weeks the US late-night institution has managed to shake some of the cobwebs from its latter-season somnambulance and create a minor-league international incident.

In a sketch that aired a week ago, SNL ribbed on Thailand’s sexual tourism industry in the form of a fake “Rosetta Stone” advertisement that offered to teach American tourists such Thai phrases as “How much?” and “Is that for the whole night?”

You know what, just check it out below: [more...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=buPJ6Qr-tw8

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...urism-industry/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-04

I thought it was supposed to be "Why you so sillyus???"

So much for my Thai lessons in Patpong Road.

• Like 1

If prostitution is illegal why do millions of people in every country sell their bodies and minds to their bosses? Have you ever thought that working any job is prostitution? It amuses me that people who work 8 hours a day at a pathetic rate of pay get upset and indignant about people who their genitals in their work and get a much higher rate per hour. The moral police are typically religious zealots who are far too interested in other peoples sex lives.

• Like 1

ROSETTA STONE THAI

Spoof on Thailand removed from YouTube

The Nation

30199353-01_big.jpg

YouTube has removed the "Rosetta Stone Thai" spoof video clip produced by US late-night TV show's "Saturday Night Live" that portrays Thailand in a negative light, mocking the country as a destination for sex tourists.

Full story:

Firstly I've watched it and found it very funny. I've never had any contact with sex workers so I have no experience of it. It seems to also poke fun at foreigners (Americans in this case but it applies to all) who have such shallow views and have to pay for sex so maybe they should complain as well.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand so the only reason there is anything to make fun of is because Thai authorities fail to enforce their own laws. Why don't they enforce the law? Well I can only guess based on what I've heard as I'm not close enough to know but maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. There are influential people who make money out of the sex workers. That might be the police, politicians and others of high standing. Thailand seems to have this reputation as an easy place to buy sex which presumably is why some come here. If that number is substantial then the lack of enforcement helps bring in those tourists which the kingdom would lose and have to replace. Does Thailand want and can it afford to lose them or not?

Making a fuss about this isn't going to help when Thailand is so hypocritical as it seems to be about many things. This isn't about Thai culture as this was done in the USA. Thais can complain if they wish as that's the idea behind free speech but they can't force their views on people in other countries. Remember I only found out about this because Thai officials decided to complain. If you can't stop it just let it go and don't worry about it. I think that's some sort of Buddhist teaching isn't it? Odd that Thais are Buddhist but forget this when it suits them, as is often the case from what I've seen.

Why I love this countrysmile.png

There is prostitution in nearly every country in the world.

It is part of human history and it will not be going away soon.

As to why the Thai government does not try to do something about it???

They are always trying to curb prostitution in a number of ways and means ...but the social conditions are a little overwhelming.

Historically it does not matter if the economy is good or bad..there will exist prostitiution in its many forms.

Look at any country that is considered having a good economy and good social conditions and you will still find prostitution and all that it entials.

If it makes some money for people then that is the incentive and most of what prostitution revolves around.

Take away the money aspect and what you basically have is women and men having sex...something that is going to happen anyhow relevant to the fact that there are now 7 billion people ......resultant of women and men having sex.

The governments of the world can not stop people from having sex so how are you going to stop prostitution when you realise "all" the factors that are involved.

Firstly I've watched it and found it very funny. I've never had any contact with sex workers so I have no experience of it. It seems to also poke fun at foreigners (Americans in this case but it applies to all) who have such shallow views and have to pay for sex so maybe they should complain as well.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand so the only reason there is anything to make fun of is because Thai authorities fail to enforce their own laws. Why don't they enforce the law? Well I can only guess based on what I've heard as I'm not close enough to know but maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. There are influential people who make money out of the sex workers. That might be the police, politicians and others of high standing. Thailand seems to have this reputation as an easy place to buy sex which presumably is why some come here. If that number is substantial then the lack of enforcement helps bring in those tourists which the kingdom would lose and have to replace. Does Thailand want and can it afford to lose them or not?

Making a fuss about this isn't going to help when Thailand is so hypocritical as it seems to be about many things. This isn't about Thai culture as this was done in the USA. Thais can complain if they wish as that's the idea behind free speech but they can't force their views on people in other countries. Remember I only found out about this because Thai officials decided to complain. If you can't stop it just let it go and don't worry about it. I think that's some sort of Buddhist teaching isn't it? Odd that Thais are Buddhist but forget this when it suits them, as is often the case from what I've seen.

They are always trying to curb prostitution in a number of ways and means ...but the social conditions are a little overwhelming.

Historically it does not matter if the economy is good or bad..there will exist prostitiution in its many forms.

Look at any country that is considered having a good economy and good social conditions and you will still find prostitution and all that it entials.

If it makes some money for people then that is the incentive and most of what prostitution revolves around.

Take away the money aspect and what you basically have is women and men having sex...something that is going to happen anyhow relevant to the fact that there are now 7 billion people ......resultant of women and men having sex.

The governments of the world can not stop people from having sex so how are you going to stop prostitution when you realise "all" the factors that are involved.

The Thai government is always trying to ban prostitution?

If there some other Thailand country in another part of the world i don't know about?

Yes every country has prostitutes and there is no disputing that. The point is the scale of prostitution in Thailand compared to other places. Thailand has become world famous for it's prostitution and ladyboy scene. When you check the definition of prostitution in the dictionary you see Thailand.

When you think China it is the Great Wall, America the Statue of Liberty, France the Eifel Tower, Australia the Opera House etc. Thailand The sex Industry.

Thailand has spent decades building this world famous HUB and even if they cleaned it all up and put it behind doors they will still hold the mantel for decades to come.

• Like 2

As i said earlier, the SNL skeetch is by no means original. I recall seeing this almost 2 years ago.

It is much better done (though SNL production values are higher), and it is much more clearly a poke at sex tourists rather than the countires they visit, though you most certainly cant have one without the other.

Another Thai who is outraged about something that happens in another country? Maybe Saturday Night Life should apologize...NOT!

Thailand has to come to terms with a simple fact: this IS the picture, many people abroad have about Thailand!

It is not about temples and food, elephants or beaches alone....

First they have to come to terms with the fact that they are NOT #1 in the World or even in Asia, despite what they might think and want to believe.

Very, very unfortunately, decades of nationalistic brainwashing prevents them from seeing these very apparent facts. Long ago Indonesia took over the #1 spot for SE Asia. They have Thailand beaten on nearly all economic fronts. Malaysia is nearly there. It is only a matter of time. Thailand is losing its place in the world, and I doubt many politicians see it. Very, very few countries of significance take Thailand seriously, and for very good reason. We may love it here, but this is a nation run by highly incompetent individuals, from the very top, to the very bottom. Competence is so rare here, that it is almost shocking when I do encounter it!

• Like 2

The Thai government is always trying to ban prostitution?

If there some other Thailand country in another part of the world i don't know about?

Absolutely not. Do not consider that possibility for even a moment. Do you realize how much of their GDP is generated from sex related businesses? How many homes in Issan would fail to be built without? Consider the ripple effect of all of this income. The government has zero interest in eradicating this. Too many people in high places profit from it. Where did Chalerm make all his millions? Prostitution. This is nothing but hogwash talk, meant for public consumption. There is nothing behind it. No conviction, no intent, no will, and no morality, just fundamentalist hogwash. Period.