Medical Hub Must Work For Thais, Not Just Tourists

webfact

After the positive twisting of numbers to reach a conclusion desired, let's go back to reality of THAI people 'only' paying 30 Baht and getting shabby service, waiting all day in hospitals or clinics.

Anyone with money gets better treatment of course and from posts here I gather foreigners are happy.

That is just silly. Rubi come to Thailand and look. I go to a Thai government hospital. I go to clinics that Farang don't go to and I go to a private hospital that is 99% Thai. Waiting time at the last two are in minutes and the first an hour or so. Why are you talking about things you have no experience with?

My dear chap, I haven't been out of Thailand since April 2002. My last visit to a Thai general hospital was in January to get a Medical Certificate. I have no personal experience with going to a hospital when really sick, I must admit. Sorry about that rolleyes.gif

Still even in Bangkok I know enough people from lower income classes who are not impressed by the service of clinics and passing them I can see the ones near my appartment are mostly full.

Then you know there is ever only a short wait at most clinics. The better the doctor the longer the wait but for every busy clinic there are 4 slow ones close by. You also should know that employed Thais are on a different health care plan than the poor farmers and hospitals are good and the wait minimal. Teachers and all government workers are on a better health care plan than the 30 baht deal and you should know that. Speak the truth. If you hang around unemployed farmers you will get a far different experience than the average educated employed Thai person. I don't know any dirt poor farmers so I leave that to others to comment. However the people I see in Hospitals are well taken care of and with no long waits.smile.png

You talk a lot in 'you know' followed by what you seem to know and think. You also seem to spent an awfull time at hospitals, watching proceedings I guess rolleyes.gif

That is just silly. Rubi come to Thailand and look. I go to a Thai government hospital. I go to clinics that Farang don't go to and I go to a private hospital that is 99% Thai. Waiting time at the last two are in minutes and the first an hour or so. Why are you talking about things you have no experience with?

My dear chap, I haven't been out of Thailand since April 2002. My last visit to a Thai general hospital was in January to get a Medical Certificate. I have no personal experience with going to a hospital when really sick, I must admit. Sorry about that rolleyes.gif

Still even in Bangkok I know enough people from lower income classes who are not impressed by the service of clinics and passing them I can see the ones near my appartment are mostly full.

Then you know there is ever only a short wait at most clinics. The better the doctor the longer the wait but for every busy clinic there are 4 slow ones close by. You also should know that employed Thais are on a different health care plan than the poor farmers and hospitals are good and the wait minimal. Teachers and all government workers are on a better health care plan than the 30 baht deal and you should know that. Speak the truth. If you hang around unemployed farmers you will get a far different experience than the average educated employed Thai person. I don't know any dirt poor farmers so I leave that to others to comment. However the people I see in Hospitals are well taken care of and with no long waits.smile.png

You talk a lot in 'you know' followed by what you seem to know and think. You also seem to spent an awfull time at hospitals, watching proceedings I guess rolleyes.gif

What are you trying to suggest? Something bad I bet. I am old. I have been in Thailand a long time. I have some medical problems caused by exposure to agent orange among other things. Are you trying to personally insult me? You wrote, "You also seem to spent an awfull time at hospitals, watching proceedings I guess rolleyes.gif" That sounds like an insult to me. What do the other posters think? Is it an insult? Does it have anything to do with the information I posted? Most employed Thai people have medical insurance beyond the 30 baht deal. Is this news to you? I don't hang out with Thai people who are not employed.

Try and respond to my posts and not to me personally. Thailand has more than enough doctors right now and good hospitals and short waits. I have some medical problems and have found Thailand to be better then the West in treatment, costs, wait and cleanliness. That is one reason why I am here.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

What are you trying to suggest? Something bad I bet. I am old. I have been in Thailand a long time. I have some medical problems caused by exposure to agent orange among other things. Are you trying to personally insult me? You wrote, "You also seem to spent an awfull time at hospitals, watching proceedings I guess rolleyes.gif" That sounds like an insult to me. What do the other posters think? Is it an insult? Does it have anything to do with the information I posted? Most employed Thai people have medical insurance beyond the 30 baht deal. Is this news to you? I don't hang out with Thai people who are not employed.

Try and respond to my posts and not to me personally. Thailand has more than enough doctors right now and good hospitals and short waits. I have some medical problems and have found Thailand to be better then the West in treatment, costs, wait and cleanliness. That is one reason why I am here.

Calm down, old chap. I'm not insulting anyone, not even trying. Mind you, one may wonder about your "come to Thailand" followed by "Why are you talking about things you have no experience with".

I'm only objecting to you thinking followed by making conclusions out of what you think. Your post #26 is a good example of that.

BTW how much medical insurance can someone afford on THB 300 Baht/day or THB 15,000 / month ?

Calm down, old chap. I'm not insulting anyone, not even trying. Mind you, one may wonder about your "come to Thailand" followed by "Why are you talking about things you have no experience with".

I'm only objecting to you thinking followed by making conclusions out of what you think. Your post #26 is a good example of that.

BTW how much medical insurance can someone afford on THB 300 Baht/day or THB 15,000 / month ?

See you are being silly again. If you lived here you would know that insurance benefits are part of the job package. Every cop, every government worker, every teacher, every government clerk........ They all get health insurance and it is good insurance. I find it hard to believe you know anyone who is employed above a subsistence level in Thailand. For example Queen Sirikit Hospital is right across the street from a government hospital and is jammed all the time because it is part of many health insurance programs including the local teachers. The Bangkok hospital chain has numerous deals with Thai insurance companies that are part of auto worker benefits. We are not talking rich people here only factory workers.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

See you are being silly again. If you lived here you would know that insurance benefits are part of the job package. Every cop, every government worker, every teacher, every government clerk........ They all get health insurance and it is good insurance. I find it hard to believe you know anyone who is employed above a subsistence level in Thailand. For example Queen Sirikit Hospital is right across the street from a government hospital and is jammed all the time because it is part of many health insurance programs including the local teachers. The Bangkok hospital chain has numerous deals with Thai insurance companies that are part of auto worker benefits. We are not talking rich people here only factory workers.

