Temple Identification

mistitikimikis

In 1962 I arrived at Don Muang for a four-hour stop on a flight from Biak to Amsterdam.

We got a little sight-seeing and were brought also to a wat which name I don't have. I have only one photo of a yak. Could somebody help me to identify the wat?

Thanks on forehand.

http://www.antoni-uni-photography.com/DUTCH-HISTORY-KLM-DUTCH-WEST/Dutch-West-New-Guinea-1949/dutch-new-guinea-mistifarang/10871712_XKRmMX#!i=2100291741&k=grXh3rf&lb=1&s=A

I don't think it's either Wat Phra Kaew or Wat Pho. The building behind the guardian statue looks newer, stylistically, than either. There are plenty of temples quite near Don Muang airport, including Wat Don Muang. The carving of the yak's face in particular doesn't look like anything I can remember seeing at either Wat Phra Kaew or Wat Pho.

At this time of year, even on a weekday Wat Pho will be quite crowded, with Thai guides offering their services near the entrance and Chinese tour guides all yelling their lungs out. Nevertheless, it's an interesting experience. The grounds are big enough that you need a map so you don't go round in circles. Other than the Reclining Buddha, which is very impressive, there a lot of chedis, halls and cloisters, murals in good condition, and stone statues everywhere. You can get a traditional massage there too.

Went to Wat Pho a year or so ago and don't recall seeing this. Now my memory is certainly not what it used to be but then did a search and at least theoretically it should show up in one photo out of the thousands online. Did not see it. So personally am not convinced it's Wat Pho. Perhaps get a list of all wats in the area and do an image search for each - it should show up sometime...

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=891&q=wat+pho+bangkok&oq=wat+pho+ban&gs_l=img.1.0.0l2j0i24l8.1069.6898.0.8595.17.15.2.0.0.0.146.1441.9j6.15.0...0.0...1ac.1.2.img.v7I2LxiFyZY

I'm pretty sure Wat Pho only has one smallish yak, mostly gold in colour, set in a niche in the mondop. You can see it on the temple's website: http://www.watpho.com/en/data/mondob.php

I believe I read at the temple exhibition in 2011 that there used to be large yak (not to be confused with the Chinese-style stone sculptures), but they are no more...

Besides the Yak, I think, the art where the roof of the building is resting on the wall is getting decisive. I cannot find that in wat Pho! In the mean time I have now "done" about eighty wats (not only for this item) and cannot find back this kind of art.

Yes, Google images should be a solution, stupidly never thought of that!

We continue, thanks for your interest and answers!