New Organised Harassment Scam By Police

nikkoid66

Thanks guys!

1. I'll do the medical check at local clinic on Naklua rd. Even closer than BPH from my home. Must go early enough before the cops start checking on street smile.png

2. The driving test center: will it be less crowded in the afternoon? Does anyone know their exact opening hour ? Maybe I can head there in lunch time.

Alas! I only ride motorbike to nearby markets/shops, less than 1 hour every time... But to get the license....seems so time consuming sick.gif Ah ya ya ya ya

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was there, it was packed. They put us into two groups. Those who were there early, got into the first group. Others in the second, the rest were told to come back the next day.

You're herded like cattle around the place and put through a few tests. Quite a few failed the test where you have to hit the brakes when two bars line up. Bye bye. Come back tomorrow and try again.

A few ladies were told to leave as their shorts were too short. It is a government office, so dress appropriately.

I was in the second group, got through the physical tests then took the written test. One guy with me decided to study and missed the deadline for lunch. He had to take the test after lunch. Not sure if he had enough time to also do the driving test, so might have had to come back the next day...or he failed the test as I didn't seem him for the driving test part.

I'd recommend hanging back a bit for the driving test. You have a chance to do a test run, but once started, they just run everybody through. They tend to watch the first few off, then just glance at the others as they are busy with paperwork. The hardest part was driving over an elevated section that's about 15M long or so and not fall off. It's skinny and it's the first thing you have to get through.

After the scooters, the cars do the test. What a hoot to watch.

• Like 1

I got the medical certificate this morning. Yes, indeed simple. Thanks!

Another question: For motorbike license only, must I also go to Jontiem SOI 5 for address confirmation and submit rental contract etc ?

My hub's company (Rayong) HR helped me to get a 2 year multi-entry visa. And my 90 day report was just done in this Feb (in Rayong ). Am not sure if I can save the energy of going to Jontiem.

....and.. our apt is bought under my hub's name. How can I submit apt contract !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I already arranged a motor taxi driver to take me to DL center and back using my motorbike tomorrow morning... Now suddenly comes the issue of Soi 5.. Getting a bit frustrated indeed....

I have also been victimised a few times over the years by pattaya police.

Twice for going through red lights and also a few times for no helmet. Only one of the times did I get asked for 500 baht and let me go on my way.

All the other times they have done what I find much more annoying which is give me a ticket which I have to go pay at soi 9 and then either go back to the place where the policeman has stopped me and held my bike or go to a compound where they have taken the bike back to, show them the receipt from soi 9 and then let me go again.

Whilst I don't like being victimized I do appreciate that the never seem to give me a double whammy (eg fine for No helmet + no licence or red light + no licence) and in some kind of Thai way where sometimes they have very simple solutions to things it is that make a lot of sense when you think about it, it is because they can see how drunk I am and they know the go to soi 9 and then come back again process will sober me up a bit.

Twice for going through red lights and also a few times for no helmet. Only one of the times did I get asked for 500 baht and let me go on my way.

All the other times they have done what I find much more annoying which is give me a ticket which I have to go pay at soi 9 and then either go back to the place where the policeman has stopped me and held my bike or go to a compound where they have taken the bike back to, show them the receipt from soi 9 and then let me go again.

Whilst I don't like being victimized I do appreciate that the never seem to give me a double whammy (eg fine for No helmet + no licence or red light + no licence) and in some kind of Thai way where sometimes they have very simple solutions to things it is that make a lot of sense when you think about it, it is because they can see how drunk I am and they know the go to soi 9 and then come back again process will sober me up a bit.

Ahh a high profile expat Thailand really want/need, driving drunk, no helmet , bumping red lights and no licence on top of that.

Next time you drive drunk don't do it on a Friday eh, they might trow you in jail and you will be sitting there until Monday when you can go to court.

I trust you are trying to be funny (failing miserably by the way), or else you are just the type of <deleted> that compounds the reason checkpoints/stops are on the increase around town.jerk.gif

• Like 1

Hey !

I've got my motorbike riding license yesterday cheesy.gif Thanks for all your info and advice :)))

...But it was really time/energy consuming! I started at 8:30AM and arrived home at 15:00 (did theory test for 2 times) (paid the motor taxi driver 600 baht in the end)(the milk tides hurt me like hell as I forgot to bring the pumper).......Watching that video for long hours was really unnecessary and awful. The watching room is noisy, and the font hurts eyes and makes me dizzy.. Anyway, later you will be given a brochure about traffic signs etc. I should have a nap and eat some snacks in the watching room instead of torturing my brain/ear/eyes/back/neck !

