Getting My Thai Visa In Canada

I am trying to find some information about getting a Thai Visa from Canada.

What is the best way to go about this? What do I need?

On this site here - http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/tourist-visa

It says

• Passport
  • Visa Application Form
  • Recent passport photo
  • Return flight

Well, I won't have the return flight, is that going to be a problem? I am hoping to stay in Chiang Mai for a while and just extend my visa as needed. Probably about 9-10 months total. Is this possible?

If you get a triple entry tourist visa just prior to leaving you can get almost 270 days with 2 border runs and 3, 30 day extensions. The consulate in Vancouver used to be very friendly and you can do it by mail

You should check with one of the honorary consulates in Canada. The will normally give better service and are more flexible than the embassy or official consulate in Vancouver.

Contact info: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/general-visa-info/where-obtain-visa-in-canada.

You probably could get a 3 entry tourist visa that would give you almost 9 months of stay by extending each of the entries and making the last entry just before the visa expires (normally 6 months from date of issue).

When I first came here to Thailand I just flew in and got a 30 day visa here.

When I next came I went to the Thai consulate in Vancouver and applied through them I got a two month triple entry. The next time I came I got a retirement visa through the Vancouver consulate. It required a bit more documentation than the other visas. To be honest I can not remember being asked if I had a return ticket.

It is always handy to have the passport size photos.

9 months is possible with a two month tripple entry you just extend each entry.

My only question is why do you NOT want to have a return ticket. It is usually much cheaper to purchase a return ticket than to buy two, one way tickets. From what I've understood when talking to the Thai consulate in Canada I can get a triple entry visa which gives me a maximum of 180 days, but practically, more like about 175 days because you lose the remainder of any time left on your visa every time you leave the country. Then, providing you FLY out of the country you are allowed 3 more exits and returns for a maximum of 30 days each time. If you were to time it perfectly and make your exit on the last day your visa expires then you could get 180 days + 30 days, + 30 days, + 30 days, or a total of about 270 days which equates to about just under 9 months. After that you have to wait a year before returning.

I'm fortunate that I only WANT to stay in Thailand for 6 continuous months each year.

Thailand has good reasons for the laws they do. They DON'T want people just to immigrate to Thailand without going through the proper process. Thailand is certainly a LOT more lax when it comes to tourists visiing their country. You certainly can't do that in North America. The average poor Thai can not even come to North America as a tourist, even if they have a return ticket and passport.

You are completely wrong in many points you made.

With a 3 entry visa you can extend your 1st two entries and then just before visa expires depart and return using the last 60 day entry and then extend it for 30 days giving you almost 9 months.

The visa expiration date is only for using the visa not the amount of time you can spend here.

There is also no limit on the number of visa exempt entries you can do. That rule went away well over 4 years ago when the 15 day entry at border crossings came into play.

There is no requirement to wait a year before returning to the country or obtaining another visa in any case imaginable.

Edited by ubonjoe

The return ticket can be asked but normally is not for western world home country visa applicants. But it is included in the requirements as they can ask when they feel it is prudent.

As said there is no limit on stay or requirement to stay away any period of time.

I always get my visa through the Vancouver Consulate-General.

Note that the Honorary Consulates can usually only provide double, not triple, entry tourist visas. For the triple, you've got to go through the embassy or consulate-general.

My only question is why do you NOT want to have a return ticket. It is usually much cheaper to purchase a return ticket than to buy two, one way tickets. From what I've understood when talking to the Thai consulate in Canada I can get a triple entry visa which gives me a maximum of 180 days, but practically, more like about 175 days because you lose the remainder of any time left on your visa every time you leave the country. Then, providing you FLY out of the country you are allowed 3 more exits and returns for a maximum of 30 days each time. If you were to time it perfectly and make your exit on the last day your visa expires then you could get 180 days + 30 days, + 30 days, + 30 days, or a total of about 270 days which equates to about just under 9 months. After that you have to wait a year before returning.

I'm fortunate that I only WANT to stay in Thailand for 6 continuous months each year.

Thailand has good reasons for the laws they do. They DON'T want people just to immigrate to Thailand without going through the proper process. Thailand is certainly a LOT more lax when it comes to tourists visiing their country. You certainly can't do that in North America. The average poor Thai can not even come to North America as a tourist, even if they have a return ticket and passport.

All though Europe is a bit easier they still put a Thai through the hoops.

does developed nation mean paranoid?

Nice to see the Thai embassy in Canada has finally redone its web pages.

Anyway, I spotted an interesting regression vis a vis the O-A Long Stay visa. Quote from web site:

5. Recommendations for Foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay) While Staying in the Kingdom

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration Office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void".

Now, I always thought the O-A was by definition multiple-entry. It was when I got mine in mid-2010. It appears as though it's a single entry now and you need a 3800 baht multiple re-entry or 1000 baht single re-entry permit.

