Malaysians Urged To Stay Away From Southern Thailand

webfact

Malaysians urged to stay away from southern Thailand

KOTA BARU: -- Malaysians, including residents at the Kelantan/Thai border, should temporarily stop travelling to southern Thailand following the latest insurgent attack at an army base in Narathiwat which killed 16 militants on Wednesday.

newsjs

Eighth Infantry Brigade commander Brig-Gen Datuk Mohamad Zaki Hamzah said the call was made for their safety as Malaysians regularly crossed the border. They include day-trippers.

He said security personnel on the Kelantan side of the border with Narathiwat had been told to be on alert for any illegal movements in the area.

"So far, they have not detected any illegal elements or movement trying to sneak into our country after the incident.

"However, as a precaution, it is better for Malaysians not to cross over to Thailand at the moment as we do not know what actually happened there.

"The Thai government has also imposed a curfew in the most affected provinces."

Full story: http://www.nst.com.m...ailand-1.218515

-- New Straits Times 2013-02-15

You would have thought tight security along the border and not only at checkpoints, would have been part of the program since this insurgency started. But of course one doesnt want to inconvenience cross boarder trade.blink.png

Another bit of bad publicity for the Thai tourist trade following warnings about Phuket etc by several western embassies. Of course officialdom rolls along with all is well, tourism increasing, story

A few hours later

"It is unlikely that a curfew will be imposed in Thailand’s three Muslim-dominated provinces in the far South after a preliminary feedback from most security agencies shows their confidence in handling the situation under normal circumstances, a senior official said today."

my ex gf went down there to sugnai kolok and kota baru to see family awhile ago. while she was there some family friends took her across the border in a boat so they could go shopping in malaysia. i think they paid a couple of hundred for the boat trip. she doesn't have a passport or anything. so it's obviously not difficult to do if you know the right people

• Like 1

malaysians urged to stay away from southern thailand --- forever -- sometimes being too close to an extremist islamic country (or bordering country), you could only pray to the blood shed. i blame extremist malaysian muslim.

there is a saying -- if some thai people died because of gunshot, then look for a thai buddist - if some thai people died because of bomb - then look for a thai muslim ...

A few hours later

"It is unlikely that a curfew will be imposed in Thailand’s three Muslim-dominated provinces in the far South after a preliminary feedback from most security agencies shows their confidence in handling the situation under normal circumstances, a senior official said today."

http://www.thaivisa....outh-ruled-out/

This news release is as screwed up as the Nation. I read the whole article and here is the last paragraph.

"Thai security sources said the curfew was actually an advice to the people not to come out from their houses to enable authorities to carry out their work in rooting out the remaining militants, including those injured in the incident."clap2.gif

So much for the curfew.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

malaysians urged to stay away from southern thailand --- forever -- sometimes being too close to an extremist islamic country (or bordering country), you could only pray to the blood shed. i blame extremist malaysian muslim.

there is a saying -- if some thai people died because of gunshot, then look for a thai buddist - if some thai people died because of bomb - then look for a thai muslim ...

I was trying to make sense of your post . . . but gave up.

Are you saying that 'extremist Malaysian Muslims' are to blame for the troubles? rolleyes.gif Yes, a country that prides itself on being a moderate Muslim country is, in fact, extremist.

More whacky weed, please

Are you saying that 'extremist Malaysian Muslims' are to blame for the troubles? rolleyes.gif Yes, a country that prides itself on being a moderate Muslim country is, in fact, extremist.

More whacky weed, please

hmm, my post in deed can be interpreted in many sense. Some might think "malaysian urged to stay away from southern thailand -- forever" meant that malaysian should avoid thailand for their safety .. however that's not what i meant. urging malaysian (especially muslim extremist) to stop brain washing the thai muslim. I love thailand. stop messing with the southern thai's people head.

More whacky weed, please

hmm, my post in deed can be interpreted in many sense. Some might think "malaysian urged to stay away from southern thailand -- forever" meant that malaysian should avoid thailand for their safety .. however that's not what i meant. urging malaysian (especially muslim extremist) to stop brain washing the thai muslim. I love thailand. stop messing with the southern thai's people head.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is hardly in the interest of Malaysia to have a civil war raging on its borders . . . and this ridiculous idea of Malaysia wanting to 'take back' the provinces is simply Bangkok-based propaganda - which you have swallowed hook, line and sinker.

"Stop messing with the southern Thai's <sic head"

Instead of blaming the big, bad Muslim bogeyman why don't you look at the Buddhist hierarchy and their treatment of the Muslim minority . . . and I'm not even talking about Thaksin's mass murders . . .

The root cause of the problems lies much, much closer to home in the Thailand you love

More whacky weed, please

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is hardly in the interest of Malaysia to have a civil war raging on its borders . . . and this ridiculous idea of Malaysia wanting to 'take back' the provinces is simply Bangkok-based propaganda - which you have swallowed hook, line and sinker.

"Stop messing with the southern Thai's <sic head"

Instead of blaming the big, bad Muslim bogeyman why don't you look at the Buddhist hierarchy and their treatment of the Muslim minority . . . and I'm not even talking about Thaksin's mass murders . . .

The root cause of the problems lies much, much closer to home in the Thailand you love

Can you enlighten me?

Who is the Buddhist hierarchy? Names please

What are they doing to the Muslim minority?

More whacky weed, please

Please take some time to read up on the history of the region. You can start here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattani_Kingdom

Also try to find some material on the role pattani and large parts of the south played during WW2, and how it forced thailand to change allegiance.

More whacky weed, please

Please take some time to read up on the history of the region. You can start here; http://en.wikipedia....Pattani_Kingdom

Also try to find some material on the role pattani and large parts of the south played during WW2, and how it forced thailand to change allegiance.

Don't understand your post. Are you talking to the URL below, that in part states "The British originally had the intention to deliver on their promise to the anti-Japanese Malay leaders in South Thailand that they would either create an independent territory out of the Malay-based southern Thai states or incorporate them in British Malaya as a punishment of Thailand for aiding the Japanese conquest of Malaya and profiting from it"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patani_%28region%29

Can you enlighten me?

Who is the Buddhist hierarchy? Names please

What are they doing to the Muslim minority?

The Buddhist hierarchy is basically the Thai hierarchy, being Buddhist . . . not Muslim. That would be logical, so you have been enlightened. Names? biggrin.png Look at the government, opposition . . . and elsewhere. Names . . .how cute.

What are they doing to the Muslim minority? You're kidding, right? HelloDolly, if you don't know anything about the troubles in the south then I suggest you read up a bit about murders, discrimination etc . . .

• Like 1