Small Businesses And The Minimum Wage.

loong

I would think that the vast majority of Thai workers work for small businesses that simply pay their workers for the time that they work, no holiday pay, social security payments or sickness benefits. No contract of employment and no tax paid.

From what I am hearing from locals who have been actively looking for work, most of these employers have totally ignored the implementation of the 300 Bt minimum wage.

Wages on offer are generally 180 to 250 Bt per day. Take it or leave it.

I realise that some small business would probably have to fold if they were forced to pay the minimum wage, so understand it to a degree.

Of course, what I am hearing is from an extremely small sample compared to the workforce nationwide and so may not be typical.

The increase in the minimum wage will obviously push up some prices.

If the poorest people are still working for the same old rate, cost of living gets more expensive and they have not received any wage increase to help compensate.

What do you hear in your area?

Mods, please do not move this. I feel that this is more suited to General than business topics.

Many business owners that I know are not paying the new rate.They feel that they would have to go out of business if they did. I already pay more than the new minimum wage, but having to hire new staff at the close to the same rate hurts the morale of the workers who have had to work their way up to it over several years.This was a blatant political stunt that will hurt more than it helps in the long run.

• Like 2