Water Distiller - Where To Buy

BuffaloRescue

I am looking for a water distiller similar to the ones listed on this ebay page

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=water+distiller&_sacat=0&_from=R40

For drinking water.

Im based in Chiang Mai. Id either want a local supplier or mail order from somewhere in Thailand so i dont have to pay import tax on ebay stuff.

I figure this is the way forward for a small condo. I dont want water bottles lying around. I can add mineral tablets to the water after distilled. Also i ozonate my water with portable water ozone generator, but it doesnt filter out metals etc.

Any suggestions?

Just had a look on homepros site http://www.directtoshop.com

Plenty of water filters.. but none of these are distillers.

I dont want to filter, i want to distill. Its a much better idea. How do you know these filters even work, or when to change the filters, or that replacement filters will be available in future, or that they dont contain harmful chemicals etc.

A distiller will always produce pure water and you dont need to buy replacement filters.

Just turn it on when you go to bed and in mornng have about 4 liters of water

Edited by BuffaloRescue

https://en.wikipedia...Reverse_osmosis

They are on the streets in Bangkok. The machine takes water right out of the air and filters it continuesly . I remember in the US a good machine will set you back $1200.

Always wanted one of those..thumbsup.gif

Dancer, We bought one of those for a kitchen counter, takes the water and filters the microbes out it then gives it a reverse osmosis treatment. Odd though and it is probably me but if I drank that water out fo that machine I got the runs a few days afterwards but my wife, our daughter and our 2 sevants have never had a problem. I had to go back to the 17 gallon jugs of purified water we bought from Aqua while they stuck with the filtered stuff. My doctor in Singapore said it was due to a lack of minerals in the water. What can I say, I am country boy from Virginia who grew up with country water from the mountains.

Aqua.jpg

dispenser.jpg

Edited by Thailand Bound
  • Like 1

https://en.wikipedia...Reverse_osmosis

They are on the streets in Bangkok. The machine takes water right out of the air and filters it continuesly . I remember in the US a good machine will set you back $1200.

Always wanted one of those..thumbsup.gif

Dancer, We bought one of those for a kitchen counter, takes the water and filters the microbes out it then gives it a reverse osmosis treatment. Odd though and it is probably me but if I drank that water out fo that machine I got the runs a few days afterwards but my wife, our daughter and our 2 sevants have never had a problem. I had to go back to the 17 gallon jugs of purified water we bought from Aqua while they stuck with the filtered stuff. My doctor in Singapore said it was due to a lack of minerals in the water. What can I say, I am country boy from Virginia who grew up with country water from the mountains.

Aqua.jpg

dispenser.jpg

Interesting. You farang in Thailand can drink a bit of tap water or rain water daily without getting a runner. Their body will be adjusted within days to the unknown bacteria. For the elderly days will turn into weeks.. I am still convinced this is the best method... Allow your body to familiarize and shake hands with the new bugs. Worked for me. But i understand there are exceptions to my rule.. And i am not a doctor and certainly not Dr. Google..biggrin.png

Well we are talking Indonesian water that is being filtered since I am still in Indonesia but learning here since I will be coming sooner rather than later. But the thing I forgot to mention which I should have was that I had a kidney transplant in Singapore in 2007 so I do take meds to reduce my immune system so my body does not reject my 3rd kidney and that is probably why I had the problems I did but still the water should be totally clean of everything so I really do not know, I am 56 on meds to reduce my immune system, I stick to the bottled water and the bottled Corona.

Over the past 27 years I have only lived in 2 places, BKK and Jakarta so brushing my teeth and taking a shower with the local water has never been a problem. I do remember back 28 years I and crew members were in PNG and staying at the best hotel in Port Moresby but all still had problems with that hotel water, probably something in the pipes.

• Like 1

I by all my drinking water in 20 liter jugs/bottles. Works just fine, I even feed the car battery with it and no complaints so far. smile.png

No I doubt the car battery is going to complain but I heard it does shorten the life of the battery if they replenish the water with minerals which most of the water drinking companies do.

Distilling can't be counted on to remove chemicals. It's all about the boiling point of different liquids. If the chemical has a lower boiling point (temperature) than water, it too will vaporize and then condense right back into the finished water product.

Please think about the process of making whisky (whiskey.) To simplify, the fermented mash contains water and alcohol. Off the top of my head, alcohol vaporizes at about 170 F. Water, 212 F. So, in order to distill the alcohol from the mash, the temperature of the still is run at about 175 - 180 F to "steam" off the alcohol but not the water. This is how the alcohol is removed from the mash, excluding the water. The vaporized alcohol then goes through the cooling coils and drips out as, drum roll, moonshine.

Often moonshiners distill their moonshine twice to be sure to remove all water. One more time. If they ran the still at 215 F, they'd get all of the water and all of the alcohol as a mixture, leaving only the damp solids of corn, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Distilling can't be counted on to remove chemicals. It's all about the boiling point of different liquids. If the chemical has a lower boiling point (temperature) than water, it too will vaporize and then condense right back into the finished water product.

Please think about the process of making whisky (whiskey.) To simplify, the fermented mash contains water and alcohol. Off the top of my head, alcohol vaporizes at about 170 F. Water, 212 F. So, in order to distill the alcohol from the mash, the temperature of the still is run at about 175 - 180 F to "steam" off the alcohol but not the water. This is how the alcohol is removed from the mash, excluding the water. The vaporized alcohol then goes through the cooling coils and drips out as, drum roll, moonshine.

Often moonshiners distill their moonshine twice to be sure to remove all water. One more time. If they ran the still at 215 F, they'd get all of the water and all of the alcohol as a mixture, leaving only the damp solids of corn, etc.