Anyone know whether this is a change or regression? The $180 fee for O-A is $5 more than what I paid. But I got a multi-entry visa. IOW, I did not need a re-entry permit. I know that because I was in and out of Cambodia, Vietnam and Canada over that first year without a hitch.

Edit: Just checked my 2010 visa: It says under "No. of entry", M. For multiple. I don't see on the website any provision for a multi-entry O-A visa.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

The visa is sold in both single (originally was only available in this type) and multi entry (at 2.5 times the cost). Due to the number of travelers getting upset because they did not know a re-entry permit was required and lost the extension the US and believe Canada, and perhaps others, stopped issue of the single entry to avoid this happening (although those using for a second year may experience the need for re-entry permits). That notice is for those obtaining a single entry and may not apply in Canada but is in the general MFA information set to Consulates.

If you get a triple entry tourist visa just prior to leaving you can get almost 270 days with 2 border runs and 3, 30 day extensions. The consulate in Vancouver used to be very friendly and you can do it by mail

How do you do the 30 day extensions?

I don't have a return ticket as I don't plan on returning. I will probably stay in Thailand for about 9 months or however long my visa allows, and then move on to another country.

Vancouver BC Thai consulate is great! I got my B visa there w/out any hassle.

I plan on working there, telecommuiting. However I don't have much in ways of documents expressing this. What kind of documentation did you need to get a B visa?

The return ticket can be asked but normally is not for western world home country visa applicants. But it is included in the requirements as they can ask when they feel it is prudent.

As said there is no limit on stay or requirement to stay away any period of time.

Oh, that makes sense. Hopefully they don't ask!

During the last 30 days of each initial 60 day permission to stay you go to the immigration office responsibles for the area and apply for the extension. Fill out form TM7, 1 picture, copies of your passport (bio page, visa page, current permission to stay stamp), copy of your departure card (TM6) and 1900 baht.

When you do border runs to activate the next 60 day entry, you must enter the neighboring country so you have to purchase a visa at the border, Laos = $35, Cambodia = $20, Myanmar = 500 baht, and Malaysia = free.

All three entries must be made on or before the "must enter by" date on your visa, so it's best to get the visa just prior to leaving for Thailand as they are valid for 6 months from the issue date. You will have to do your last exit and re-entry before that date so you might not get full use of the last extension. When you enter the third time you will get 60 days which can be extended even though your original visa has expired.

During the last 30 days of each initial 60 day permission to stay you go to the immigration office responsibles for the area and apply for the extension. Fill out form TM7, 1 picture, copies of your passport (bio page, visa page, current permission to stay stamp), copy of your departure card (TM6) and 1900 baht.

When you do border runs to activate the next 60 day entry, you must enter the neighboring country so you have to purchase a visa at the border, Laos = $35, Cambodia = $20, Myanmar = 500 baht, and Malaysia = free.

All three entries must be made on or before the "must enter by" date on your visa, so it's best to get the visa just prior to leaving for Thailand as they are valid for 6 months from the issue date. You will have to do your last exit and re-entry before that date so you might not get full use of the last extension. When you enter the third time you will get 60 days which can be extended even though your original visa has expired.

Great info, thanks.

If I apply for my triple visa today in Canada will it start now or when I enter Thailand?

The visa will be valid from for 6 months form the day that it is issued, not the day that you enter Thailand. That's why you should get the visa just before leaving and not in advance as you will lose days.

The visa will be valid from for 6 months form the day that it is issued, not the day that you enter Thailand. That's why you should get the visa just before leaving and not in advance as you will lose days.

Oh very interesting! Is it possible to get a visa upon entering the country, or while in the country or do I have to do it before I enter?

Just trying to maximize my time.

Visas are obtained outside Thailand for all but extension of stay reasons (which you would not qualify). Also be aware any work performed in Thailand legally requires a work permit which you will not have; and likely will not be able to obtain.

Note to OP Celcius: Lao fees differ by nationality. Canadians must pay $42 for a Lao entry, more than any other nationality. Any reason would be speculative.

Visas are obtained outside Thailand for all but extension of stay reasons (which you would not qualify). Also be aware any work performed in Thailand legally requires a work permit which you will not have; and likely will not be able to obtain.

I am a little confused by this, Can't I get an extension on my 60 day to a 90 day? Or maybe you mean the 6 month entry?

Note to OP Celcius: Lao fees differ by nationality. Canadians must pay $42 for a Lao entry, more than any other nationality. Any reason would be speculative.

Probably because they know we won't complain and just apologize for bothering them

Edited by Celcius

You directly asked about getting a visa inside Thailand and they are only issued in the extension of stay process (retirement, Thai wife, employment, education and such) which you have not indicated any qualification for so you would not be able to obtain. Yes tourist visas can be routinely extended as has been mentioned several times. But you can not obtain a tourist visa inside Thailand - that was my meaning.