Injured American Pit Bull Terrier “Terrorizes” East Pattaya Village

Rimmer

I remember in NZ many years ago and adult male being killed by one of these on his own out on a farm. It just ripped him to bits. In the 70's in NZ there were heaps of dumb nice dogs around like afgan hounds and Irish Setters (I had one) plus lots of others harmless breeds plus dobermans. Now there are heavyset pitbull types and Staffies everywhere and yes sadly most of the owners look like there dogs

I can also remember the Afghan dog fashion in the late sixties especially when they were being driven around in a topless MG and it was difficult to tell the difference between the dog and the human from rear view. Certain breeds of dogs are in style at certain times and it looks like pit bulls & Staffys are now the fashion item to be seen with in some scenes now. What happens to these poor dogs when they get relegated to "so last Year darling " and nobody wants them. I am talking about the superficial fashion wank*rs here as i am sure there will be others who will love & care for their animals no matter what fashion dictates.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in NZ many years ago and adult male being killed by one of these on his own out on a farm. It just ripped him to bits. In the 70's in NZ there were heaps of dumb nice dogs around like afgan hounds and Irish Setters (I had one) plus lots of others harmless breeds plus dobermans. Now there are heavyset pitbull types and Staffies everywhere and yes sadly most of the owners look like there dogs

I can also remember the Afghan dog fashion in the late sixties especially when they were being driven around in a topless MG and it was difficult to tell the difference between the dog and the human from rear view. Certain breeds of dogs are in style at certain times and it looks like pit bulls & Staffys are now the fashion item to be seen with in some scenes now. What happens to these poor dogs when they get relegated to "so last Year darling " and nobody wants them. I am talking about the superficial fashion wank*rs here as i am sure there will be others who will love & care for their animals no matter what fashion dictates.

i think pits have been out of fashion for a long time and have been banned in a number of countries. for most responsible owners pit is not a joy ride of a dog, because people always complain and point fingers when they see you out with one.

The <deleted> who owned this dog should be put down at the same time,i was at the market a few weeks ago when a heavilly tatood guy was there with his wife and two kids buying one ,what a w---er!!!

If he bought a pitbull, then the moron will regret that in not a far future. Those and children do not match!

according to what source? links have already been provided to tonnes of evidence that pits are great with kids if raised properly.

Its not the dogs that are bad, but bad owners, I took in 2 abandoned pit bulls and they were great friendly dogs. that dogs wounds would have healed in a week or so. What happened to the cannot kill bit? try getting a vet to put down a dying dog, cannot Bhudda etc, but will run you up a nice bill of course.

As for attacks on humans well heres some stats, normal dogs up there by a long way

Another great bit of Pattaya's jurno work dog terrorizers village yet showed no sign of aggression when approached. do people actually buy this stuff?

The study concluded that dog attacks were most common with the following breeds:

• Labrador retrievers: 13.3%
  • Pit Bulls: 8.4%
  • German Shepherds: 7.8%
  • Rottweilers: 3.9%
  • Chows: 3.5%

Labradors????? These dogs are the best for being trained as guide dogs etc. If they are the worst dogs for attacking people, then we may as well exterminate every dog in the world so everyone can walk the streets in safety, from dogs that is.

<snip>there are a lot more Labrador retrievers kept as pets or working dogs which puts this out of proportion.

But the important thing is it is the way a dog is looked after that determines it's behavior, a dog that is tied up in a yard or roams free and has to forage for food is going to be more vicious than a well kept and trained dog.

Edited by craigt3365
removed rude section

Its not the dogs that are bad, but bad owners, I took in 2 abandoned pit bulls and they were great friendly dogs. that dogs wounds would have healed in a week or so. What happened to the cannot kill bit? try getting a vet to put down a dying dog, cannot Bhudda etc, but will run you up a nice bill of course.

As for attacks on humans well heres some stats, normal dogs up there by a long way

Another great bit of Pattaya's jurno work dog terrorizers village yet showed no sign of aggression when approached. do people actually buy this stuff?

The study concluded that dog attacks were most common with the following breeds:

Labradors????? These dogs are the best for being trained as guide dogs etc. If they are the worst dogs for attacking people, then we may as well exterminate every dog in the world so everyone can walk the streets in safety, from dogs that is.

<snip>there are a lot more Labrador retrievers kept as pets or working dogs which puts this out of proportion.

But the important thing is it is the way a dog is looked after that determines it's behavior, a dog that is tied up in a yard or roams free and has to forage for food is going to be more vicious than a well kept and trained dog.

That's true Basil B

Interesting report regarding insurance risks:

http://www.forbes.co...rs-and-renters/

Interesting research:

http://www.cdc.gov/h...dogbreeds-a.pdf

From 1979 through 1996, dog attacks resulted in more than 300 human dog bite-related fatalities

(DBRF) in the United States. Most victims were children. Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996.

