Taking My Gf To France

We went to the French embassy on 21st feb to apply for a Schengen visa to visit france.I had prepared all the paperwork etc and we handed it in for checking,the photo had a blue background and they will only accept white ( UK and OZ both accepted blue)they also wanted copies of my bank statements rather than the originals.No problem the embassy told us where we could get the copies and photo locally.

We submitted the application and were told to ring the number on our receipt on 28th feb,the number given was unavailable.I am back in the UK now so my GF decided to go today to the embassy to try and sort things,she has now been told that they want to see the travel ticket to france.I included in my application a copy of my booking through a travel agent on Eurostar and the named hotel.I have already paid for this travel but is this normal for the embassy to expect me to pay before they decide to issue a visa??

I have already paid for this travel but is this normal for the embassy to expect me to pay before they decide to issue a visa??
Basically, yes. The French do want to see that applicants have a return ticket to/from France, proof of where you will be in France, proof of finances, etc.

Full details from Visa pour le tourisme (It's in French.)

And here's the same information, in English, from the French consulate in London:-

SHORT STAY SCHENGEN VISA

Edited by GU22

Sorry to hear its denied for you....Belgium embassy was very decent to deal with for my gf tourist visa to Belgium in april......the only thing is they really wanna see the real planeticket and insurance before giving you the visa......just a booking papers is not enough these days anymore.

Hope you have more luck next time..... :o

I've spoken to my travel agent today and they are going to try and get the Eurostar tickets issued early as the agents buy them in blocks to keep the price down and only normally issue a couple of weeks before travel.I am travelling in may so I should have enough time to fax them to my GF and hopefully get the visa.Does anyone know if we can get a 5 year multiple entry Schengen or is this a visa for Schengen residents only??

Does anyone know if we can get a 5 year multiple entry Schengen or is this a visa for Schengen residents only??
I've not been able to find anything specific, but I imagine that first time applicants are highly unlikely to get a 5 year one. Remember, though, that the standard 90 day visa is multi entry and valid for all Schengen states, not just the country that issued it (unless endorsed otherwise).

This has been an intresting thread. Thanks for some of the info. I am a US citizen and after applying for and being denied a toursit visa on two occassions over a period of 2 years I have given up. I am considering applying for a finacee visa but first my GF would like to see Paris for a week so I am going to apply for tourist visa to France for her. We only want to be there for a 1 week and then we'll be back in Thailand where I prefer to spend my vacation time. ANy last minute suggestions other than making sure I have hotel and airline tickets in hand.