Kosher Salt ?

Boyce

I haven't ever seen any here. I actually brought a box back last time I went to the states. Here in Thailand, I have seen sea salt for sale in several different (what's the right word?) textures- from table-fine to pebble-like pieces that were much larger than kosher salt. Makro and Friendship in Pattaya usually have sea salt.

Kosher Salt is just salt with no additives such as iodine in and is a larger grain, the idea is it brings out the blood when sprinkled on meat. Calling it 'Kosher salt' is really just an American term.There's plenty of unadulterated salt availible here, just drive past the salt fields in Samut Songkhram and there's hundreds of sellers (although some are better than others), then just break it down to a good size.

Edited by theseahorse
  • Like 1

Just buy seasalt, coarse, and look on the packing what is in there.

Makro, Tops, Tesco, Big C, all have seasalt in stock now.

I always buy in Tops, Hain Seasalt, from the good old US of A.

Pure evaporated seawater, no additions.

I use sea salt. I pound it in a mortar to the consistancy that I want it just before I use it. Very high in moisture content. I live in the sticks and I buy it in plastic bags at the local ma and pa grocery.

Thanks for your kind replies,i want to use it for bacon curing, i'll look in tops next time i go.

Boyce

Funny you should mention it. that's exactly what I use it for. 2 parts brown sugar, i part salt, a lot of cracked black pepper and other dry spices as desired! Rub the prok first with honey and put in plastic bags in the fridge for 7 days.

wikipedia says......

Koshering salt, usually referred to as kosher salt in the US, is a variety of edible salt with a much larger grain size than some common table salt. Like common table salt, kosher salt consists of the chemical compound sodium chloride.

Unlike some common table salt, kosher salt typically contains no additives such as iodine, although some brands will include anticlumping agents in small amounts. Additive-free nonkosher salt is also readily available. The Salt Institute claims "Kosher salt contains no additives".[1]

it's that simple and most of what is perceived as sea salt is salt that comes from inland. I've seen the salt pans in Korat and there are some in Mae rim....just pure crude salt with no additives, iodine etc and can be bought in any small shop here in the north where they buy it to coat fish before bar b q ing......10 thb/kilo

Thanks for your kind replies,i want to use it for bacon curing, i'll look in tops next time i go.

Boyce

Funny you should mention it. that's exactly what I use it for. 2 parts brown sugar, i part salt, a lot of cracked black pepper and other dry spices as desired! Rub the prok first with honey and put in plastic bags in the fridge for 7 days.

i use the cooking salt the wf.buys on the market 10pks.for 10bht.very salty.