Despite these limitations and concerns, the data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities.

And some good advise:

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/dog-bites/dogbite-factsheet.html

A lot of unbelievably inane arguments made by the pit bull apologists.

According to a 2011 report on dog attacks, pit bulls comprise less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population, but accounted for 71% of the attacks.

• Like 1

The &lt;deleted&gt; who owned this dog should be put down at the same time,i was at the market a few weeks ago when a heavilly tatood guy was there with his wife and two kids buying one ,what a w---er!!!

If he bought a pitbull, then the moron will regret that in not a far future. Those and children do not match!

Oh jeez, I guess they never mentioned that to the cast, crew, directors and producers of the little rascals huh?

According to a 2011 report on dog attacks, pit bulls comprise less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population, but accounted for 71% of the attacks.

Source please. Also, who funded the research - neutral party or special interest group? Do you believe everything you read?

Sure, anyone can prattle on...

According to a 2013 report on fallacies and hyperbole, Thaivisa members...

Edited by bp832

Lemoncake, I'm afraid you've backed yourself into a corner. You are a knowledgeable and conscientious dog owner. As are some other posters here. But what percentage of pitbull/shepherd/chow owners are the same calibre as you? I would venture single digit/low double digit percentage. That applies to any owner of any breed, in my experience of exposure to dog owners (not in Thailand).

An analogy: a chef's knife can be made to do creative wonders or a surgeon's scalpel can achieve life-saving wonders in the right hands. But in the wrong hands can destroy. But a knife by itself doesn't do anything until it is in human hands. A dog, on the other hand, has a mind of its own, irrespective of any training or lack of same, and can become a destructive force.

Why is it a dozen people can walk by a soi dog and not attract even a sniff. Then someone walks by and the dog leaps up and barks and threatens that person. I've seen it countless times in countless places in Thailand. The following is just an example about odds. A friend, living in Bangkok for eight years, walks by two sleeping soi dogs in the middle of a sunny day last year. One gets up and leaves, the other leaps at my friend and bites his leg from behind. Ugly leg mess and 30,000 baht rabies treatment bill. Since I was a child in my small country town, I've been chased and threatened by dogs frequently, not because of anything I did but, well, I don't know why. Odds turned bad for me that day? Poor animal control by the owner? I've also been attacked and bitten in the face by a neighbour's dog while standing in the neighbour's home where I've been a hundred times before. For no reason.

Can you guarantee that if I visit your home your pitbull will not attack me? No, I think you cannot. You are only basing that on the pitbull's previous history. What will he do tomorrow?

• Like 1

Source please. Also, who funded the research - neutral party or special interest group? Do you believe everything you read?

Sure, anyone can prattle on...

According to a 2013 report on fallacies and hyperbole, Thaivisa members...

You can prattle on or if you know how to use Google search, do a search for this -- "pit bulls accounted for 71% of the attacks" (without the quotes).

Folks generally believe what they want to believe. Satisfy yourself.

You can be the best owner in the world....your dog...today...can be the best and lovliest dog in the world...but pitbulls and children just do not mix.

The best owner in the world cannot monitor his dog and his children 24/7.

Each to their own, I would never allow my children near one, let alone own one.

I know someone that has 2....we do not go to his house.

One of the downside to these sorts of figures is that they don't give numbers of the dog breed populations compared to the total number of dog attacks, where they get their figures from.

From the statistics shown by Marstons I would surmise that labs are in greater numbers, hence top of the list. Not so much for their "aggressive" nature, but by sheer numbers.

Edit: Again, it doesn't show the number of attacks the percentage is based on

Edited by chrisinth

Lemoncake, I'm afraid you've backed yourself into a corner. You are a knowledgeable and conscientious dog owner. As are some other posters here. But what percentage of pitbull/shepherd/chow owners are the same calibre as you? I would venture single digit/low double digit percentage. That applies to any owner of any breed, in my experience of exposure to dog owners (not in Thailand).

An analogy: a chef's knife can be made to do creative wonders or a surgeon's scalpel can achieve life-saving wonders in the right hands. But in the wrong hands can destroy. But a knife by itself doesn't do anything until it is in human hands. A dog, on the other hand, has a mind of its own, irrespective of any training or lack of same, and can become a destructive force.

Why is it a dozen people can walk by a soi dog and not attract even a sniff. Then someone walks by and the dog leaps up and barks and threatens that person. I've seen it countless times in countless places in Thailand. The following is just an example about odds. A friend, living in Bangkok for eight years, walks by two sleeping soi dogs in the middle of a sunny day last year. One gets up and leaves, the other leaps at my friend and bites his leg from behind. Ugly leg mess and 30,000 baht rabies treatment bill. Since I was a child in my small country town, I've been chased and threatened by dogs frequently, not because of anything I did but, well, I don't know why. Odds turned bad for me that day? Poor animal control by the owner? I've also been attacked and bitten in the face by a neighbour's dog while standing in the neighbour's home where I've been a hundred times before. For no reason.

