Where Are You Going To Be Spending Songran?

beenitseenitdoneit

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was only water hey were "throwing" I wouldn't mind.

It's the stuff they add to the water .... like Diesel Fuel, Pesticide, and even (I've seen it mixed) Vomit.

What a load of nonsense (unless you are talking about your fellow farangs). rolleyes.gif Edited by Ulysses G.

You don't like Thai Festivals then piss off back to where ever you came from.

so if you dont like something in this country , your advise is to piss off back home ....so you left your country because you did not like something there,

You don't like Thai Festivals then piss off back to where ever you came from.

I quiet like Thai Festivals and would love to embrace Songkran but unfortunately it the pissed up morons that forces me to stay within the sanctuary of my own dwelling.

• Like 1

I absolutely love Loy Krathong and ensure I'm back in Thailand before that.

I absolutely loathe Songkran and ensure I'm back in Canada before that.

And I know it's not just falang who hate it. Chatting to a Thai restaurant owner a short time ago and told him I was off just before Songkran. He said he was doing the same.

I'll be well stocked up and in hibernation at my favorite most peaceful place in the Kingdom......HOME.

May make a quick trip up the nearby mountain to some cool [1,000mt] high elevation rain forest.

Agree with the OP about all the too many holidays where drunken idiots make noise and get in the way of my peaceful sanity.

Its a bit like Marmite.

Love it or hate it.

I personally love it.

I personally hate Marmite/Vegemite, but don't mind Songkran so much.

I have been to a number of Songkran's in Chiang Mai and one can stand in Central and watch the uni girls dance and get their t shirts and padded bras wet. Which is OK. I mean it could be really cool without the padding but what can you say this is Thailand and bumps instead of ... and so on. Chiang Mai is not too bad. Pattaya on the other hand is bad. Bad bar girls sneaking up on me at 10 PM and trashing me with pepper powder and water and bad male lunatics let out of the asylums on the moors to give the nurses for the criminally insane a two week vacation. I know this to be a fact as hoards of men in short skirts running in groups and mumbling some strange language sounding like my childhood nightmares of Long John Silver arrrh arrgh.

This year I will stay in my walled compound with my attack dog and enough food for both of us for 3 days.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

The guys that enjoy the nonsense are always the same lot - reliving a lost youth or never having grown up at all.

The guys that are the worst have no clue what the holiday is even about, have never seen the 3 day holiday in traditional form. Think its about fun, titties, beer and water guns. Then there are the losers that book flights (no lie) to actually go to Pattaya to be in the middle of it.

Show me a man who likes the holiday and I will show you a tourist who knows nothing of Thailand and doesn't care.

If you see fun in what has become senseless danger, you are truly lost.

This is not to discredit a bit of fun or the holiday as traditionally celebrated. Want a nice balance and good fun? Try Luang Prabang, used to be great with ceremonies, parades and boats across the river for a big party. Of course, Lao people so lovely anyway.

Loy Kratong was also finished in Pattaya a decade ago. What a lovely festival that was in Thailand. Now..few ladies dress for it. Done properly in only a few places.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

The guys that enjoy the nonsense are always the same lot - reliving a lost youth or never having grown up at all.

The guys that are the worst have no clue what the holiday is even about, have never seen the 3 day holiday in traditional form. Think its about fun, titties, beer and water guns. Then there are the losers that book flights (no lie) to actually go to Pattaya to be in the middle of it.

Show me a man who likes the holiday and I will show you a tourist who knows nothing of Thailand and doesn't care.

If you see fun in what has become senseless danger, you are truly lost.

This is not to discredit a bit of fun or the holiday as traditionally celebrated. Want a nice balance and good fun? Try Luang Prabang, used to be great with ceremonies, parades and boats across the river for a big party. Of course, Lao people so lovely anyway.

Loy Kratong was also finished in Pattaya a decade ago. What a lovely festival that was in Thailand. Now..few ladies dress for it. Done properly in only a few places.

Yeah, compare this childish idiocy to the Running of the Bulls, and it says much about the minds that "enjoy" it.

Where I lived before, Songran was celebrated one day only. Gently. A shop lady asked me if she could pour a thimble full of water on me. I consented, and we parted company with smiles.

The next wasted fat f*@k foreigner that throws a bucket of water in my face while I'm riding a motorbike in traffic, is, well, I don't want to have to defend against "premeditated, so I'll stop here.