Northeast U S In State Of Emergency

webfact

Northeast U.S. in state of emergency

WASHINGTON: -- Heavy snow has led to the deaths of at least five people in the north-eastern United States.

Most of the victims of the elements are elderly people who were either hit by cars on snowy roads or either involved in car accidents themselves.

newsjs

In five states along the North-East Coast, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York and New Hampshire a state of emergency has been introduced.

Due to the adverse weather conditions more than 650,000 people have been stranded with reports of the cancellation of at least 5,300 flights in the region.

Source: http://english.ruvr....e-of-emergency/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-02-10

My brother told me this morning that lots of snow in front of his walk-up in Greenwich Village in NYC . . . at least this time they still have electricity unlike during the last storm.

Excellent infrastructure for the leader of the free world!!!

Edited by Sing_Sling

My brother told me this morning that lots of snow in front of his walk-up in Greenwich Village in NYC . . . at least this time they still have electricity unlike during the last storm.

I think Manhattan area not so bad. Some areas toward Hamptons got like 25 or 30 inches. Some place just across the way in Conn. got 40 inches. I have to go to NY Tuesday. Well see.

I think the big issue was wind. Weather Channel last night was reporting hurricane force winds up and down the coast. That was taking out trees and powerlines perhaps. Big mess though considering Sandy damage still there.

We like it, lol

A "storm of the century" Happens every year. cheesy.gif

I recall a 2" snowfall in the DC area when i was in high school

school was closed for 2 days. :D. Didnt affect a thing. We still had our football game that Friday.

On a slow news day, journalist have to "enhance" anything they can find. travel delays, snowstorms, cute dogs and cat stories,

bla, bla bla.

^^ Sadly what you wrote above is simply not true ...

nemosat.jpg

A satellite image of Nemo Saturday morning around 7 a.m. EST. The amazing structure of the storm resembles a hurricane with an eye structure. This feature was also seen with Sandy last October and the ‘Perfect Storm’ of October 28, 1991. However, in Nemo’s case this was a pure winter storm, not a hybrid tropical cum extra-tropical storm like Sandy and the 1991 event although there have been other winter storms in the past that also displayed a similar ‘eye’ structure. Photo from NASA

Winter Storm ‘Nemo’: A Historical Perspective

Winter storm ‘Nemo’ (as The Weather Channel’ has designated it), winded up this Saturday night although sea-effect snow showers continue to brush Cape Cod and Nantucket Island in Massachusetts. The storm was certainly among the top five to affect Southern New England and Maine and for some localities, the worst winter storm on record (going back 300 years since European inhabitants began keeping track of such things).

From the German Weather site wunderground.

Wrong assumption. Overhead power lines equal power out during heavy accumulations of snow simply because of the effect of snow and ice weighing down the power lines causing outages. Power companies have normally fast response time depending on the city to bring power back.

Wrong assumption. Overhead power lines equal power out during heavy accumulations of snow simply because of the effect of snow and ice weighing down the power lines causing outages. Power companies have normally fast response time depending on the city to bring power back.

How is this incorrect? Power lines should be underground, especially in cities . . . and I think you'd be hard-pressed defending the infrastructure in the US . . . bridges, roads and highways?

Edited by Sing_Sling

How is this incorrect? Power lines should be underground, especially in cities . . . and I think you'd be hard-pressed defending the infrastructure in the US . . . bridges, roads and highways?

The power outages in NY City (including Greenwich Village) during the hurricane were primarily due to the substations getting flooded from storm surge and blowing up transformers - not downed power lines (which have been located underground in NYC for about 100 years now).

Outside of NYC, there were a lot of downed power lines because the for-profit utility companies find it cheaper in the the short-term to have power outages when 'stuff happens'. They could care less about their customers, care more for their share holders and providing 'return on investments'. Burying power lines are an expensive infrastructure investment, and wouldn't be good for their investors in the short term. Definitely good for customers, but in America's Free Market system, why should management give a crap; its about them job creating investors!

4511170-3x2-700x467.jpg

Photo: Digging out: A woman starts to dig out her snowed-in car in Somerville, Massachusetts. (Reuters: Brian Snyder)

The north-east of the United States is dealing with the aftermath of a massive blizzard which caused at least eight deaths and paralysed the region with high winds and heavy snow.

An estimated 350,000 customers were still without power in the wake of the storm that struck a slew of states and dumped as much as three feet (1 metre) of snow across New England before battering three Canadian provinces.

The majority of the service disruptions were in hard-hit Massachusetts, where governor Deval Patrick said 250,000 people were without power.

As crews worked to clear roads and sidewalks, travel conditions in the area slowly began to pick up and return to normal.

New York area airports LaGuardia, John F Kennedy and Newark, which halted all flights during the height of the storm, resumed service on Saturday with some delays.

More Here

UG ... we were posting at the same time.

The power outages in NY City (including Greenwich Village) during the hurricane were primarily due to the substations getting flooded from storm surge and blowing up transformers - not downed power lines (which have been located underground in NYC for about 100 years now).

Outside of NYC, there were a lot of downed power lines because the for-profit utility companies find it cheaper in the the short-term to have power outages when 'stuff happens'. They could care less about their customers, care more for their share holders and providing 'return on investments'. Burying power lines are an expensive infrastructure investment, and wouldn't be good for their investors in the short term. Definitely good for customers, but in America's Free Market system, why should management give a crap; its about them job creating investors!

You're absolutely right . . . underground is more expensive and in corporate America the rate of return is paramount . . . isn't it great to have essential services in private hands!

You're absolutely right . . . underground is more expensive and in corporate America the rate of return is paramount . . . isn't it great to have essential services in private hands!

if you want some superior management and leadership, we could always make our infrastructure a branch of the US Post Office.

if you want some superior management and leadership, we could always make our infrastructure a branch of the US Post Office.

Sure . . if you want no more mail delivered . . .

No bones about it, I firmly believe that some industries/sectors of the economy should not be in private hands

I used to live in upper New York state and this kind of snowfall was common during the wintertime. What is all the fuss about?

It's not common anymore. I think when you lived there the snow accumulated, and remained on the ground for the whole winter. Now 30" fall in a single day, but melt within a week because its warmer than it used to be for most of the season.