Can you guarantee that if I visit your home your pitbull will not attack me? No, I think you cannot. You are only basing that on the pitbull's previous history. What will he do tomorrow?

what on earth are you talking about?rolleyes.gif

Skipping most of the drivel to the end of your post....

Yes i can guarantee my pitbul will not attack you if you visit WHEN i stay home, and you do not start to to take swings.

I can also guarantee if she do not know you and you try to break in, she will pin you down but will not kill you.

However i can not guarantee that my shitzu cross will not attack and bite you all over.

One of the downside to these sorts of figures is that they don't give numbers of the dog breed populations compared to the total number of dog attacks, where they get their figures from.

From the statistics shown by Marstons I would surmise that labs are in greater numbers, hence top of the list. Not so much for their "aggressive" nature, but by sheer numbers.

Edit: Again, it doesn't show the number of attacks the percentage is based on

Thanks Chrisinth

Yes i can guarantee my pitbul will not attack you if you visit WHEN i stay home, and you do not start to to take swings.

I can also guarantee if she do not know you and you try to break in, she will pin you down but will not kill you.

However i can not guarantee that my shitzu cross will not attack and bite you all over.

Lemoncake i thought his post was reasoned and then you come back with that kind of reply.

Clearly you've lost the argument .. and a bite by a shitzu may make a kid cry but he'll live to fight another day ... the same can't be said of a stray dog you took in whom had god knows what treatment before you took it in.

You can be the best owner in the world....your dog...today...can be the best and lovliest dog in the world...but pitbulls and children just do not mix.

The best owner in the world cannot monitor his dog and his children 24/7.

Why not? The Pit Bull was the most common family dog in America for about a century. They were bred as dog killers, and good at it not because they are more powerful or have stronger bites than other large breeds, but they are more agile. They have no issues with people, unless they are trained to. I own a Pit, and a couple of small dogs, Poodles and Chihuahuas. They and the Pit are best friends, and I like the Pit watching over them when they go outside, and she drives the Soi dogs off. My girlfriend wasn't too excited when I got her, and continued for months to google for news about Pits attacking humans. Found some. She stopped it when her little daughter came to visit over her school holiday, and bonded with the Pit. More than with the cute toy dogs. Actually asked if she can take her home. My Pit is a friendly one who likes to meet and play with people. She would probably welcome a burglar with her tail waggling, and a big smile.

• Like 1

Lemoncake i thought his post was reasoned and then you come back with that kind of reply.

Clearly you've lost the argument .. and a bite by a shitzu may make a kid cry but he'll live to fight another day ... the same can't be said of a stray dog you took in whom had god knows what treatment before you took it in.

what was reasoned? comparing a knife to a dog?blink.png

or asking for guarantees my dog will not attack him if he comes over?whistling.gif

Seems him and you REALLY do not have much of a clue about dogs at all of any breed.

his post was most uninformed and most ridiculous and yours are getting close to it.

Of course the dog has a mind of it's own,just like any child. The one raised in abusive family is the more likely one to turn to crime.

Just because someone tells you so F...Off does not mean they will attack and kill you, so the soi dog barking is no different, unless of course one is stupid enough to challenge it and then complain about being bitten.

Pits do not bite to kill, but have very strong jaws and are a very strong dog, so their bites look and are much worse than a weaker smaller dog.

But if you get attacked by Shepherd, Rotti, Mastiff, Dane or any of the larger strong breeds, do you really think you will walk away with a tiny cut?!

Reading some people on here, their 'miracle" stories how they did nothing and soi dog attack them, sorry to say but its a load of BS.I am out with my dogs twice per day 7 days per week 365 days per year, walk them in the parks, streets with hundreds of soi dogs and i was never beaten just for no reason.

Just like in this case, this dog was so aggressive that when officials arrived he showed no aggression, funny that, is not it?

So how about we stick to reality and factual information instead of posting just for the sake of posting without much knowledge on the matter at allrolleyes.gif

Edited by lemoncake

Sensible countries banned pitbulls, obviously there must be a reason for it whistling.gif

Yes, there is a reason for it. Pit bulls have earned a reputation in the dog fighting world, and the dogs trained to fight, or the ones trained for security, or the ones abused are generally the ones that are involved in attacks on humans.

If the animal is trained correctly, raised in a family atmosphere and properly socialized with other animals this is rarely going to happen. Pits do make a very good family dog, very social animals which are extremely protective and loyal. Then the problem comes down to the owners if they can't meet the criteria of the training.

• Like 1

being the owner of a boxer it's a pity to see this in that list as a dangerous dog

the one i owned never would bite not even when you bite his tail (sort of say) experience have me that they protect children

on more than one occasion they can find your child with a simple question like where is .... but are like a fishstick if you want them to bring back a ball

• Like 1