Any Kawasaki Versys Owners.

Kwasaki

Out of interest would like to hear from other owners or lads here that know about the bike.

The bike has been great from day one, been on three long trips, coming back on the last one on a bit of clear road I know, thought I 'd seen how she goes full out in 6th, came up pretty quick to 185Km but no more and just a tad over 9000 revs.

As it said in the manual when checking and adjusting the suspension settings and laughing at the mention of the average rider being 65 kgs biggrin.png well I'm 85 kgs, would that mean a great difference to top end speed ?

Got no idea what top speed is of a Thailand bought 650 KV is, my son in UK said they are down in most mags at around 215Km, which is interesting though not that I'm wanting to cruise at that. biggrin.png

I'm going to get around to doing another blast full out in 5th and see if it red lines.

Ride to live. K.

• Like 1

It's not your weight but how big you are. How much drag you create has a MUCH bigger effect. Wikipedia has a pretty good (simple to understand) article on drag coefficient. The most important part is the formula Fd = 1/2pv2cdA. Note that velocity (v) is squared. Thus, the same rider in the same temperature of air, will have any increase in speed making a lot more drag; going from 100 to 200 km/h increases the drag by 4x.

On the other hand, if weight was really important at that speed, a 20kg increase in rider weight is easily made up with by an extra 5 hp to bring the weight/power ratio back in your favour.

• Like 1

The Versys has a slightly different set up when it comes to its engine.

Different ignition map, fuel maps and one of the cams is different to that of the ER and Ninja 650.

Top speed is down compared to the latter bikes but the Versys does benefit from better low down grunt and drivability over various terrains.

An indicated 210kmh should be reachable, where as the ER and Ninja650 will hit indicated speeds of upto 220kmh given the right conditions. :)

• Like 1

If your bike is dressed with bags or paniers it will slow it down a tad as well. I get less top end with my top box. I noticed even in the U.S. my Kawasaki 1000 punched out to 1136 decreases in speed when I have the touring gear on it. It is so dam_n fast anyway I rarely need to see what the top end is. I already know at 138 MPH my knees are shakin even though the bike has more to give. That & the heat would be taking me to jail & impounding the bike . Not to mention the insurance being cancelled."BITE"

• Like 1

It's not your weight but how big you are. How much drag you create has a MUCH bigger effect. Wikipedia has a pretty good (simple to understand) article on drag coefficient. The most important part is the formula Fd = 1/2pv2cdA. Note that velocity (v) is squared. Thus, the same rider in the same temperature of air, will have any increase in speed making a lot more drag; going from 100 to 200 km/h increases the drag by 4x.

On the other hand, if weight was really important at that speed, a 20kg increase in rider weight is easily made up with by an extra 5 hp to bring the weight/power ratio back in your favour.

What Dave is trying to say is, tuck in and lay on the gas tank.
  • Like 1

I'm 89.9 kgs (honest, just weighed myself again to double check), 5'11" and have hit 165 kmh fully loaded with Givi top box and hard side panniers. Felt that bike still had a bit more to give but worried about ripping the panniers off.

Best road I know of to try is the road from Chacheongsao to Sakaeo - straight as an arrow and fairly good condition.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, I was thinking I would have to get it plugged into the dealers computer to check if something was wrong.

There was plenty more road to go but backed off, the road had a head wind which I know would make a differents and yep! I was not tucked in as much as I could have been.

I guess the 10500 redline is for lower gears but as said no more to give, showing just over 9000revs.

Anyway quite chuffed about the 650 twin never had one before, has a lot more punch than I thought it would have and certainly versatile enough for Thailand.

I wouldn't worry to much about the bike's top end.

It will do 205 - 210kmh but it will take a very long time to get there.

190kmh - 210kmh on my 2012 Ninja 650 takes some 15 seconds or so, that's a hell of a lot of ground covered in such time.

Just be sure it's a safe road if you wish to max the bike out :)

Karl

Out of interest would like to hear from other owners or lads here that know about the bike.

The bike has been great from day one, been on three long trips, coming back on the last one on a bit of clear road I know, thought I 'd seen how she goes full out in 6th, came up pretty quick to 185Km but no more and just a tad over 9000 revs.

