Lto - A Fun Day Out

Woody1

Finally got round to aquiring my Thai Driving Licences yesterday.

Thought I'd get there nice and early, and beat the hoardes, so arived there at 08.10 to see the queue already stretched across the road out front of the office and meandering nicely through the parked motorbikes, probably about 50 deep by the time I'd found somewhere to park my car (as there were no parking spaces left by this time!) and joined it. This really should have been the omen telling me to turn around and forget it, but I thought as I'd been there last week (too late in the morning for tests) and had my documents checked, my optomism got the better of me, and thought it won't be that bad. Oh, boy, was I in for a surprise!!

So, the doors opened about 08.25, and I was given ticket No 21 for the driving licence application section upstairs. I finally reached the same lady who checked my documents last week (who told me at that time everything was in order) at 09.30, she checked my photocopies of photocopies (I swear this country is responsible for half the destruction of the Amazon!!), and proceeded to tell me I had to go outside and get another 6 photocopies of various pages of work permit and my plastic UK licence. I returned some 10 minutes later with the required photocopies, and had to sign all approx 18 pages (yes, I know, I should have known this was coming), and was handed a green numbered tag in exchange for my passport, etc.

Now the fun really began, the layout of the whole building is completely illogical and dysfunctional, why on earth would you put the busiest desk in the building (for documentation checking) right in front of the doorway at the top of the stairs, right next to another desk which is handling some other type of issue with a different numbering system for queuing, and the male and female toilets directly behind them? There were bodies everywhere, with everyone in some kind of free for all, and nobody sure of where or what they were supposed to be doing or going to next.

Anyhow I figured out that a couple of groups of people ahead of me with red numbered tags were going through the reaction / colour type tests, and presumed that the green tags would be next, this was the case. When it was my turn I found that I had to stand some 12 feet from a chart with coloured circles on it and say red, yellow, or green as the instructor / examiner poked the different coloured circles with a stick. Easy enough. Then to my amazement I witnessed some of the Thais squinting trying to make out the colours, and others getting them completely wrong. You would think that this would merit a fail, but oh no, they were asked to move closer to the chart so that they could see the colours easier!!! Explains quite a bit about some of the driving tandards here!

Then went and stood fo some 30 minutes before being asked to sign a book, given some paperwork and told to pay at the counter, where I was handed a blue numbered tag, went and stood for about another 20 minutes before my number being called, a photograph taken, and my new car licence handed to me. Result, it was only 11.40, then I realized I wasn't done yet. I still had to do the multiple choice exam on the computer, and the practical riding test for my motorbike licence as I didn't a have a full motorcycle license from the UK.

Well, I had 60 minutes to answer the 30 multiple choice questions, this took me 10 minutes, without doing any kind of highway code revision (26 out of 30 correct)............but still many Thais failed the exam or ran out of time (still fail). I might add that the multiple choice exam is purely aimed at car drivers, and does not reflect motorbikes, and to say some of the questions are ridiculous would be an understatement.

After passing the multiple choice exam, I was told to be at the back of the building at 12.30 for the practical exam.

Lunch time, I was starving, I eat Thai food for lunch everyday, except Sunday's, and the Thai food served up outside the LTO is, as far as I can remember the worst I've ever had. Settled for a red chicken curry, as it was about the best looking on offer, I don't know what parts of the chicken they were, but I don't think it would normally be for human consumption!!

Arrived at the rear of the building at 12.30 as instructed, and proceeded to wait until 13.00 for the examiner to arrive (by now sweating like a rapist). An instuctor then drove around the, "course" (all 250m of it) as we watched. Now it was time to go, literally, it was like the start of a Moto GP, with all the bikes lined up in pairs as if on a starting grid, and off we went at approx 30 second intervals, in and out of 5 or 6, "slalom" tyres, along a raised bit of tarmac about 8" in width and about 20m in length, two stops at give way lines in the, "course" and hey presto, passed. Now a couple of Japanese guys failed to stop at either of the, "give ways", but this didn't seem to matter as they still passed!!

Back upstairs, pay money, queue up, have another photo taken, got bike licence, and left at 14.00.

I just thought I would share this experience (ordeal) for anyone who might be having a bad day, just to show that it can get worse. Thank God it's over for a year!

Great post. Pretty much my experience also. It's easy to get your 5 year license. But still have to drive out there. My wife did it a few weeks ago. Went in the afternoon and said it only took 20 minutes or so.

