Mae Sai Only 15 Days Visa?

Hi my and my fiancee came to Thailand with a 6 months visa (2 entries of 3 months each), which I obtained from my home country. Upon arrival in Bangkok I got a 2 month visa, and now I'd like to get another 2 months which would cover the rest of our stay here. I am planning on going to Mae Sai in 2 days to go out and back in and get the 2 months. However the travel agents I've been to got me worried as they said that they only give 15 days there. Is this true?

Edited by drthai

Go to immigration and they will give you a 30 day extension on your visa, after this you will need to leave Thailand (do a border run) and on your return you will be given another 60 days, this is how tourist visas work

The 15 day rule is only for people with no visas so don't worry about it.

Sounds like the travel company was about to sale you there superdupper we will get you 60 days. As everyone said you will get 60 days, be sure to put the visa number on your entry card and check before you leave the officer, as they have been know to mistakenly given people only 15 days when they should have gotten 60 days

hello just a thought do please remember at mae sai they do still ask you to show monies when coming back into thailand for a tourist visa its 10,000 bahts for a non immgrant o multi entry its 20,000

this border crossing is the only one that wants to see you have cash monies to use during the time of the extension not credit card,s bank book money only other other point when crossing over to the burma side you will notice many people watching the foreign tourists well any foreinger why? because they know all will have cash with them .

we visited maesai yesterday 04 Feb with a friend doing his first visa multi entry run he was asked to show his funds the officer was waiting my friend looked in his big bag took his time the question being repeated twice then oh yes here you are my 20,000 in cash he was stamped in for his second 3 months stay so dont take a chance make sure you have funds ok

One's general appearance does make a difference in this domain since the Thai's tend to focus on 'form'.....so if you are smiling you must be happy. thumbsup.gif

I make regular trips to Mae Sai and have never been asked to show money. Perhaps as a precaution just carry extra travelers checks with you. Don't be the fool carrying 20,000 baht around in your pocket. That particular immigration official may be in business with the local pick pocket.whistling.gif

What visa expires March 5? Do you have a two entry tourist visa and have only used one entry? You can use the second entry at any time up to expiration date for a new 60 day entry at any border. But you have not said what you have.

What visa expires March 5? Do you have a two entry tourist visa and have only used one entry? You can use the second entry at any time up to expiration date for a new 60 day entry at any border. But you have not said what you have.

Sorry about that. I have a 60 day tourist visa. I know I can extend for 30 days but I am staying in Chiang Rai and would prefer to just go to Mae Sai for another 60 day visa,if possible. I believe my current visa is only single entry.

Edited by morocco

You would only receive what your nationality gets as visa exempt entry in that case - for most that is 15 days. You must have an unused valid visa to obtain a visa stay with a border crossing - if your visa was single entry as most are it was used when you entered Thailand for your current stay. As said you can extend 30 days at immigration.

One's general appearance does make a difference in this domain since the Thai's tend to focus on 'form'.....so if you are smiling you must be happy. thumbsup.gif

I make regular trips to Mae Sai and have never been asked to show money. Perhaps as a precaution just carry extra travelers checks with you. Don't be the fool carrying 20,000 baht around in your pocket. That particular immigration official may be in business with the local pick pocket.whistling.gif

i had been asked once, due to my own fault. if you had been making regular trips, you probably noticed the "show the money" notice right on top on the immigration post with scribbling of "no one cares" or some sort along that line on it. yeah i pointed that to one of my mates and laugh it off and guess what . . when it was my turn, i was asked to show the moneyblink.png

If you are residing there - but if you are in another province you can use that immigration facility.

Tak Immigration 188 Moo 2 Asia Rd. Thasailuad Maesot Tak 63110

Tel/Fax : 055563000

E–mail. : [email protected]

If you are residing there - but if you are in another province you can use that immigration facility.

Tak Immigration 188 Moo 2 Asia Rd. Thasailuad Maesot Tak 63110

Tel/Fax : 055563000

E–mail. : [email protected]

Please excuse my ignorance and many questions. I have a tourist visa. I am in Chiang Rai city. I know there is an Immigration Office in Chiang Mai city that I can go do my 30 day extension. Wondering if I can do the same in Mae Sai,with out crossing the border? Your comment about "residing there" has thrown me off.

Again,thanks for trying to help.

Since there are no ATMs in Shan State and since 10,000-20,000 Baht is a lot to be carrying around (even if you did carry that much for the purpose of shopping in Tachileik, wouldn't you be expected to come back to Thailand with less?) then I would point out to the immigration officials that you accompany them to a Mae Sai based ATM for a withdrawal, should it be necessary. I doubt a genuine visitor could be refused entry and returned to Myanmar for not having enough money in their pocket in the immigration line - especially if they are sincere about showing the funds that are required for entry. A genuine visitor would not likely be at "the end of the road" with almost no money up in Mae Sai with little means of getting themselves to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai or Bangkok for an international flight out of the country.

Although you can stay in Shan State for 14 days, at some point Thai authorities would have to allow you back in at least to catch a flight as I believe getting permission to fly from Tachileik to Yangon and exiting there is difficult unless you already have a Myanmar visa in your passport. At every other neighboring country checkpoint, refusing entry to Thailand would be fine - there are plenty of ways of travelling either overland or via air from Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia to other countries without crossing into Thailand but from Myanmar the options are limited at least for the time being.