Kids Laptops

diddums

Can anyone recommend laptops for 2 kids....specs as below..

1st kid 8yo, mostly for fun and to get to know it, how it works etc in preparation for next years school when they need one for a couple of days a week. Play games, but not online stuff and watch movies etc. Small size, but not those little mini ones.

2nd kid 11yo and needs for school full time and in prep for secondary school next year. Same for games and movies etc. Not the largest ones that are out there.

Both need to be lightweight, slimline preferred and strong, reliable, good long battery life.

Brands, models and why please ?

Not too expensive also...circa 12k for the first one and 15/20k for the second.

Edited by diddums

Dunno what solid state drives are....but no dvd drive required....they use thumbdrives

in that case you need to do some research.

Hey thanks for that...impressive.

And true. What's the point in asking for advice when your not even sure what's available. My advice is pop along to Tesco Lotus and look at the laptops there . I bought a Samsung laptop 14" screen with DVD for 9995b.

I also have a 10" net book.

Not sure where your located but highly recommend you wander around Pantip IT Plazza or Fortune IT Mall of Big C, Lotus Tesco or Power Buy if neither of the first two are handy, if your in Bangkok or similar in other cities. Just to get a feel of what is around and prices and what you think might be good for your children. For 20k you can get a resonantly good laptop these days and there certainly lower cost models around. Once you have a short list you will have more chance of getting advise on what is better than one another. But it just like buying a car there no completely right or wrong answer and we all have our likes and dislikes.

• Like 1

Mate ... in a nutshell ... laptops are the older larger style with an internal DVD and a spinning hard drive ... just like a desk top computer. 'Older style' does not mean bad .. just an 'established technology'.

Here is the (Australian) Harvey Norman website for laptops so you can have a squizzy.

Netbooks essentially are smaller, cheaper and have no 'spinning bits'. Data transfer is usually done by those 'sticks' (think you called them thumb drives?).

Here is the netbook buying guide

If buying a netbook ... the better batteries are the 6 cell ... a little heavier, but last longer.

I have a 3 cell and maybe 2 hours at best not on the mains juice.

Have a think about 'screens' as some are 'touch' screens but most aren’t.

I would love a netbook (cheap) with a backlit keyboard.

That's a start, I'm sure I missed heaps of things ... maybe 'Google' for the differences.

PS ... have a listen to the audio (the speakers). Mine are absoloute cr*ap ... though my gf's netbook is passable. I use an external speaker on mine for audio quality.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1