Thanks Craig. I believe too that the 5 year renewals will be easier, and in a year's time these particular memories (and the pain) should have faded.

Hi Woody1. Again thanks for your post before for the directions out there going by the lake. I also was there yesterday. Took the test same as you at 12:30 or at 1pm. Ha. Anyway I was a little nervous about the straight line thing but that all had to be the easiest test I have ever had to take as far as driving which I haven't had to do in 50 years. I think as long as you don't fall down or knock over anything you automatically pass. I noticed no one failed the test yesterday. I ended up with car license (no test as I had international) and now also have the MB license. Good feeling!

• Like 1

Woody you were fortunate Back in 2004 when I traded my auto lic. and took the motorbike test the flight sticks were about 5 meters further back. So it is hell with / to see the lineup. Now it is close. Back then they told everything in Thai No English so I had to rely on my girlfriends translation...she doesn't drive so dam_n near worthlesss on translation. It took me 6 times to pass the flightsticks. They finally allowed me to walk up to the lineup box see what they wanted. The motorcycle test , there was no walkthrough at all the Biatch just had you go in groups of 2. Again confused I stopped at the car stop sign instead of the bike sign. Why the idiots can't use stop sign is besides me. Unfortunately My girl just told me to follow the Thai girl. Big mistake. She sailed through the slolem course without going around cone. I caught my error after the first cone to late.on The balance beam you can't even remotely take your foot off the footpegs if you are a farang.

Needless to say I failed. I had to come back the next day there was a man who did the testing. He gave a short walkthrough explained in Thai. I missed the stop sign Again DOH...but he let me retest I got my licence for the bike.

Now it is easy if you remember to copy everything have about 6 copies of everything. Even the lame video you can duck out not get noticed. Besides it only stresses not to be a hothead. Nothing technical that would really be of help on a Pattaya roadway... I guess not being a hothead would help a bit.

5 years lic . a total breeze . Hey someday they may even figure it out that a playstaytion has all kinds of great reaction tests could ditch the 1942 flight sticks. hell the U.S. has not used them since that war. They use a playstation simulator. LOL

When I was there, several failed those crazy flight sticks. Even being closer, they are hard to figure out. They'd give you 2 tries. Miss. Bye bye until tomorrow. Wifey missed 2 days in a row!!!! 55555

I went off that elevated section right at the very end. Maybe 10 inches before the end. I failed. I was the first one out and they were rushing us to get going. Huge group behind me right on my butt. I was on a rented scooter, ill fitting helmet, just wasn't settled enough. Fail! Luckily, wifey jawboned the guy there for an hour until he let me pass. She kept pointing out others who fell off, but he pretended not to see them. Money was offered, but soundly refused. Which was good.

When I was there, several failed those crazy flight sticks. Even being closer, they are hard to figure out. They'd give you 2 tries. Miss. Bye bye until tomorrow. Wifey missed 2 days in a row!!!! 55555

I went off that elevated section right at the very end. Maybe 10 inches before the end. I failed. I was the first one out and they were rushing us to get going. Huge group behind me right on my butt. I was on a rented scooter, ill fitting helmet, just wasn't settled enough. Fail! Luckily, wifey jawboned the guy there for an hour until he let me pass. She kept pointing out others who fell off, but he pretended not to see them. Money was offered, but soundly refused. Which was good.

I did my test other day and thought it was me with those crazy flight sticks. I had a hard time with them also and I think the girl giving the test felt sorry for me and finally passed me after explaing a few times. As far as the driving I think they only fail you now if you fall down or knock over one of the poles. Anyway I did get the MB license. My GF told me she had to do the flight sticks again when she got her 5 year extended another 5 years. Not sure if you have to do after the 1 year for getting the 5 year.

I did my test other day and thought it was me with those crazy flight sticks. I had a hard time with them also and I think the girl giving the test felt sorry for me and finally passed me after explaing a few times. As far as the driving I think they only fail you now if you fall down or knock over one of the poles. Anyway I did get the MB license. My GF told me she had to do the flight sticks again when she got her 5 year extended another 5 years. Not sure if you have to do after the 1 year for getting the 5 year.

Yes, eye test and flight sticks for your 5 year license.