As it said in the manual when checking and adjusting the suspension settings and laughing at the mention of the average rider being 65 kgs biggrin.png well I'm 85 kgs, would that mean a great difference to top end speed ?

Got no idea what top speed is of a Thailand bought 650 KV is, my son in UK said they are down in most mags at around 215Km, which is interesting though not that I'm wanting to cruise at that. biggrin.png

I'm going to get around to doing another blast full out in 5th and see if it red lines.

Ride to live. K.

85kg Kwaker? Which butt cheek is that :D

Also you are a rather tall chap aswell. Lugging around all that hair aswell can't help, bloody hippy. :lol:

Edited by jambco984
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 650 Versys does 197km with double helmut Givi box and extended windscreen set almost straight up my 95kg takes a long time to get there maybe 30 seconds and must have wind at the back and slight downhill helps......almost 10,000 rpm

No. I guess what he really is trying to say is that from the two guys shown here the one on the right side has a big advantage for riding faster

arnold-schwarzenegger-before.jpgbierbauch.jpg

Its all about mass concentration. Chok Dee tongue.png

No. I guess what he really is trying to say is that from the two guys shown here the one on the right side has a big advantage for riding faster

arnold-schwarzenegger-before.jpgbierbauch.jpg

Its all about mass concentration. Chok Dee tongue.png

Do I have a problem then.laugh.pngpost-87530-0-19019100-1363160151.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anybody ever tried to take the baffels out of the standand axhuast ? rather than buy a replasement one ? Versys is too quiet I want to let people know that I am there I think safer in Thailand.

If it is a no no where to buy a slip on can with removeable baffels in Bangkok ?

Appriciate any replies.

Has anybody ever tried to take the baffels out of the standand axhuast ? rather than buy a replasement one ? Versys is too quiet I want to let people know that I am there I think safer in Thailand.

If it is a no no where to buy a slip on can with removeable baffels in Bangkok ?

Appriciate any replies.

Don't look like a straight forward job to do that and I prefer the standard box anyway but hope you get what you want.

The one thing I really like is having changed the 46T to 44T rear sprocket, makes a big difference for much more practical gearing IMO.

Appriciate any replies.

Don't look like a straight forward job to do that and I prefer the standard box anyway but hope you get what you want.

The one thing I really like is having changed the 46T to 44T rear sprocket, makes a big difference for much more practical gearing IMO.

Changing down to a 44T was one of the first mods that I did and it completely changed the character of the bike. I think it comes stock with a 46T because it aspires to be ridden off road as well but most Versys owners I know don't ride it off road.

Are there any here that rides the Versys off road frequently? How easy / difficult is it to control? What tyres? I've no experience riding off road so am thinking of buying a KLX250 to try it out first as I think the Versys would be too big and difficult for me.

Appriciate any replies.

So I guess that means more top end speed and less acceleration in 1st gear? What else? It's so rare that I hit top speed that that wouldn't be a reason for me to upgrade.

Appriciate any replies.

So I guess that means more top end speed and less acceleration in 1st gear? What else? It's so rare that I hit top speed that that wouldn't be a reason for me to upgrade.

For me, what it means is that I can make it across an intersection before I need to change into 2nd gear :)

You can pull 1st gear out a lot longer and I also noticed that the bike does not want to wheelie as much.(which is good for me as I don't know how to)

• Like 1

Appriciate any replies.

Horses for courses really if you like the 46 that's fine, 1st gear for me seemed OK for towing a caravan. biggrin.png

I feel sure that anyone who rode the Versys with 44 would go for the change.

There's no more top end maybe a bit more in 5th dunno not tried yet but you get a longer haul in lower gears and I don't look for 7th gear anymore as hoghead so correctly stated.

@ ' beachyhead ' A Versys not an off road bike IMO by any stretch of the imagination OK for some rough roads and some off road terain as such but nothing like a proper off road bike.

My motocross days are done with but if I wanted to go off road a KX250F would be my choice or Suzuki.

Good article here :- http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/15011/Motorcycle-Article/2013-250-Motocross-Shootout.aspx