Retirement Bahn Pho Here I Come

siampolee

Her what spends the money has decided that him what earns the money needs to retire (a thought that fills me with abject horror although to a lesser degree I hasten to add.)

Sangkha is our Umpha and I actually am at home in the area as many a visit and a stay over the years have acclimatised me to the time warp in Surin and indeed the pace of life too

Not alone as our sons will be there so that's fine. However the readjustment will be an enjoyable challenge I am sure.Got a new set of wheels so again we are or rather I am not stuck marooned in a rural hamlet.

.Staffords is some 25 kilometers away so the farang food I desire albeit in a small quantity is available.There is a small rural bar run by a Thai and English couple on the outskirts of Sangkha so although I drink little the odd social visit is possible.

Internet is in the village is accessible via air card but a telephone link is being explored, big satellite dish for T.V. been in place for a year or two so links to the outside world are possible. I have a library of some thousand books and about 3,000 hours of unwatched C.D.s and some 100 gigabytes of music as yet unheard material downloaded and burnt specifically for this move.

There has been an approach from a private school for me to teach on a part time basis, this i like as that should keep the old grey matter from festering and of course one has a reason to get up and go too linked to some albeit perhaps limited social contact too, depending of course upon their expectations and my willingness to accept a position..I have some 22 + years of teaching at all levels and in all types of school fully qualified and licensed thus such an offer poses no problems on that front

Now are there any chaps couples etc around the local area who can give me some advice ?

.I am a long term resident here in Thailand some 22 years +.so I am not a novice, however learning never stops until one hits the temple crematorium. Then, the next step is ? , Well I'll find out when that happens.

So any advice or social contact will be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that the projected moving date is February 28th - March 1st 2013, for me and my wife and our youngest son will be joining the rest of us a week later when honourable son number three has sat his school exams.

The arrangements much to my surprise seem to be running to the timetable as we planned, mind you there's still time for things to go haywire.

Lopburi 3 I have residential status , sorry my edit was to remove an erroneous comment i posted. Thanks for the head up seems as if requests work.

Edited by siampolee

Kuhn SP: Hopefully you will have a happy and even productive retirement although there are some, if not many, here whose reason to get up and go in the morning is that they have run out of beer and cigarettes from the night before.

there are some, if not many, here whose reason to get up and go in the morning is that they have run out of beer and cigarettes from the night before.
cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not my scene, gave up hangovers a long time ago, drink for pleasure not pain

• Like 2

Hi Siampolee, cograts on your big move mate sounds good to me. Can I ask what sort of money they pay teachers out in the countryside of Thailand? Im thinking of returning to uni here in Australia to get a teaching degree, I figure thats a decent way to earn money when the wife and daughter want to go home.

Edited by krisb

krisb.

I am in a different category to you I think regarding the position that may or may not be on offer.However in Surin city it seems as if the pay range (via an agency) is around 30,000 baht for a 10 month contact.

I actually have no need to work as my pensions are indeed adequate to live on here. An occupational pension from the U.K plus my state retirement pension from the U.K.. I'm a golden oldie got more than double the figure required by the Thai authorities..

Sirchai might be worth having a talk to regarding salary and possible openings in his school , he's a regular poster here., .

Edited by siampolee

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies to all who replied to my thread after some 22+ years of living in Bangkok I or perhaps I should say we hadn't realized just how much we had in the way of goods and chattels.

The first week is over and at last some semblance of order seems to be appearing at home, give me and 'er what spends the money about three more months and I think the battle will be won. Going to honourable son number three (13 years old ) registered in school so that will be in the next three or four weeks

Barrybankruad.

We are some 50 + kilometers from your area however thanks for the heads up.