Kayak Trip Pix

koknia

Thanks. 19 days of paddling. (Around 30 kms per day.)

That is a good `mileage` for sea kayaking almost three weeks. Looking at the pics I want to be back on the water again. Well can`t gave everything. Thanks for sharing.

Respectwai.gif

Thanks. 19 days of paddling. (Around 30 kms per day.)

Where did you sleep along the way?

Thanks. We slept in Hennessy hammocks, which are mosquito proof and have a rain fly. Incredibly handy for this type of trip, all you need is a couple of trees, or whatever. We just pulled over late in the afternoon when we found a section of shoreline where we could make camp. Tents would be very hard, there isn't much space for them. The high tide claims everything. We slept at a few National Parks where we would take over the large salas and hang in there.

Edited by koknia

Wow! Epic stuff.

Was there a lot of planning involved or was the trip decided over a few beers?

Would love to hear more about your trip Koknia, like any interesting stuff that happened or anything that went wrong. Do you have any more trips planned?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Wow! Epic stuff.

Was there a lot of planning involved or was the trip decided over a few beers?

Would love to hear more about your trip Koknia, like any interesting stuff that happened or anything that went wrong. Do you have any more trips planned?

Cheers.

We had tried it a couple of years ago after months of planning, but I only made 300 kms or so to Krabi before I got sick and had to pull over.

This time we decided at the last minute. Nothing really went wrong, but we got very lucky with the weather. My paddling partner has been on the ocean his whole life, so that makes it 10X easier. The only really dangerous thing are big surf landings on steep beaches on the Ranong coast. They can be really nasty.

The main thing is having good gear, which includes a folding kayak, camping stuff, GPS & charts. It ain't cheap to get set up, but once you are, you can go anywhere. (We use Feathercraft kayaks and Lendal paddles.)

Off to the Surin Islands next week to go paddling and fishing for awhile.

Here are a couple of vids I shot,

, and
last year. Edited by koknia

Thanks again Koknia for sharing that with us.....sounds like you are living your dreams.

Good luck with your future adventures.

I would need to live about 5 life-times and have a bank balance similar to Bill Gates to do all the things I dream about......but that's another thread.

Cheers.

That sounds like a wonderful adventure. I have a good friend who is a serious ocean Kayaker and he has done many similar trips, but on Vancouver Island where we live. My butt and back get sore if I paddle too long, but I've done many one or two night trips around Vancouver Island. It is a nice balance of inshore and off shore paddling along the west coast.

That sounds like a wonderful adventure. I have a good friend who is a serious ocean Kayaker and he has done many similar trips, but on Vancouver Island where we live. My butt and back get sore if I paddle too long, but I've done many one or two night trips around Vancouver Island. It is a nice balance of inshore and off shore paddling along the west coast.

That brings back good memories for me! ... Port Renfrew area: Sombrio beach, Fairy Lake, "CowChicken" Lake ! Week end get a-ways, sometimes longer. My favorite trip every year was the trip out of Fairy Lake down the river to Port Renfrew, especially in fall, when the bears were feeding on the salmon!

Getting to leave at Fairy Lake! (shhh.... don't tell anyone it's not Thailand! ) wink.png

aCanoeonlake.JPG

My mother is from the island. I've always wanted to do some paddling out there, just haven't had the chance yet. A friend of mine does solo Juneau - Vancouver trips, so those put mine in perspective!