What Do I Need To Start Making Fresh Coffee?

davejonesbkk

I have wanted to start drinking fresh coffee for a long time now and getting bored of instant. So what do I need to do this? What will the equipment cost and where can I get it? What does ground coffee cost? Is it worth doing for only 1 person and can a pot be reheated later in the day?

Edited by davejonesbkk

"What Do I Need To Start Making Fresh Coffee?"

Is this a trick question? biggrin.png

and "instant" is not coffee sick.gif

Lots of methods of making coffee. drip, percolator, espresso, or just ground some beans and steep it in hot water similar to tea.

I recommend a 4 cup drip coffee maker like the poster above.

Buy ground coffee, grounded for drip to avoid getting a coffee grinder.

If you like really strong coffee taste, get espresso roast.

If not, get french roast. if you're use to instant, get medium roast.

To make the coffee, follow the instructions on your coffee maker.

basically, fill water, fill coffee, plug in, turn on.

making coffee for 1 is no problem, just adjust the coffee and water to taste.

Make sure you take coffee of the burner as soon as its finished brewing. Coffee oxides quickly and becomes bitter and burnt tasting.

You can reheat coffee, as long as you took it off the burner quickly. I prefer to re-heat via microwave. I find it tastes less burnt and bitter using microwave reheat.

just my personal experience.

Enjoy!

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

I would get a small french press. Just add coffee and hot water, stir, let sit for a minute or so and then compress the grounds. Very good and you can make a cup at a time if you buy a small one. I have no idea where to get them in Thailand, but in the USA they sell them in Starbucks.

I would get a small french press. Just add coffee and hot water, stir, let sit for a minute or so and then compress the grounds. Very good and you can make a cup at a time if you buy a small one. I have no idea where to get them in Thailand, but in the USA they sell them in Starbucks.

Seen them in bigc one time but poor quatlity...bodum is the best,

i buy my different coffees in HK as thailand really seems over priced,

A doctor friend once told me that the french press coffee was high in colesterol but i have no idea why it should be,

This may help

http://makegoodcoffee.com/process

Ground Coffee can be bought in a lot of places like Tops, Big C and prices vary a lot

For the equipment look at Big C they even sell coffee makers (drip coffee)

Drip-Coffee-Maker-5859678XSmall.jpg

I have a coffee maker almost identical to this model. It makes great coffee. Call me a Philistine but I buy whole bean coffee at Starbucks. They'll grind it to the appropriate fineness for you.

Edited by Groongthep
  • Like 1

First it depends if you want to drink "coffee", or just some brown water.

Then it depends how many cups you drink per day.

Just bought a Nespresso machine at Central Festival.

But they have no capsules. Amazing Thailand, or whatever.

But they sell a system called "Capsul-in". (Google is your friend)

A friend brought me 1kg of coffee from Brasil. Excellent.

When it is finished I'll use the coffee I roast myself. 70 Baht/kg. Robusta directly from a farmer in Kraburi.

C

Either this map is all wrong or I would be careful no matter how good is one's taste buds when they are being offered pure Arabica in Thailand:

http://en.wikipedia....usta_arabic.svg

Map of coffee bean production: r for C. robusta, a for C.arabica, and m for both species.According to the Boncafe website, there is about 50,000-80,000 tons of Robusta coffee produced annually in Thailand and only about "a few thousand" tons of Arabica produced annually.

Edited by JLCrab

I've tried so many of the machines over the years and they all break on me, so now I prefer the simple plastic funnel Malita type that makes 2 or 3 cups at a time and always fresh.....never reheated. The paper filters can cost a bit, but I discovered that they can be rinsed , dried and reused as many as 5 times.....call me a cheap charlie, but I still make the best coffee around.

Source of coffee is fresh roasted mountain coffee and hand ground at home.

Edited by jaideeguy

Filter machines are good and even make instant coffee just about drinkable.

For the best espresso, which also makes cappuccino, Americano and so on, get an espresso machine. If you get one with a separate hot water spout it will also make good tea. The one stop shop for all thing coffee is Bon Cafe. They sell and service machines and sell goo 100% Arabica beans.

If you can run to the cost, get an espresso machine without a built in grinder and a separate grinder. Much of the taste of your coffee depends on the grinder.

There is nothing so good as the taste of a well made espresso based coffee.

You might find a Google search on 'barista' helpful.

This one seems to be the new kid on the block. I have one waiting for me next USA trip:

http://aerobie.com/p...s/aeropress.htm

BTW I sometimes think with some of those do it all grind the beans before each cup prowess coffee machines all that is missing is a sushi-conveyor belt type mechanism to deliver your freshly brewed cuppa to your location of choice.

413px-Ap_brew_hires.jpg

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

First it depends if you want to drink "coffee", or just some brown water.

Then it depends how many cups you drink per day.

Just bought a Nespresso machine at Central Festival.

But they have no capsules. Amazing Thailand, or whatever.

