F1 2013

Mosha

My Forecast for the drivers championship this year, 1) Vettel, 2) Raikonnen, 3) Rosberg,

Constructors championship, 1) Lotus, 2) Red Bull, 3) McLaren.

Oooh Saturday seems a long wait yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't somehow see Mercedes as being a really big threat as I cannot believe they would have fixed their problems from last season and made improvements to put them ahead of the main runners for this year.

David.

Maybe we should have 2 lists. Wishlist and reality prediction.

My wishlist: Räikkönen, Vettel, Button

Prediction: Vettel, Alonso, Webber

I notice, unless i am mistaken, that there is no HD channel on True this season showing F1. Back to the old fuzzy picture on Star Sports.

Speaking of TV coverage, i wonder if by some miracle they will have made some changes with regards presenters and commentators for this year. One can only hope...

It's a brave man who makes any sort of prediction at this stage of the game. Without knowing how the cars will perform, it's pretty much a blind prediction.

A more interesting and more calculable prediction to make for me would be which team mate will get the better of the other.

Alonso - Massa

Vettel - Webber

Button - Perez

Raikkonnen - Grosjean

Rosberg - Hamilton

Hulkenburg - Gutierrrez

Di-Resta - Sutil

Maldonado - Bottas

Vergne - Ricciardo

Pic - Van der Garde

Bianchi - Chilton

Some are obviously quite easy. Further down the pack it gets a bit more difficult. Some unknown quantities.

Another prediction that interests me is who will come out on top with regards the garage tottie. Was quite impressed with Maldonado's squeeze last season. Quite a cutie. Alonso's fluff was pretty easy on the eye too.

rixalex.

A little surprised at your choice of Rosberg over Hamilton although I do concur, both very good drivers but in my view Rosberg is perhaps a little more focussed than Hamilton and he is certainly not going to hold back and let Lewis steal his thunder with all the recent publicity surrounding Lewis's arrival after being in Shumachers shadow {upto a point} fame wise for 3 yrs.

I would love to see Jenson do really well this season and sure he will. some lower down the pecking order are somewhat of an unknown quantity but who knows, perhaps a new star will shine.

David.

rixalex.

A little surprised at your choice of Rosberg over Hamilton although I do concur, both very good drivers but in my view Rosberg is perhaps a little more focussed than Hamilton and he is certainly not going to hold back and let Lewis steal his thunder with all the recent publicity surrounding Lewis's arrival after being in Shumachers shadow {upto a point} fame wise for 3 yrs.

I would love to see Jenson do really well this season and sure he will. some lower down the pecking order are somewhat of an unknown quantity but who knows, perhaps a new star will shine.

David.

Hi David,

Actually with regards Rosberg / Hamilton, i think it will be neck and neck with those two. Rosberg has a little advantage in it being "his team" and Hamilton being the new comer... on the other hand, Hamilton has a little advantage in being a bit quicker. Just my opinion i hasten to add, and yet to be be proven. Wouldn't surprise me if there are only a few points between them come the end of the season.

With Button, i feel he really has to stamp his authority on the team this year. He is a former World Champ of course and has so much experience. If Perez comes in and matches what he is doing, the pressure will really be on. Personally though, i can't really see it. Perez's performances seemed to drop off last season as soon as he was named for McClaren. Not a great sign in my opinion, but who knows...

A bigger uncertainty with regards Button for me is how the car performs. They seemed to be on the edge of greatness last season, and my worry is that they didn't capitalize then, will they be able to make the one step forward that puts them on top, or will they have made one step back.

Rix.

Well I think Maclaren had the fastest car last season but other things come into play as well, bad judgement calls, inept pit stops and losing a couple of seconds is the difference between winning and an also ran. All the effort and money spent on getting the fastest car by at most, half a second a lap and then bad pit stops or bad calls spoil it.

I think Jenson has found his utopia in Maclaren and car willing will really shine and for all the experts out there that reckon Jenson is second rate just look at the stats over the last 3 yrs and compare both drivers.

Rix.

Well I think Maclaren had the fastest car last season but other things come into play as well, bad judgement calls, inept pit stops and losing a couple of seconds is the difference between winning and an also ran. All the effort and money spent on getting the fastest car by at most, half a second a lap and then bad pit stops or bad calls spoil it.

