Pheu Thai ' Does Not Interfere In Surveys'

webfact

Could you explain how you come to the 'expertise is undoubtedly present' and why you think corp. cons. surveys operate on a very advanced level and why that would be relevant given the lack of credible methodology? wai.gif

I assume you have no experience in Thailand business/commerce since you would otherwise not ask this question.The quality of market research for major corporates here is first class.Thirty years ago it was very much in the hands of expatriates but there are now many excellent Thais in this field.My point which I wouldn't have thought too hard to grasp is that expertise exists in the commercial sector, using broadly the same methodology as polling organisations.While there is general scepticism about polling organisations, which I share to some extent, there are well qualified Thais who could quite easily bring political polling up to first world standards.The problem is of course money and the best people will almost always be best rewarded in the commercial sector.Incidentally I wouldn't write off ABAC etc completely.A healthy dose of scepticism is in order but the findings generally give some reasonable indications.And don't forget even reputable organisations sometimes get it spewctacularly wrong in the West, notably Gallup in the last US presidential election.

Edited by jayboy

Could you explain how you come to the 'expertise is undoubtedly present' and why you think corp. cons. surveys operate on a very advanced level and why that would be relevant given the lack of credible methodology? wai.gif

I assume you have no experience in Thailand business/commerce since you would otherwise not ask this question.The quality of market research for major corporates here is first class.Thirty years ago it was very much in the hands of expatriates but there are now many excellent Thais in this field.My point which I wouldn't have thought too hard to grasp is that expertise exists in the commercial sector, using broadly the same methodology as polling organisations.While there is general scepticism about polling organisations, which I share to some extent, there are well qualified Thais who could quite easily bring political polling up to first world standards.The problem is of course money and the best people will almost always be best rewarded in the commercial sector.Incidentally I wouldn't write off ABAC etc completely.A healthy dose of scepticism is in order but the findings generally give some reasonable indications.And don't forget even reputable organisations sometimes get it spewctacularly wrong in the West, notably Gallup in the last US presidential election.

Jayboy old chap, you do not explain. You state in a manner to suggests you write down facts which obviously even morons should have known.

If the methodology used by polling stations is faulty and (Thai) experts in the commercial sector use the same methodology then even an advanced level of operation will not help. Just being seen to use tabletPCs to touch the answer given by the public is not sufficient.

BTW no need to point to oversea polls. It was sufficient when previously you wrote "My own take is that polling organisations in Thailand may lack the professionalism and credible methodology of some other countries."

PS I fail to see the relation between polls and my alleged lack of experience in Thai business/commerce, and certainly fail to see why with that experience I wouldn't ask you to explain your view. Don't you like open-minded discussions blink.png

Jayboy old chap, you do not explain. You state in a manner to suggests you write down facts which obviously even morons should have known.

If the methodology used by polling stations is faulty and (Thai) experts in the commercial sector use the same methodology then even an advanced level of operation will not help. Just being seen to use tabletPCs to touch the answer given by the public is not sufficient.

BTW no need to point to oversea polls. It was sufficient when previously you wrote "My own take is that polling organisations in Thailand may lack the professionalism and credible methodology of some other countries."

PS I fail to see the relation between polls and my alleged lack of experience in Thai business/commerce, and certainly fail to see why with that experience I wouldn't ask you to explain your view. Don't you like open-minded discussions blink.png

It's hard work with you.My point was that in the private sector particularly in the field of market research there is expertise comparable with the best in the world.If you were familiar with the Thai corporate world you would already know this.The methodology used in commercial market research is relatively similar to that used in political polling where by general consensus standards in Thailand are not particularly high.

It's hard work with you.My point was that in the private sector particularly in the field of market research there is expertise comparable with the best in the world.If you were familiar with the Thai corporate world you would already know this.The methodology used in commercial market research is relatively similar to that used in political polling where by general consensus standards in Thailand are not particularly high.

"If you were familiar with the Thai corporate world you would already know this". Professionally I've been involved in IT and banking here in Thailand since 1994, obviously that means by now I (should) know that "in private sector particularly in the field of market research there is expertise". rolleyes.gif

Anyway, let's go back on topic with "Pheu Thai doesn't interfere in surveys" as no one in his right mind believes the results anyhow. Unless the numbers look nice and interesting enough to buy lottery tickets, of course wink.png

Edited by rubl

[

"If you were familiar with the Thai corporate world you would already know this". Professionally I've been involved in IT and banking here in Thailand since 1994, obviously that means by now I (should) know that "in private sector particularly in the field of market research there is expertise". rolleyes.gif

Anyway, let's go back on topic with "Pheu Thai doesn't interfere in surveys" as no one in his right mind believes the results anyhow. Unless the numbers look nice and interesting enough to buy lottery tickets, of course wink.png

Being an IT nerd even in banking isn't really mainstream commerce.But the banks' senior managers would understand my point since they have responsibility for credit policies (and thus need to know whether major corporates can deliver on their stated objectives).

Any high level executive in say Unilever, Shell,Sony,CP etc will know exactly what I mean.

As to people being in their right mind, we will soon know for sure whether you are correct or completely off target.

Professionally I've been involved in IT and banking here in Thailand since 1994,

Rubi mate I've told you a million times being the bloke who presses the button on the machine and hands the queue tickets to the customers as they enter the Siam Commercial Bank in Century Mall at Victory Monument is not "being involved in IT and banking" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Professionally I've been involved in IT and banking here in Thailand since 1994,

Rubi mate I've told you a million times being the bloke who presses the button on the machine and hands the queue tickets to the customers as they enter the Siam Commercial Bank in Century Mall at Victory Monument is not "being involved in IT and banking" biggrin.png

Thursday at a bank along RamaIII I personally replaced a hardware part in a somewhat older machine and got my hands dirty doing so. Does that count ?rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

[

Being an IT nerd even in banking isn't really mainstream commerce.But the banks' senior managers would understand my point since they have responsibility for credit policies (and thus need to know whether major corporates can deliver on their stated objectives).

Any high level executive in say Unilever, Shell,Sony,CP etc will know exactly what I mean.

As to people being in their right mind, we will soon know for sure whether you are correct or completely off target.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I was contemplating suicide and already listened to the M*A*S*H titlesong "suicide is painless". Luckily I was having doubts and wanted to have a final look at TV posts before biggrin.png

PS in the past I've been at FBCB, BMB, NakornThon, to name a few. No more there, but I am. Probably my misunderstanding and lack of experience with credit ratings, marketing, business sense rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl