Diver Meets Turtle

justsignedin

Would just like to boast, proudly shout out, brag, confess that's me in the water. It's actually not rare to meet curious turtles while working on oil platforms in Thailand, but the video footage on this one is just phenomenol. Thanks Mig the ROV pilot, I owe you one.

Edited by justsignedin
  • Like 1

Looks like the turtle's in love. smile.png

Seriously, tho, I guess the camera was remotely operated from the surface? Did you have communication with them? Did they say something like 'Er... there's a large turtle coming up behind you.' Or did they just let you discover it yourself?

• Like 1

Looks like the turtle's in love. smile.png

Seriously, tho, I guess the camera was remotely operated from the surface? Did you have communication with them? Did they say something like 'Er... there's a large turtle coming up behind you.' Or did they just let you discover it yourself?

The camera was on an ROV "remote operated vehicle", it was definitely in the right place at the right time. Got speakers and mic inside the hat so comms are 2 way and open all the time.

They didn't tell me anything, probably just had a good laugh and waited to see what panned out, I only realized something wasn't quite right when I felt the turtle pushing against me, before i got in the water the ROV supposedly spotted an 8 foot shark, hence i was pretty relieved to turn round and see a turtle. Credit to my supervisor as well, he realized this could be quite amuzing and informed me that i had plenty of time.

Would just like to boast, proudly shout out, brag, confess that's me in the water. It's actually not rare to meet curious turtles while working on oil platforms in Thailand, but the video footage on this one is just phenomenol. Thanks Mig the ROV pilot, I owe you one.

That is quite the office you have there. Thanks for sharing the video, and how deep were you working there?
  • Like 1

That is quite the office you have there. Thanks for sharing the video, and how deep were you working there?

i6 meters, about 52 feet. So far offshore, and at that depth the water is crystal clear in the Gulf of Thailand.

So Oil/Gas rig platforms and marine life CAN co-exist. Great footage

That's probably a question for debate, especially when you consider the numerous oils spills by tankers, and disasters like the Deepwater Horizon.

From my own experience though, I can say that established platforms/rigs being a feature in an otherwise barren sea do attract marine life, the structures become overgrown by marine life, they become important feeding and breeding grounds. The platforms in Thailand are often frequented by fishing vessels, an obvious sign of rich pickings.