Yes, everyone can pass the theory test, if you have strong memory or a pen and paper. Because, if you fail the first time, you can read the correct answers and the questions are the same in the 2nd test!!!

No rental contrat/property certificate is needed at the license centre, only the residence paper is required.

And no marriage paper is required in immigration office for residence certificate , even though the name of the buyer is not my name w00t.gif (Wa ka ka ... I had brought all the docs like miniac, both to Soi 5 and driving license centre and worried for nothing!)

My pal came on holiday from the UK for 10 days. He has a UK (car and bike license). He wanted to rent a Scooter for the duration and I recommended he got his Thai license to ensure legality, since he does not have a valid international license, only Europe.

Long story - short. Medical done, photos done, letter of residence (he stayed with me at my house in Jomtien) done, short trip next door to regency school - license DONE!

He was able to drive legally for the duration of his holiday.

I used to get stopped before I had my Thai licence, I must have looked nervous. On the four occasions I was pulled over, I was never asked for a bath, I just popped down the station, tookmy ticket and paid the fine published on the wall. My experience is that if your not doing anything wrong, you don't get stopped.

My observations can also confirm many more Thais being pulled, searched and road side drug tested. From what I have seen foreigners tend to get stopped for wrong or no license OR no helmet.

My pal came on holiday from the UK for 10 days. He has a UK (car and bike license). He wanted to rent a Scooter for the duration and I recommended he got his Thai license to ensure legality, since he does not have a valid international license, only Europe.

Long story - short. Medical done, photos done, letter of residence (he stayed with me at my house in Jomtien) done, short trip next door to regency school - license DONE!

He was able to drive legally for the duration of his holiday.

I used to get stopped before I had my Thai licence, I must have looked nervous. On the four occasions I was pulled over, I was never asked for a bath, I just popped down the station, tookmy ticket and paid the fine published on the wall. My experience is that if your not doing anything wrong, you don't get stopped.

My observations can also confirm many more Thais being pulled, searched and road side drug tested. From what I have seen foreigners tend to get stopped for wrong or no license OR no helmet.

I disagree with your statement that if you do nothing wrong you won't get stopped. I have been stopped about 8 times since January 1st, no reasons,no infractions and no tickets were issued. Just roadblocks and these targetted farangs - mostly for checking licenses. I have noted other stops targetting Thais where searches were conducted, mostly on backroads in and around Pattaya and Jomtien.

You claim 4 previous stops but no time frame? Maybe you are not putting many kilometers on or riding in a small area?

Edited by gerry53

OK,ok,some of you have had the luck never to been demanded to give a bribe to a cop I can not dispute that.But do not jump to the conclusion that others haven`t or that everybody who has to pay is a person,who doesn`t follow the rules!! Just a couple of days ago I was stopped with my new car.The cop did not accuse me of anything,didn`t even ask to see my DL or anything else.What he did was to put his hand inside the car and demanded 100 baht..!Happened many times in my 20 years here,so do not give us the crap,that the polis in Thailand is just looking for the bad guys.They ARE the bad guys!! Rotten to the core,corrupted inside out,from top to bottom and back.Actually this was stated not long ago in a survey done to check state agencis and such,where they took the top spot.Of course,it was not formulated the way I did it.Add to this,that they themselves do not care about traffic rules when they drive,Or any other rules for that matter...My view on how to handle this is,I do not accept it,but I have to live with it...Take the bad with the good in this country. You know,"what you can not change.."

How many policemen were there at this stop?

If only one or maybe two then don't stop because it is most likely not an official stop.

On many long drives around the country you will see one police officer waving people in to the side of the road. The other officer then tells you that you were speeding and ask for 100 Baht. That is not a legal stop, it is a money maker for the police.

I used to stop at those until I got wise to the trick many years ago. Now I keep on driving.

Stops at toll booths are usually a different matter altogether and you are taken over to a table where you pay the same fine as Thai people pay. They show you the photo - if for a speeding offence.

Where there are cones in the road is also an official stop. Show the licence and away you go.

I have not yet seen an illegal stop here in Pattaya. Soi Khao Talo, for example, has about 6 officers on duty and they all give out proper paperwork unless you can negotiate differently. Yet if you do have the correct licence they look at it and wave you on.