I think Jenson has found his utopia in Maclaren and car willing will really shine and for all the experts out there that reckon Jenson is second rate just look at the stats over the last 3 yrs and compare both drivers.

McClaren were certainly guilty of throwing away a lot of points last season needlessly. I don't think the team has been quite the same since Whitmarsh took over things to be honest.

As for Jenson, i don't think he is second rate but i don't think he is quite up there with the driving elite. Perhaps one's opinion on him, also comes down to personal preferences. For example, for me, i find him a little too circumspect and conservative at times in his attitude on the track. For other people, you perhaps?, you might interpret things differently and see this side of him as a positive. Playing the percentages game, much like what Prost did so well, can certainly reap long term dividends, even if it's not particularly exciting as a spectacle.

Rix.

McClaren were certainly guilty of throwing away a lot of points last season needlessly. I don't think the team has been quite the same since Whitmarsh took over things to be honest.

As for Jenson, i don't think he is second rate but i don't think he is quite up there with the driving elite. Perhaps one's opinion on him, also comes down to personal preferences. For example, for me, i find him a little too circumspect and conservative at times in his attitude on the track. For other people, you perhaps?, you might interpret things differently and see this side of him as a positive. Playing the percentages game, much like what Prost did so well, can certainly reap long term dividends, even if it's not particularly exciting as a spectacle.

rix.

Your right in your view of him in some respects, but as for playing the percentage game, isn't that what it's all about calculating ones chances, no finish no points.

Excitement for me is about winning in a car that is not the fastest and the two best examples were Seb and Fernando which in my opinion put them way ahead of any other driver with the possible exception of Kimi although I think the poor finishing position of Lewis and Jenson was the teams fault.

You know my views on Lewis and I'm sure you remember how I used to bang on about Seb when he was at Torro Rosso. For me the determining factor of ones ability is consistancy and not just the odd occassion of brilliance, after all 1 swallow does not make a summer, look at the most consistant drivers, always in the top couple of spots. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. and that is not a rascist remark posters.

• Like 1

I think the paid drivers are in the teams traditionally at the back of the grid with the slowest cars and cannot really show their possible true skills {with the odd exception prooving the rule} and with very few points scored their personal sponsors are not getting value for money with enough coverage so the cash dries up they are dropped by the team who look for another paid sacrificial lamb to keep them afloat.

This is ok as far as Bernies concerned because it keeps a full grid and without them there would only be a few teams contesting the race. Just my opinion you understand so please feel free to disagree.

David.

I agree to a point but having Carlos Slim as a buddy certainly hasn't hurt Perez's move to the sharp end of the grid

Or McLaren when your Vodafone backing endswink.png .

kartman.

I think with the reputation of success that Maclarem has there will be plenty of sponsors and who knows what will happen with fat boy slims protegee being at Maclaren, after all he is reputed to be the richest man in the world, perhaps even a possible buyout of the team.

David.

Rix.

rix.

Your right in your view of him in some respects, but as for playing the percentage game, isn't that what it's all about calculating ones chances, no finish no points.

Excitement for me is about winning in a car that is not the fastest and the two best examples were Seb and Fernando which in my opinion put them way ahead of any other driver with the possible exception of Kimi although I think the poor finishing position of Lewis and Jenson was the teams fault.

You know my views on Lewis and I'm sure you remember how I used to bang on about Seb when he was at Torro Rosso. For me the determining factor of ones ability is consistancy and not just the odd occassion of brilliance, after all 1 swallow does not make a summer, look at the most consistant drivers, always in the top couple of spots. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. and that is not a rascist remark posters.

David, i understand what you are saying, but i wasn't so much talking about the science of what makes a driver most successful, i was talking about our own personal preferences as spectators, in terms of what excites and entertains us. I have utmost admiration for the drivers who take the trickle trickle approach to the championship, and don't underestimate the skill that is required to do that, in much the same way as i used to admire Italian football teams in the 1990s, that would basically get one goal up and then primarily just protect their lead and take no chances in attack. The same of course was true for Arsenal around that time. They became known as boring boring Arsenal. People hated them because there was no excitement, and how successful they were didn't do much to win them any new fans. I guess there are similarities there with what Ferrari and Schumacher did in the 2000s, although of course that wasn't so much to do with their style of racing, but the monotony of their success.

