Which Kind Of Real World Download Speed With Adsl?

Kf6vci

What about TOT ADSL?

Any info please would be appreciated!

I went down at TOT a few months ago and in the first they said yes, after that when I came with all the papers and details they said "high-speed is coming soon", the ugly thing was that there were at least 5 farangs waiting for the "coming soon" high-s[eed service from TOT for months and they were pretty angry, they told me that this is just a scheme to get me to apply for their telephone services, I've actually seen a post in one of the local newspapers about farangs waiting for their "coming soon" internet services...I remeber that they made a real theatre, they told me that the boss himself is assuring me that the high-speed can be installed, but as soon as I said yes, the "right now" turned into "coming soon", I just started smiling and I left...:o

We were discussing last week. Well I booked TOT for tomorow to hook up ADSL bought the modem 1900 baht, they rang today an hour ago coached me over the phone and man I really notice the difference it's near instant!

Technician gave me his mobile number! Ring if a problem.

Is it to good to be true?

Touch wood

As I mentioned earlier, I have the TOT ADSL set up, and am getting pretty good speeds with it. I have the 1024/512 kbps package for 1,000 baht/month (still haven't got a bill for the service either :o )

Had some minor hiccups getting it all set up in the beginning (1st applied in 3rd week of Nov 2005, finally on the net 3rd week of Jan 06). Some of that was simple miscommunication, and their ADSL set-up pamphlet was missing a critical bit of info. Eventually got it sorted out over the phone).

In the 6+ weeks since then, I think there's only been 2 occassions where there was a problem with the connection. In both cases the problem didn't last long.

Whenever I check the speeds, it seems I'm averaging around 800 kbps download and 400 kbps upload.

Haven't tried any other service, and would only use a dial-up :D if nothing else was available. I think I'd look into getting a satellite connection before considering a dial-up.

Carefull with what you say Kerryd :D

I'm currently on dial-up for a very short time ( between two adsl connections) and I have to say I'm happily surprised!

A lot slower then ADSL but it's usable, especially the TV forum keeps coming in solid.

Obviously not doing any downloads at the moment...

So in short, at the current state the iPSTAR system is in, dial-up is a lot better then the sattelite!!!

I have internet whenever i need it, not when the iPSTAR gateway decides to let people have another half hour of access :o

We were discussing last week. Well I booked TOT for tomorow to hook up ADSL bought the modem 1900 baht, they rang today an hour ago coached me over the phone and man I really notice the difference it's near instant!

Technician gave me his mobile number! Ring if a problem.

Is it to good to be true?

Touch wood

You wanna tell me that you managed to get TOT High Speed in less than 48 hours? Please pm me and provide more details if you could, this is a shock for me compared with the recent experiences with TOT. Could you pm me the area you live in, maybe my location is their problem.

Thanks,

Alex

Carefull with what you say Kerryd :D

I'm currently on dial-up for a very short time ( between two adsl connections) and I have to say I'm happily surprised!

A lot slower then ADSL but it's usable, especially the TV forum keeps coming in solid.

Obviously not doing any downloads at the moment...

So in short, at the current state the iPSTAR system is in, dial-up is a lot better then the sattelite!!!

I have internet whenever i need it, not when the iPSTAR gateway decides to let people have another half hour of access :o

Hi Monty,

After the fiasco of a couple of weeks or so ago, my Ipstar has been running pretty good for about 10 days. The odd blip when it disconnected for a few seconds, but otherwise pretty satisfactory.

Today, its still on, but the bandwidth is so bad (124 kbps - can d/l at 15.51 per sec) that it is unsusable. Can't get mu email account up, can't get TV up, But it's still on - I can get Google!!

I am currently using dial up, which as you say is pretty good. However, from past experience, dial also has its momets when it just won't cut the mustard - regardles of the so- called connection speeds.

What ADSL are you changing to?

I'm not changing adsl as such, but changing location!

ADSL at the old place is cancelled, the one at the new place not yet a activated...

I'll stick with what I'm happy, so it'll stay TT&T's Maxnet@life package...

Edited by monty