There were more than 10 cops AND cones...Highway police are two people,without cones,do you ignore them?

Two?

Yes I drive past them they are there for tea money. I stopped paying them a long time ago. Far too often it was a case of, 'You drive quick. 100 Baht.'

Stuff that :)

I'll always stop at a proper checkpoint like I do on soi Khao Talo, for example.

• Like 1

I would say it's mostly Thai getting stopped, and they search their bikes for guns/drugs, and what i have seen it's only Thai's that have to do the road side drug test.

I did read something a week or 2 ago about a dedicated crackdown on criminals in Pattaya and the setting up of road blocks. There was one near my condo for a week and the impression from the article was not that they were targetting traffic violations but checking for drugs and guns as you say,

I would say it's mostly Thai getting stopped, and they search their bikes for guns/drugs, and what i have seen it's only Thai's that have to do the road side drug test.

Do you mean the pee test? They make them do this at the checkpoint? What if you are shy? I could be there for days, just waiting...LOL

Do you mean the pee test? They make them do this at the checkpoint? What if you are shy? I could be there for days, just waiting...LOL

Yes, the pee test, if you cant perform i guess you have to go to the hospital for blood test.

I did read something a week or 2 ago about a dedicated crackdown on criminals in Pattaya and the setting up of road blocks. There was one near my condo for a week and the impression from the article was not that they were targetting traffic violations but checking for drugs and guns as you say,

Does seem to be a lot more checkpoints in the past week. Never bothered me; looked like they were stopping mostly Thais. A farang w/ no helmet (there are always some of these idiots on the streets) is of course a magnet.

Does seem to be a lot more checkpoints in the past week. Never bothered me; looked like they were stopping mostly Thais. A farang w/ no helmet (there are always some of these idiots on the streets) is of course a magnet.

I hope you have the same high opinion of the local BIB officers riding around Jomtien and Pattaya in uniform without their helmuts on.

I hope you have the same high opinion of the local BIB officers riding around Jomtien and Pattaya in uniform without their helmuts on.

I have no opinion of them. They can do what they like and they do. Given that, I just try to stay out of their way--same as an ordinary Thai.

I was recently stopped at an official check point with about 8 police there. I was driving a new car and had a Thai drivers license and all the correct documentation. The policeman after checking all the papers asked if I had been in Thailand a long time? then asked if I ever gave money to police? I must have looked confused because he clarified it by saying "Give me money!" I checked my wallet and had mostly only thousand baht notes with two twenty's, so I offered him the 40 baht. He said "Small money, give me big money". I told him the only person who steals big money from me was my wife! He can have the small money. He then laughed, took the 40 baht and waved me on.

Can't say much about this except This Is Thailand.

I was recently stopped at an official check point with about 8 police there. I was driving a new car and had a Thai drivers license and all the correct documentation. The policeman after checking all the papers asked if I had been in Thailand a long time? then asked if I ever gave money to police? I must have looked confused because he clarified it by saying "Give me money!" I checked my wallet and had mostly only thousand baht notes with two twenty's, so I offered him the 40 baht. He said "Small money, give me big money". I told him the only person who steals big money from me was my wife! He can have the small money. He then laughed, took the 40 baht and waved me on.

A policeman intimidating people for big money?

The scumbag should be rotting in a jail.

lol

Ahh a high profile expat Thailand really want/need, driving drunk, no helmet , bumping red lights and no licence on top of that.

Next time you drive drunk don't do it on a Friday eh, they might trow you in jail and you will be sitting there until Monday when you can go to court.

i think he is joking mate hehehehehehehehe,bloody hell u are a serious bugger aint u lol lol. I tohught it was a realy good humourus post till u spoilt it lol lol,chill out man u will get a heart attack

If it bothers you, always get a ticket and keep it with you for a week. Clears you for 7 days and you can pretty much do what you want. Then get another one. When I go to Pattaya I will try to get a ticket my first day there and it covers my the rest of the time if I get stopped again, I just show it to them and they wave me on. I've never had them give me another ticket while I still had the first one.

It's their game, play by their rules. TIT, have sanook!

I kept tickets for over a year already. You get then a lecture on the 7 day rule but usually not a new ticket as you have one already.

Well done mate!

Now I feel like an arse. Never thought to keep it past the due date.