Russians Robbed In Phuket Hotels

webfact

Russians robbed in Phuket hotels

PHUKET: -- Four different groups of Russian tourists have been the victims of hotel theft in the last two weeks.

Although the incidents took place in two different hotels – Andaman Phuket Hotel in Patong and the Simplitel at Karon Beach Phuket – details of the cases are almost identical.

The money was stolen from hotel room safe boxes while the owners were on one- or two-day trips, and all the victims were clients of the same tour company – Coral Travel.

newsjs

Last weekend, the Russian tourists gathered in the lobby of the Simplitel to discuss the problem with hotel administration, tourist police volunteers and Coral Travel representatives.

The tourists were annoyed not only with the thefts, but also with their tour guides, who they said had failed to initially help them.

Viacheslav Kutikov, who stayed at the Simplitel, was sure his money had been stolen, and had not been lost when he had been outside the resort.

“I remember having left four brand new US$100 notes in the safe. But when I opened it on January 25 the cash had gone” he said.

Larisa Ivanova, also from Russia, told local Russian-language newspaper Novosti Phuketa that she had been robbed twice.

“First US $170 disappeared from my safe box. I was annoyed, but I didn’t want it to spoil my vacation, so I put the rest of the money into my bag. But after another day away from the hotel, I discovered that that cash had also been stolen”.

Another tourist, Alexander Yadovin, found US$2,000 stolen from his safe-box. He was also annoyed with his guide, who he said had failed to immediately help him.

Simplitel security and Coral representatives studied the hotel’s CCTV records, and soon realised the thief was a hotel staff member. She was fired, but avoided prosecution because of personal reasons.

Simplitel insurance covered compensation for the two groups.

The Andaman Phuket thief has not been identified yet, but the investigation is continuing.

Source: http://www.thephuket...otels-36834.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-05

So a staff member of the hotel gets done, but no charges laid for 'personal' reasons. Sounds to me like Coral Travel and Simplitel Hotel are well in cahoots, a staff member took a fall, will hide out until it blows over or start work in another hotel. This is a common sting especially in places like Bali. Hotel and tour group company send in a cohort, says the tourists will be out of the hotel between .... and here are the room numbers to go for. Hotel security is zero, and the participants are well versed in opening tourist safes (if you can call them that) in hotels. And Phuket is really the pits anyway. Surprised not more of this is happening.

• Like 1

The personal reason may have been, the Russians are stealing business from us Thais, so we'll steal from them. Karon the first to protest Russian businesses and workers... Coral Travel may be part of the problem? A link to their website here: http://www.atorus.ru...company/24.html

Do you really believe that this is the reason to make crime?

Edited by Mamboking

The personal reason may have been, the Russians are stealing business from us Thais, so we'll steal from them. Karon the first to protest Russian businesses and workers... Coral Travel may be part of the problem? A link to their website here: http://www.atorus.ru...company/24.html

So Russians are the Thai's biggest problem? Not thiefs, not tuk tuk mafia, not bribes in police and immigration?

Yes! According to the Thais here. I've never paid a bribe to immigration. The police are a different matter.

EDIT:

I guess you haven't been keeping up on the news here. There have been protests against Russians in two towns in Phuket in the past month. Here's one article: http://www.thaivisa.......s-closure/

Another: http://www.thaivisa....sian-operators/

Edited by Jimi007

I wish tourists stop to go to phuket as it seems no one can be safe in any way , traffic accident , murders , strange death in hotels , money stolen and the thief was not charges ..... there are many other better places in the world .... Thailand is good for business only , was good for tourism 20 years ago .. tourists choose other places more safe .

So I can steal from someone in Thailand and get off for "personal reasons". They seem to have very flexible laws here.

Maybe, they would be better off if there were no laws at all.Then we could all steal from each other and have the time of our lives. Instead of having a Thai Iron Lady in power we we should have a Man of steal.

>>She was fired, but avoided prosecution because of personal reasons.

How does someone that has blatantly broken the law and is caught red handed avoid prosecution for "personal reasons"? High positioned police relative, Hotel's owner relative, or related to a high ranking taxi tuk tuk mafia person?

So I can steal from someone in Thailand and get off for "personal reasons". They seem to have very flexible laws here.

Maybe, they would be better off if there were no laws at all.Then we could all steal from each other and have the time of our lives. Instead of having a Thai Iron Lady in power we we should have a Man of steal.

Very flexible or non existent if you are Thai.Now if you are falang they will make up laws to arrest you.

It seems Thai's are above the law.Probably another one of those misunderstandings they love to rely on here.

So, the insurance company and the hotel are taking the word of the Russians about how much was in the room safes, or is this the personal reason the perp is not being prosecuted? Did she hand over the cash and spoils to the police so they could verify how much the insurance company must pay the Russians?

Very flexible or non existent if you are Thai.Now if you are falang they will make up laws to arrest you.

It seems Thai's are above the law.Probably another one of those misunderstandings they love to rely on here.

Quite true. An excellent example today is the article of the Thai actor walking in the police station to admit being the assailant in the youtube video shooting and killing a man. He then walks out saying he will back at a certain date. What a mockery of justice that only a Thai could ever pull off. A farang would have been demonized and the manhunt would have been on to find and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law or at least his bank account was empty. It simply amazes me that Thailand can complain about a comedy spoof on youtube from Saturday Night Live on the implied image of Thailand as a sex haven for tourists, but it seems acceptable to show a Thai murdering another Thai.