Anyway, for me, my love of sport and what really interests me with regards it, doesn't always have to do with success. During the 80s when Steve Davis was winning just about everything for fun, all i cared about was watching Jimmy White play. He was the perennial runner up who always seemed to choke just as he got to the finishing line, but i loved him and loved the way he played. The fact that he never won the World Championship didn't matter one jot.

Edited by rixalex

rix.

I actually go along with your thinking in as much as I enjoy certain drivers, and sportsmen/women, certainly not just because they are winners because they're not all winners.

I have turned away from football after all the cheating of shirt pulling and diving so after years of being a Fulham/Wolves fan it's all finished.

David.

oilinki.

Thanks for posting, very interesting when one realises just how much work needs to be done just getting the cars to the track.

More posts like this to keep the thread open is needed after all it's all part of the excitement.

David.

For me F1 is only 20% of the races. The rest is shared between technology and live soap opera for boys :) And I love it.

It's really interesting to learn how things work in F1 teams as they have the resources and will to make most of the things perfect. This includes logistics as well.

Do you know if any of the teams have their own jets or how they do the air transfers?

Here is a list of teams and the years of their latest driver world championships and the driver who got the title. There is only 16 teams which have won the drivers world championship title.

2012 Red Bull - Vettel

2009 Brawn - Button

2008 McLaren - Halmilton

2007 Ferrari - Räikkönen

2006 Renault - Alonso

1997 Williams - Villeneuve

1995 Benetton - Schumacher

1981 Brabham - Pique

1978 Lotus - Andretti

1973 Tyrell - Steward

1969 Matra - Steward

1962 BRM - Hill

1959 Cooper - Brabham

1957 Maserati - Fangio

1955 Mercedes - Fangio

1951 Alfa Romeo - Fangio

Data collected from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers'_Champions
Please correct if I made mistakes.

rixalex, on 14 Mar 2013 - 10:34, said:

It's a brave man who makes any sort of prediction at this stage of the game. Without knowing how the cars will perform, it's pretty much a blind prediction.

A more interesting and more calculable prediction to make for me would be which team mate will get the better of the other.

Alonso - Massa

Vettel - Webber

Button - Perez

Raikkonnen - Grosjean

Rosberg - Hamilton

Hulkenburg - Gutierrrez

Di-Resta - Sutil

Maldonado - Bottas

Vergne - Ricciardo

Pic - Van der Garde

Bianchi - Chilton

Some are obviously quite easy. Further down the pack it gets a bit more difficult. Some unknown quantities.

Another prediction that interests me is who will come out on top with regards the garage tottie. Was quite impressed with Maldonado's squeeze last season. Quite a cutie. Alonso's fluff was pretty easy on the eye too.

the team mate wars is a pretty easy thing to call, all you have to do is watch out for who is making noise about beating their team mate, and then put them second

How long into the season before Slater makes us spit the coffee? My prediction is 10 minutes after the red lights go out.

slater has been fired, star sports has been acquired by Fox and will be rebranded to fox asia. No announcement on the coverage as yet.

https://twitter.com/steveslaterF1

paula says she will be around though.

truth be told i loved to hate him, he doeesn't even get it right on twitter:

Steve Slater ‏@steveslaterF1

Second big

story of day from Melbourne paddock. The name of Sebastian Vettel's new car.

Hungry Heidi, follows on from Kinky Kylie last year.

Last years car was Abbey, just plain Abbey.

he has since deleted this post i think, the <deleted>

• Like 1

I notice, unless i am mistaken, that there is no HD channel on True this season showing F1. Back to the old fuzzy picture on Star Sports.

Speaking of TV coverage, i wonder if by some miracle they will have made some changes with regards presenters and commentators for this year. One can only hope...

Not sure if i missed the channel before, or if it has only started broadcasting on my package, but happy to see that Fox Sports Channel 136 is showing F1 in HD, so no need to bother with fuzzy Channel 109!

rixalex, on 14 Mar 2013 - 10:34, said:

Alonso - Massa

Vettel - Webber

Button - Perez

Raikkonnen - Grosjean

Rosberg - Hamilton

Hulkenburg - Gutierrrez

Di-Resta - Sutil

Maldonado - Bottas

Vergne - Ricciardo

Pic - Van der Garde

Bianchi - Chilton

the team mate wars is a pretty easy thing to call, all you have to do is watch out for who is making noise about beating their team mate, and then put them second

I guess the team mate battle isn't so easy to call after all....

Excited for this season ?

Me tooooooooo :)