You are insulting. I told you I live here in Bangkok (actually since 1994) and you keep on saying "if you lived here". You are therefor suggesting I"m lying.

Heath Insurance as part of a job package only applies when we're dealing with a job package. Contract workers and those on daily rates may not be covered as such. The health insurance is mostly a minimum level insurance, not a 'good insurance', as least for lower level workers.

BTW your remark "I find it hard to believe you know anyone who is employed above a subsistence level in Thailand." I consider to be another insult, even deliberately so.

Please try to stick to the topic of "Medical Hub must work for Thais, not just tourists" with a move of experienced medical personel from public to private hospitals which are only in name available to lots of Thai.

After the positive twisting of numbers to reach a conclusion desired, let's go back to reality of THAI people 'only' paying 30 Baht and getting shabby service, waiting all day in hospitals or clinics.

Anyone with money gets better treatment of course and from posts here I gather foreigners are happy.

Didn't you argue through the teeth that farmers aren't part of the unemployed?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Didn't you argue through the teeth that farmers aren't part of the unemployed?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No. Sorry you are wrong.

You are insulting. I told you I live here in Bangkok (actually since 1994) and you keep on saying "if you lived here". You are therefor suggesting I"m lying.

Heath Insurance as part of a job package only applies when we're dealing with a job package. Contract workers and those on daily rates may not be covered as such. The health insurance is mostly a minimum level insurance, not a 'good insurance', as least for lower level workers.

BTW your remark "I find it hard to believe you know anyone who is employed above a subsistence level in Thailand." I consider to be another insult, even deliberately so.

Please try to stick to the topic of "Medical Hub must work for Thais, not just tourists" with a move of experienced medical personel from public to private hospitals which are only in name available to lots of Thai.

The topic is Medical hub must work for Thais. It is working. The author did not do the research. That you or the author would not understand the basics of the Thai employment system boggles the mind. I find it difficult to believe anyone who was a long term resident of Thailand would not be better informed. But I guess anything is possible.

The topic is Medical hub must work for Thais. It is working. The author did not do the research. That you or the author would not understand the basics of the Thai employment system boggles the mind. I find it difficult to believe anyone who was a long term resident of Thailand would not be better informed. But I guess anything is possible.

After your post #26 I should have given up. I mean

"I think a lot of Thai people are like my grandfather. "

followed by lots of reasoning based on that "I think" and leading to the conclusion

"That is one doctor for every 230 people. Not too shabby and the reason you never have to wait more than 20 minutes to get treatment at a clinic"

Take care and watch your health

Regarding the topic two interesting links. One with the official point of view from the MoPH, one from the point of view of foreigners. Still searching for similar info with point of view from (ordinary) Thai.

http://www.moph.go.th/ops/thp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=176&Itemid=2

http://www.thaihealthcare.com/why-thailand-2.html

Regarding the topic two interesting links. One with the official point of view from the MoPH, one from the point of view of foreigners. Still searching for similar info with point of view from (ordinary) Thai.

http://www.moph.go.t...id=176&Itemid=2

http://www.thaihealt...thailand-2.html

Some good information there. Quote, "

Thailand has established its position as the world’s top medical tourism destination. Each year more than 1.5 million foreigners enter Thailand for medical treatment: 160,000 from North America, 300,000 from Asia, 257,000 from Europe, 152,000 from the Middle East, the rest from a wide range of other markets. In terms of percentages, about 23% are Japanese, 10% South- East Asian, 11% American, 19% European.

Affordable prices, no wait times combined with high levels of quality care in a country rich in culture, natural beauty and amazing food all make Thailand the first choice for many seeking medical treatment abroad."

Thailand has established its position as the world’s top medical tourism destination. Each year more than 1.5 million foreigners enter Thailand for medical treatment: 160,000 from North America, 300,000 from Asia, 257,000 from Europe, 152,000 from the Middle East, the rest from a wide range of other markets. In terms of percentages, about 23% are Japanese, 10% South- East Asian, 11% American, 19% European.

Affordable prices, no wait times combined with high levels of quality care in a country rich in culture, natural beauty and amazing food all make Thailand the first choice for many seeking medical treatment abroad."

Back to the OP of "Medical Hub must work for Thais, not just Tourists" may I highlight my last remark

Still searching for similar info with point of view from (ordinary) Thai.

Back to the OP of "Medical Hub must work for Thais, not just Tourists" may I highlight my last remark

Still searching for similar info with point of view from (ordinary) Thai.

My wife is an ordinary Thai. She has insurance from her company. She had a knee problem and we went to Queen Sirikit hospital which is owned and operated by the Thai Navy. They contract for health insurance with the teachers in the area and other government workers in addition to my wife's company. She pays nothing for doctor visits or medication if she goes to Queen Sirikit. We got there at about 11 AM and saw the doctor in about an hour and waited another 30 minutes for medication at the hospital pharmacy. I have also been treated at the hospital and waited twice as long and there is a big sign that says foreigners pay 50% more or something like that more than Thai people.

A few months later she had another problem and we went to the clinic close to our house at 6PM on a Friday night. 20 min wait nice lady doctor with a small lab so they do some tests in house. 300 baht for the meds and doctors time.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Not sure if you read these, but might be what you are looking for. http://maytermthailand.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/the-health-care-system-in-thailand-3-2/

http://www.gega.org.za/profiles/thai_p30.pdf

• Like 1