Electronic water distillers work like that actually. A water distiller starts at a lower temperature and all the steam at lower temperature goes through a different outlet and back into the air. When it is exactly 100 degrees that steam is collected. For example if you put wine into it.. it would boil off all the alcohol, collect the water steam as pure water and leave all the gunk behind (only water evaporates at exactly 100 degrees c). It heats up slowly to let all the impuritues boil off at less than 100 deg and never goes over 100 deg

Edited by BuffaloRescue

• 2 months later...

Hi all! I am also looking for a water distilling machines, however for industrial use. I need one machine to produce 10-15 litres per hour, another 60 litres per hour. Can't find anywhere in Thailand, seems like they do not produce them here or might be illegal like it was said above.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all! I am also looking for a water distilling machines, however for industrial use. I need one machine to produce 10-15 litres per hour, another 60 litres per hour. Can't find anywhere in Thailand, seems like they do not produce them here or might be illegal like it was said above.

if you have any success with finding the Distiller at the scales you are talking about, please let me know, & likewise I'll share what I can find, I'm researching for a few days now, thanks Good luck

I am aware of medical supply businesses that purify water in quantity with large distillers.

In Chiang Mai there is one on Suthep Road.

Incidentally distilled water can be purchased there for about 100 baht (18 or 20 liters). It's distilled and charcoal filtered.

I am guessing they purchased the unit and did not build it themselves.

if you have any success with finding the Distiller at the scales you are talking about, please let me know, & likewise I'll share what I can find, I'm researching for a few days now, thanks Good luck

FlipSide, finally I ordered the distilling machine on AliExpress (Alibaba branch) in China. Already received. Everything went up smoothly and fast.

I am aware of medical supply businesses that purify water in quantity with large distillers.

Incidentally distilled water can be purchased there for about 100 baht (18 or 20 liters). It's distilled and charcoal filtered.

If THEY say it's distilled and charcoal filtered, I'd be very suspect...

If my old high school chemistry is correct, distilled water is absolutely pure. There should be no need for any other filtration. Charcoal filtering is usually for taste, but distilled water should have no taste at all!

FlipSide, finally I ordered the distilling machine on AliExpress (Alibaba branch) in China. Already received. Everything went up smoothly and fast.

Hi rubin I would be interested in any info on your still. We use RO on our well water but a still sounds like lower maintenance issues except possibly scale in my case. The 100C bypass feature described by BR sounds interesting.

If THEY say it's distilled and charcoal filtered, I'd be very suspect...

If my old high school chemistry is correct, distilled water is absolutely pure. There should be no need for any other filtration. Charcoal filtering is usually for taste, but distilled water should have no taste at all!

True enough... I might have lost something in translation.

Anyway I have gone into the back and looked at the machine and it looked like a commercial distiller.

It's the medical supply place near the Nimmanhemin intersection and its located on south side of Suthep road.

Anybody can get a look at it and someone with better Thai could definitely collect better info.

It's pretty clean stuff as its sold for medical uses and popular with people for fish tanks etc.

I wouldn't normally consume distilled as there is fair bit of research its not so healthy for mineral issues.. For short term cleansing its pretty good though.

I wouldn't normally consume distilled as there is fair bit of research its not so healthy for mineral issues.. For short term cleansing its pretty good though.

A normal diet contains more than enough minerals in the entrained water without needing any from drinking water. For taste issues however there are many cheap remineralizing urns out there like the one we pour our RO product into.

A normal diet contains more than enough minerals in the entrained water without needing any from drinking water. For taste issues however there are many cheap remineralizing urns out there like the one we pour our RO product into.

okay I have researched this a bit.

The pure distilled water is supposed to draw minerals out of the body.

Anyway I think that is pretty good for a short term cleanse but there are warnings about longterm use. YMMV

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

and an earlier point I think the charcoal is to change the PH.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I've been doing a LOT of research these past couple of days, and it would seem that even RO filters aren't all the healthy unless you re-mineralize the water before drinking. And unless one is really careful in the maintenance of them, the system doesn't produce the nice clean water that its supposed to! I wanted to put a system under my sink, but here in Thailand I can't find enough English speaking Thais to assure me that I have the system working up to snuff. And as I'm not all that concerned about the chemicals in the water that can't be leached out by a resin filter, a .3 micron filter to take out the bacteria and parasites, then a good UV filter to deal effectively with any other critters that manage to pass through, one should be healthy enough and still have all the minerals that the body needs. This has to be cleaner than the bottled water that's delivered. Hell, I've seen sediment in the bottoms of the larger bottles many times! And who really knows how often the companies change their filter media?

Anyway I think that is pretty good for a short term cleanse but there are warnings about longterm use. YMMV

Well I guess I have a different concept of research than reading Dr Zoltans news letter, but to each his own.

The only things that draw minerals out of the body are functioning kidneys and sweat.

Charcoal, at least in its activated state, will adsorb organic stuff but not change the pH.

In any case, RO or distillation are the only 2 methods that can assure safe (and healthy) drinking water.

Well I guess I have a different concept of research than reading Dr Zoltans news letter, but to each his own.

The only things that draw minerals out of the body are functioning kidneys and sweat.

Charcoal, at least in its activated state, will adsorb organic stuff but not change the pH.

In any case, RO or distillation are the only 2 methods that can assure safe (and healthy) drinking water.

well sorry I didn't include more reputable sources

Here is a better one

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

I am with you on RO being a good choice. A quality RO setup.

Yeah you seem to be right PH does not change with charcoal. interesting