I didn't fall down, but went off that section just before the end. They failed me for that. You should have seen the other antics going on. It was like a Laurel and Hardy show. tongue.png

I renewed my second 5 year licence last year, I still had to do the eye test and the lever test and watch a video about how to drive, it was in a really hot room with about 20 Thais and most of them were asleep, the video was saying about not flashing your lights to say your coming through and also not to flash your hazards etc, I looked around the room and wanted to shout to wake them up and pay attention.

There was a Polish guy in our group going through all the tests, he was an older guy, well spoken and well dressed but he was clearly colour blind, he had no chance with the colour chart, once he had finished he was sent back to a nazi at the desk who snatched his number tag from him, found the relevant paper work and gave it back to him and waved her hand, the guy asked whats going on and she said 'your eye kaput, you have to go, you not get licence' the poor bloke was gobsmacked, he was trying to tell the lady that he'd been driving in Poland for 40 years etc etc but she just switched off, I felt really sorry for him, I love this country but the one thing that gets my back up is the driving etc.

I'll shut up now.

Just as a piece of info, when you get your 5 year licence they give you 5 years from your next birthday, I went last year around June time and my birthday is in January so I actually got 5 1/2 years - which is nice.

Jimmy

Edited by BIGJIMMY

I renewed my second 5 year licence last year, I still had to do the eye test and the lever test and watch a video about how to drive, it was in a really hot room with about 20 Thais and most of them were asleep, the video was saying about not flashing your lights to say your coming through and also not to flash your hazards etc, I looked around the room and wanted to shout to wake them up and pay attention.

There was a Polish guy in our group going through all the tests, he was an older guy, well spoken and well dressed but he was clearly colour blind, he had no chance with the colour chart, once he had finished he was sent back to a nazi at the desk who snatched his number tag from him, found the relevant paper work and gave it back to him and waved her hand, the guy asked whats going on and she said 'your eye kaput, you have to go, you not get licence' the poor bloke was gobsmacked, he was trying to tell the lady that he'd been driving in Poland for 40 years etc etc but she just switched off, I felt really sorry for him, I love this country but the one thing that gets my back up is the driving etc.

I'll shut up now.

Just as a piece of info, when you get your 5 year licence they give you 5 years from your next birthday, I went last year around June time and my birthday is in January so I actually got 5 1/2 years - which is nice.

Jimmy

Glad I started this thread, some amusing stories above! It's also comforting to know that everybody else seems to have had to endure the LTO chaos!!

BigJimmy, thanks for the tip regarding the 5yr licence, I believe that's probably the one good thing to come out of the whole farce. I've just had my birthday over the weekend, so if I'm right in thinking that I do my 5yr licence about a week after my 1yr licence expires, I should get virtually 6yrs out of the 5yr, correct?

I'll shut up now.

Jimmy

Glad I started this thread, some amusing stories above! It's also comforting to know that everybody else seems to have had to endure the LTO chaos!!

BigJimmy, thanks for the tip regarding the 5yr licence, I believe that's probably the one good thing to come out of the whole farce. I've just had my birthday over the weekend, so if I'm right in thinking that I do my 5yr licence about a week after my 1yr licence expires, I should get virtually 6yrs out of the 5yr, correct?

Correct 6 years

• Like 1

Today I got my Thai drivers license for both motorcycle and car at the Pattaya land transportation office near highway 36. I used my IDP, valid for both types of vehicles, so no road test, nor test on "rules of the road".

I arrived at 9;30 a.m., the office opened at 8:30 a.m.. Got number 142 from the machine at the base of stairs, about 5 meters in from the front door. At 10;25 a.m. my number was called to go upstairs for a documents check. Documents passed and I was given a green tag number 142. Standing room only on the second floor. Called at 11 a.m., in a group of about 20 people, to do 4 tests: colour recognition test, stop reaction test, peripheral vision test, depth vision test. Testing finished at 11:40 a.m. Waited 5 minutes to pay 360 baht. Called for photo taking at 11:50 a.m., received 2 licenses at 11:58 a.m., valid for 1 year. All done by noon!

I asked about the 5 year license from the guy who gave me the licenses. He said to come back 60 days before expiry

• Like 1

The thing that makes me laugh regarding the driving licence day out is that everyone has a different story, just by chance last night I was in one of my local bars and one of the guys had done his last week and his story was completely different from others - ha ha, the only consistency when getting your licence is that theres no consistency!!!

