Going To Laos With Lao Girlfriend.

My passport will expire this year. I had to wait for 9 months before the expiry to renew my passport. This passport I need to get to renew my visa before the end of march. Once my passport comes back I will apply for my sons.

That's not strictly correct, you can renew your UK Passport at any time, you don't need to wait until 9 months before the expiry date, it's just that they will only add a maximum of 9 months to your new passport.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My passport will expire this year. I had to wait for 9 months before the expiry to renew my passport. This passport I need to get to renew my visa before the end of march. Once my passport comes back I will apply for my sons.

That's not strictly correct, you can renew your UK Passport at any time, you don't need to wait until 9 months before the expiry date, it's just that they will only add a maximum of 9 months to your new passport.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I must of misunderstood the process from the website. sad.png

If your son gets a UK passport (but has no Lao passport and is not registered in Laos) will he need a visa to enter Laos?

This I will have to look into. Maybe someone here knows the answer. I assume he would need a visa although I heard somewhere that children can travel up to a certain age without visa's.

I'm not an expert, but I've travelled to Laos with my Lao girlfriend a few times without hassle (but we don't have a kid). Admittedly I usually stay in a hotel and not at the family home with her (it's rather primitive and crowded with kids & animals). As I understand it, problems are only likely to arise if someone tips off the "authorities" that an unmarried Lao & non-Lao couple are staying together.

But hopefully someone more qualified will post soon!

That is correct according to a friend who recently married a Lao lady. One of his friends living in Vientiane got into deep shit because he left his lawfully wedded Lao wife and she sent the plods round to his new residence where they found him after dark with his new Lao girlfriend.

Hell hath no fury.......

Edited by Arkady

You already have a child with your GF. What else is there to do expect get married and make it official?

Wish it was that easy! I have heard marrying a Lao girl can cost up to 2000 dollars and I see this as a money making scam. Yes, I know it's the way it is but

I'd rather keep the 2000 dollars for my son than pay endless amounts of handouts to get a piece of paper.

You already have a child with your GF. What else is there to do expect get married and make it official?

Wish it was that easy! I have heard marrying a Lao girl can cost up to 2000 dollars and I see this as a money making scam. Yes, I know it's the way it is but

I'd rather keep the 2000 dollars for my son than pay endless amounts of handouts to get a piece of paper.

Me too. It would still be nice to hear about anyone's experience of marrying a Lao girl in Thailand.

My missus is Thai but ethnically Lao, like lots of Isaan people. We've been to Laos twice and they seem pretty relaxed about everything. Missus didn't even need a visa as she spoke Lao and she was welcomed as if she was Lao. It's a great place and the people are really nice.

So have fun but lovelaos and hgma have the best advice above IMHO.

Speaking Lao or Issarn has nothing to do with it,she is thai you say.

people usually declare that they had no sex before marriage at the police interview -

I have often wondered how a country next to Thailand could think so differently?blink.png

I remember going there for the first time about eight years ago and seeing the signs on the back of the hotel door that it was strictly illegal for anyone to be in your room unless you are married.

How did they ever get to be so prudish?

The signs are still there.The Lao's looked over the river and didn't like what they saw.

Me too. It would still be nice to hear about anyone's experience of marrying a Lao girl in Thailand.

Yes, I have thought about this. As I understand she would still have to get a letter from her embassy to state that she is single. Even then I am not sure if Laos would recognise the marriage as it took place outside of Laos.

Your right it would be nice to hear some more information on the subject.