Crackdown On Traffic Offenders

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All sarcasm aside, in reality, 100 a day is a little unrealistic. Assuming they are actually at their post for 8 hours (I don't know what their shift actually is), that is one ticket approximately every 5 minutes (4.8). If they are expected to do their job properly, they would have to get the rider to stop, check their license, check their sticker or book, exchange a brief conversation with the rider and write and issue the ticket.

I guess with the usual overstaffed checkpoints, they could set up a "production line", but that is not what I would call good policing. Don't they also have some other duties in there somewhere?

100 tickets per precinct, NOT 100 tickets per officer. I've no idea how big a precinct is or how many officers there are at each one. But judging by the station near me, there must be at least 20. So that's 5 tickets each per day. I could catch over 100 and hour just by standing next to a red light.

Don't stand to close to it you might get run over by some one going the wrong way.

Yeah, rereading it, you're probably correct. I am used to a country where police officers actually work alone and don't use swarms of officers at checkpoints.

I think the problem is you come from a country where they have a police force in the true sense of the phrase.

I would like to think so anyway. Actually, in the U.S. checkpoints are illegal as they were deemed an unconstitutional infringement on the rights of the innocent individuals.

I think in the UK they're sometimes used for things like checks on heavy goods vehicles or other specific targets. Speeding is usually through mobile or static cameras. Patrol vehicles which are sometimes unmarked are used a lot. These have cameras which give evidence of violations including speed. Of course this means there's almost no opportunity for corruption and it's not just your word against the police.

I often wonder how static cameras would go here. Australian states have them at traffic lights and on highways, to check speed and also red light runners. They provide an incredible income and finance the building of new highways. The fines really hurt, and then there's the demerit points. On the Gold Coast (QLD) a battery of speed cameras have just been installed, facing away from the traffic. They take their photos as you pass through, and you'd have no idea until the mail arrives 3 days later.

The busiest intersections here in Chiang Mai have on average 4 to 5 vehicles which run through the lights until they're forced to stop by the legal green light stream. I would never try to take off too early when the light turns green! There seems to be total disregard for any laws.

They'd be unpopular with the b.i.b. here, as revenue from fines is paid directly to the state, not to tea funds.

Hopefully the next stage will be to start clearing footpaths of motorbikes for that lowest of species, the pedestrian.

Yeah, rereading it, you're probably correct. I am used to a country where police officers actually work alone and don't use swarms of officers at checkpoints.

I think the problem is you come from a country where they have a police force in the true sense of the phrase.

I would like to think so anyway. Actually, in the U.S. checkpoints are illegal as they were deemed an unconstitutional infringement on the rights of the innocent individuals.

I think in the UK they're sometimes used for things like checks on heavy goods vehicles or other specific targets. Speeding is usually through mobile or static cameras. Patrol vehicles which are sometimes unmarked are used a lot. These have cameras which give evidence of violations including speed. Of course this means there's almost no opportunity for corruption and it's not just your word against the police.

I often wonder how static cameras would go here. Australian states have them at traffic lights and on highways, to check speed and also red light runners. They provide an incredible income and finance the building of new highways. The fines really hurt, and then there's the demerit points. On the Gold Coast (QLD) a battery of speed cameras have just been installed, facing away from the traffic. They take their photos as you pass through, and you'd have no idea until the mail arrives 3 days later.

The busiest intersections here in Chiang Mai have on average 4 to 5 vehicles which run through the lights until they're forced to stop by the legal green light stream. I would never try to take off too early when the light turns green! There seems to be total disregard for any laws.

They'd be unpopular with the b.i.b. here, as revenue from fines is paid directly to the state, not to tea funds.

Hopefully the next stage will be to start clearing footpaths of motorbikes for that lowest of species, the pedestrian.

I've driven all over Australia and elsewhere - the answer to speed cameras is GPS - with the speedcam warning on - it works a treat - I've never been fined when I've driven with gps.

Edited by Card

About 12 months ago my wife got a speeding photo sent to her by registered mail. She did 112 instead of 90, somewhere expressway bang na to rama 9. So apparently these cameras are in use. Cost of ticket was 300.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At an intersection yesterday waiting for the light to change. There was a few cops in the box working the lights and another one on his bike on the side of the road. No fewer than 5 motorbikes drove down the wrong side of the road directly passing the officer and he did not even so much as stop any of them.

I am starting to wonder if Thai's know what the word "Crackdown" even means, maybe someone a long time ago told them it was the same as "dont give a dam_n"

• Like 1

Well, I have installed a car cam to automatically record all sights and sounds through my windscreen and, if necessary after a quick swivel, record all that goes on from the driver's side window. You never know when it's likely to come in handy. It's brilliant.

i was thinking of doing the same, would be really good in the case of an accident, would show quite clearly who is at fault.

Running red lights. driving on footpath offenders in Bangkok should be easy to catch . See it all the time, The disregard these people have for others is unbelieveable (Well not in Thailand I guess). I cross the pedestrian crossing on Sathorn tai by The Tisco bank and French Embassy and there are drivers who know the time change of the traffic lights in the opposite direction so they just carrying on for 3 seconds after their green has gone amber to red. and beware you can get a motorbike rushing past you just as you reach the footpath. Crazy idiots. need 1000's of baht fines for these criminals ,there are heavier fines in other provinces!

Well, I have installed a car cam to automatically record all sights and sounds through my windscreen and, if necessary after a quick swivel, record all that goes on from the driver's side window. You never know when it's likely to come in handy. It's brilliant.

Would you be so kind as to give some details about your camera. I am definitely interested in getting one. Thanks. wai2.gif

Would you be so kind as to give some details about your camera. I am definitely interested in getting one. Thanks. wai2.gif

You can get them from Fortune plaza, BKK, and also Chinatown. I guess also from most electronics malls nowadays. The one I have is called DVR and can take up to 32gb SD card and automatically saves files every 2-3 min over about 6 hours for a 32 gb card. Each file can be locked, if necessary, if u have recorded something u want to save, but the rest just get written over automatically on a completely seemless loop. The cam is powered by an internal rechargeable battery, but if u leave the plug in the cigarette lighter in your car, it powers the cam and switches it on and off as you start and stop the engine.- thus completely automatic for everyday use. It's really quite brilliant and records sound. The files are .avi and can be uploaded to a computer with the USB line. The quality is extremely good. I use it in case of an accident or polite schenanigans but also for recording anything interesting whilst touring by car on holiday. And all for about 1,400 baht. If the police realise many people are getting these things then maybe they will be more reluctant to ask for donations.