Honda Jazz Car Battery Life In Chiang Mai

tomdfc

Have had our car for just over 6 years and have now had 3 batteries. Respective lifespans - 27, 23 & 27 months. I know temperature is a factor. I am also (now, after googling) aware that it is bad practice to allow a battery to fully discharge and we do go "home" each year, leaving the car parked and idle for some 2 or 3 months. Is this therefore just an own goal? Or should I expect a longer life? (Batteries bought through official Honda garage.) Any thoughts? Thanks.

Try using a battery optimiser/maintainer whilst you are away. These are designed to supply a small amount of current but designed to be left connected for extended periods of time. You can check the names Optimate or Ctek and find out their capabilities. The Ctek 0.8 Amp version is available in town and I would think this would be large enough for your needs.

We've also found that it helps to top-up the battery-water regularly, as it seems to evaporate much faster, than we were used-to in the UK.

An Aussie mate, from the Northern Territories, says he never expects much more than a year from a car-battery operating in the tropics.

My Wifes old car which she had for 20 years in Chiang Mai only used two batteries in all that time. We now have a new car but I await what happens in the next couple of years or so. I do top up every month and have a battery checker as I like to do my own servicing in every way possible even though the new car is under warranty etc.

When leaving a car at home when traveling I always disconnect the battery. It's something I've always done wherever I've lived. With modern car builds this may not be required but old habits die hard.

We've also found that it helps to top-up the battery-water regularly, as it seems to evaporate much faster, than we were used-to in the UK.

An Aussie mate, from the Northern Territories, says he never expects much more than a year from a car-battery operating in the tropics.

I bought a Honda Swift 2 months back, and was amazed to fund that they had uinstalled one of the old lead-acid type batteries. nonrally sealed batteries are fitted to new cars.

However, I lived in North Queensland and drove a KIA for more than 4 years, and the battery didn't ever give a problem.

I should imagine that using distilled water and keeping a lead-acid battery topped up would help a lot. I buy 2 litre bottles at Tesco, in the steam iron department!

I once 'lost' a battery in Australia when the garage used tap water, saying it made no difference. I had to replace the battery, and it wasn't with that guy!