• 1 month later...

I have never in my life seen such bull shit for getting a licence , I didn't even get to people getting killed in video for 4hrs failed on the stupid box that was built for children to play with , I'm thinking getting thai licence is going to be harder than heavy goods licence in uk any help with getting through this will be welcome as I am fed up dodging police blocks daily ,

I have never in my life seen such bull shit for getting a licence , I didn't even get to people getting killed in video for 4hrs failed on the stupid box that was built for children to play with , I'm thinking getting thai licence is going to be harder than heavy goods licence in uk any help with getting through this will be welcome as I am fed up dodging police blocks daily ,

I'm not sure I see your problem. This is so much easier than any test in the U.K.

colour test - identify the correct colours pointed out on the chart.

reaction test - brake when you see the light.

flight sticks - toggle them until they are alongisde each other ( not so easy). This is so you can tell the difference between 2 m/c headlights and a cars headlights.

Vidoes, watch them - not that they are very useful.

take the practical test -

do not fall off the bike,

do not hit the slalom cones as you drive around them.

Stop where shown.

(Sometimes they have a beam to ride across and no feet on the floor.)

Highway code - 25 / 30 ? is the pass rate. Sit at the console and follow the simple instructions and answer ABC or D.

Passed them all? Get your 1 year licence.

Have the correct documents.

Arrive EARLY.

I have done this 3 times now (1 because my licence was more than 1 year out of date) and not failed the tests.

Okay, there can be queues and some waiting around but worth it to sail through the police roadblocks as you show your licence.

A fun day out whistling.gif

Don't agree with you on uk test being harder

I passed hgv1 first time completed it in just over 2 hrs

And I think you will find that is about hardest test you will get driving uk

But thanks for going over this test maybe I'm just having a bad day at the office

Ill be back in there in morning still not sure how to get round foot sticking to first pedal and I was not the only one that had this problem

I was just first to do it twice

But thanks for going over this test maybe I'm just having a bad day at the office

Ill be back in there in morning still not sure how to get round foot sticking to first pedal and I was not the only one that had this problem

The two tests upstairs are a bit ridiculous. I've seen many people fail them. My wife missed on 2 tries on 2 different days. So did my neighbor who is an excellent driver.

Try in the afternoon. I saw a few fail and they were in such a hurry they just ignored it. Crazy.

Plus, try not to be one of the first. I stood behind the people doing the tests so I could watch what was going on. I did it last!

• 2 weeks later...

The two tests upstairs are a bit ridiculous. I've seen many people fail them. My wife missed on 2 tries on 2 different days. So did my neighbor who is an excellent driver.

Try in the afternoon. I saw a few fail and they were in such a hurry they just ignored it. Crazy.

Plus, try not to be one of the first. I stood behind the people doing the tests so I could watch what was going on. I did it last!

I went back few days later when I was calmer

Defo not normal the part that I faild on in there wisdom they decided they were not doing that part that day for anyone

So that was thumbs up the ride round was no prob

The thiory well funny you need 25 from 30 to pass

I score 23 and pass was got going to dispute this so I payed my money and took my licence

Start to Finnish was 6hrs

Defo not normal the part that I faild on in there wisdom they decided they were not doing that part that day for anyone

I score 23 and pass was got going to dispute this so I payed my money and took my licence

I believe it is still 23 to pass. At least it was two months ago when I took.

Did my one year and five year renewal in Loei. I was in and out in four hours for my one year, including the driving test and break for lunch.

Went back the next year to get my five year and was in and out in less than two hours with my five+ year renewal.

Employees very gracious and moved me to the head of the line at every stage.

They don't get many farangs up there.whistling.gif

Edited by chuckd

I believe it is still 23 to pass. At least it was two months ago when I took.
I hear that 23get pass from few people but when you start it it is clearly on the machine 25out of30

I hope when I get renewal I don't have to do that again I think I was very lucky I was only sure on about 10 questions the rest were pure guesses ,

If anyone can tell me if that is a 1time deal on theory or if I have to do it again when renew ? So I can ready my self

One thing I will add for people not done test yet and I will do this myself if I have to do again is take little book on Highway Code I see most thai people had this book and they done computer test in 10minutes I took the 1hr

Just a little tip to maybe save having to go back again as you would have put in best part of 6 hrs at this point

Happy days