But they sell a system called "Capsul-in". (Google is your friend)

A friend brought me 1kg of coffee from Brasil. Excellent.

When it is finished I'll use the coffee I roast myself. 70 Baht/kg. Robusta directly from a farmer in Kraburi.

C

if you are going to go to all the trouble of pissing around making your own capsules, faffing about with adhesive foil and figuring out the right grind and tamp, why by a nespresso machine?

why not just buy a decent espresso machine?

cut down on the garbage and throw away nonsense and having to buy a pointless system that locks you into a limited choice of coffee or purchasing replacement capsule packs when a simple portafilter (cup on espresso machine) is already designed to do exactly that?

Edited by candypants
  • Like 2

If you got some money to spend...a Mahkonig Vario grinder is one of the best, I got one with my Rancilio Silvia expresso machine. The grind is the thing with good coffee and this one is ultimately variable for all types and purposes. Probably have to import it. I have to admit the new plunger system above looks like it will sell millions and could be the answer for here. ww.coffeeeitalia might help. Pricey though.

a cafetiere is the cheapest way and the coffee i like is bon cafe you can but ready ground for around 100B

absolutely agree. the cheapest simplest and best tasting for the moneyis a cafetiere.

bonjour_coffee_press_8.jpg

I generally dislike coffee from coffee makers in comparison.

Te make decent Americano if you use good beans but they don't make espresso. An espresso machine with a separate hot water tap will do both.Or you could top up the espresso from a kettle to make Americano.

a cafetiere is the cheapest way and the coffee i like is bon cafe you can but ready ground for around 100B

absolutely agree. the cheapest simplest and best tasting for the moneyis a cafetiere.

bonjour_coffee_press_8.jpg

I generally dislike coffee from coffee makers in comparison.

Te make decent Americano if you use good beans but they don't make espresso. An espresso machine with a separate hot water tap will do both.Or you could top up the espresso from a kettle to make Americano.

Any idea on where you can get hold of Brazilian coffee? Dying for a decent cup of coffee...

The cafetiere appears to be what we Americans call a French Press. That's what I always used in the States prior to graduating to an Espresso machine, but here have retrogressed to a French Press. It makes excellent coffee. It's available in many stores and no reason to buy the expensive European brand, the ones from China are OK and don't break. Ensure it is stainless steel pushrod & bottom spring and sieve. The tricks are:

1) Buy high quality Thai arabica -- it's mountain grown in the north usually in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai Provinces. It'a hard to be beat for flavor. If you prefer a bit more body, add about 1/3 robusta beans from the south of Thailand.

2) Ensure the grind is correct. The Press requires a very coarse grind to prevent the particles from passing through the screen and into your coffee -- coarser than drip, similar to percolator grind. The store from which you buy your coffee may or may not know the proper grind - you may need to experiment a bit so only grind small amounts such as 100gm at a time until you hit it. Expect to see some of the coffee settled on the bottom of the cup.

3) Bring your water to a boil, let it cool for a minute and then pour in some water sufficient to saturate the coffee. Then add the water to the level wanted. I find that using a mid-size one makes 2 mugs of coffee, so you can make less if wanted -- simply vary the amount of coffee to match the water. A "Thai tablespoon" and a third is fine for 2 mugs. Let the coffee "brew" for 4 minutes, then push down the lever and pour the coffee out. Clean the Press by filling 1/2 halfway with water, stirring with a fork and dumping the grounds in the garden, then a simple water wash of the Press.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

The cafetiere appears to be what we Americans call a French Press. That's what I always used in the States prior to graduating to an Espresso machine, but here have retrogressed to a French Press. It makes excellent coffee. It's available in many stores and no reason to buy the expensive European brand, the ones from China are OK and don't break. Ensure it is stainless steel pushrod & bottom spring and sieve. The tricks are:

1) Buy high quality Thai arabica -- it's mountain grown in the north usually in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai Provinces. It'a hard to be beat for flavor. If you prefer a bit more body, add about 1/3 robusta beans from the south of Thailand.

2) Ensure the grind is correct. The Press requires a very coarse grind to prevent the particles from passing through the screen and into your coffee -- coarser than drip, similar to percolator grind. The store from which you buy your coffee may or may not know the proper grind - you may need to experiment a bit so only grind small amounts such as 100gm at a time until you hit it. Expect to see some of the coffee settled on the bottom of the cup.

3) Bring your water to a boil, let it cool for a minute and then pour in some water sufficient to saturate the coffee. Then add the water to the level wanted. I find that using a mid-size one makes 2 mugs of coffee, so you can make less if wanted -- simply vary the amount of coffee to match the water. A "Thai tablespoon" and a third is fine for 2 mugs. Let the coffee "brew" for 4 minutes, then push down the lever and pour the coffee out. Clean the Press by filling 1/2 halfway with water, stirring with a fork and dumping the grounds in the garden, then a simple water wash of the Press.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Good information.

Again, though, the cafetiere is good only for Americano.