Why Are So Many Thai's So Uneducated About Buddhism

Seismic

After 34 years of visiting and living in Thailand it still amazes me that so many thai's have so little real understanding of the religion they profess to follow.

I have often had discussions with educated Thai's who, looked aghast at me when I mentioned reincarnation and other most basic precepts of theravada buddhism. It seems to me that most lay Thai's have no real concept of the four noble truths, the eightfold path and the practice of dhamma.

I will apologise for using the word religion here, because to me, buddhism is a philosophy and not a religion, i will, however try to enunciate my question a little more plainly.

Is buddhism in Thailand taught to youngsters or just read to them, and why do they all seem to understand the positives but have no comprehension of the negatives??.

Because they grew up with the religion as a part of their daily lives. We converts usually study the teachings more and usually tend to do more practice.

Some Thais are surprised and comment that we know more than they do in an admiring way, but some feel threatened and think that because they were born Thai they must naturally know more about it than we do. Most often it is the Monks who have that latter attitude.

Although I was bought up as Catholic I have never read the bible, but Thais who convert to christianity have often read it. Same thing...

In school the Buddhism classes are often mainly stressing morals, precepts, respect for elders, teachers & monks, and encouraging merit making and following the usual rituals. They do not pay much attention to Nibbana and how to reach it, which is a pity because that is what the Buddha was mainly concerned about.

The meditation practiced is usually just Samatha and schoolkids are often just told to sit cross-legged and eyes closed and be quiet to give the teachers time to do something.

• Like 2

In my experience of village/rural life and education, vast numbers of poor rarely go beyond primary school education.

You will find, for them, poor levels of education will involve not only Dharma but education in general.

If they receive a poor/low standard of education this will include Buddhist teaching.

I think one could ask the same question of just about any country and any prominent religion.

There is always a big difference between the trappings of an organized religion and the original teachings, and pretty much everywhere it is common for people to mistake the trappings for the teachings and not to look more deeply.

• Like 2

Good replies I think.I would like to add,that any understanding of something abstract is not their cup of tea...Easier to go with the flow;just do what others do and don`t bother your brain about the reason for doing so...As someone indicated,that goes for many people over the world.Bye the way,I agree with the OP,that buddhismen is a philosophy,not a religion,but is treated as the latter.

My opinion is that we should separate 2 terms here - buddhism (Theravada buddhism in our case) as a teaching and buddhism as a church in Thailand. Then it becomes clearer, why the basic practices (alms giving, prayers (in Bali), funeral rituals) are taught to the children, along with some basic rules of thumb for everyday life, but any deeper concepts are usually left out. They might be conveyed through telling amusing tales, even some of the Jatakas - i.e. Vessantara Jataka - have been rendered into children's books with only minor educational parts kept.

On the other hand we shouldn't forget, that all written culture of Thailand up until XIX century was 95% of religious nature, with very few exceptions. But as it has been observed many times, these days in Thailand both children and adults tend to read less and less books.

• Like 1

Why pick on Buddhism?

Tend to agree. When l was a kid in UK l had to go Church Sunday school to learn stuff, it was the norm, all gone now. Bet if you asked UK kids what Christmas and Easter is about. they wouldn't have a clue. Changing world, except for one ''Religion'' who want to kill everyone. sad.png

Why pick on Buddhism?

I do not see anybody PICK ON buddhism.On the contrary,posters seem to wish,that people learned more about it and understood it better.Reason:because it would be worth the effort..

I wish they learnt more about, math, science, history, geography, etc. in schools and university, but they don't know shit about any subject you care to name.

I repeat, why pick on Buddhism?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Why pick on Buddhism?

I do not see anybody PICK ON buddhism.On the contrary,posters seem to wish,that people learned more about it and understood it better.Reason:because it would be worth the effort..

I wish they learnt more about, math, science, history, geography, etc. in schools and university, but they don't know shit about any subject you care to name.

I repeat, why pick on Buddhism?

And I repeat;Nobody is picking on Buddhism,but if that is how you read it,well,never mind... Edited by Bosse137
  • Like 1

Buddhism has been chosen as the subject of this thread....because this is the Buddhism forum; because it is the main religion in Thailand; because the OP wants to know what we think about his question.

Actually, Buddhism is far more important than math,science, history, geography, etc. because they are just knowledge about our world...not about life.

Any religion tries to give an explanation and answer to the most important questions in life....Why are we here?....and What happens when we are gone?

You could refer to different religions as different explanations or theories to these questions.Some might be completely wrong or partly right. I like to think that Buddhism has got it right....so the Dhamma is a book of rules or User Guide to life, or handbook on living.

Even an illiterate farmer needs to understand these things, even if he doesn't need History, Geography, Math or Science, so that he can live with purpose and understanding.

fabianfred:I like your post and agree with most of it.One thing though..You write,that the "OP want to know what we think of his question". I have read your post more than once,but can not find,that you have answered OPs question "why are so many Thai`s so uneducated about Buddhism?"

fabianfred:I like your post and agree with most of it.One thing though..You write,that the "OP want to know what we think of his question". I have read your post more than once,but can not find,that you have answered OPs question "why are so many Thai`s so uneducated about Buddhism?"

I think I said that the Thais learn from their parents and monks, both of which follow the common beliefs which place importance upon rites, rituals, chanting and merit-making and avoid the real practice which is meditation....talking the talk but not walking the walk...

• Like 1

Most Thais know Thai Buddhism, which is a complex of beliefs that differs from 'Buddhism' as a philosophical enquiry or academic field.

Sabaijai and fabianfred couldn’t be more correct. “Thai Buddhism” encompasses many beliefs not found in the Buddhist cannons (the Tripitaka). These beliefs have been incorporated over the centuries dating back to the earliest days of the present civilization which now makes up mainland Southeast Asia. For example, the spirit houses outside most buildings are derived from an animistic belief that every place has a Pra Phum (พระภูมิ) or spirit of that place which needs to be honored and appeased for having it's land inhabited by others. Likewise, the belief in the spiritual power (saksit or ศักดิ์สิทธิ์) of amulets, tattoos and pictures is not a true Buddhist convention. The Brahmanist figures seen at the Erawan shrine and which are included in many Thai ceremonies can probably be traced back to the ancient Khmer kingdom which once ruled this land, but have been assimilated into Thai Buddhism. Some Chinese beliefs have also been included. I have no idea where the Nang Kwok figure found in many places of business derived from but I am almost certain it is of a very non-Buddhist origin (the Mahayanan Chinese Quan Yin maybe?). If asked however, most Thais would tell you that all these things are a part of Buddhism because that is what they have been taught since childhood.

It should be mentioned however that there are many Thais who do indeed disdain these superstitious beliefs and adhere to the original teachings. The followers of the late Buddhadasa Bhikkhu are a good example. I imagine most on this forum are already familiar with the great Pra Buddhadasa but in case there are some who are not here’s a link to a short biographical article. http://www.suanmokkh...ry/teacher1.htm

Edited by Groongthep
  • Like 1

Yes, the average Thai equates Buddhism with an amalgam of organized religious rites/customs and popular beliefs/superstitions and many have never really thought about it beyond that. (Same is true of all the other "Buddhist" countries)

But there has been for some years now an awakening of interest in the original teachings and in meditation practice, and the number of Thais pursuing this, while still a minority of the population, is steadily increasing, especially in the urban middle/upper-middle class. More and more meditation centers opening and existing wats starting to offer it, courses usually full, and more and more Thai mediation teachers (interestingly, often lay people).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...