Swiss Man Dies Allegedly Avoiding Police Checkpoint

Lite Beer

Swiss man dies allegedly avoiding police checkpoint

Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A Swiss visitor allegedly trying to avoid a police checkpoint in Chalong died early this morning after his car hit a shelter in Rawai, on Phuket's south coast, flipped and landed in the sea below.

newsjs

The 46-year-old was driving with a female companion when he hit the shelter at the sea gypsy village in Rawai.

“We got the report at about 5:20am,” said Chalong Police Deputy Superintendent Jumroon Plaiduang.

“We went to the scene and saw a Toyota Vios in the sea, about two meters from the shore. The bridge railing and the shelter on the road near the sea were damaged from the crash,” Lt Col Jumroon said

“The body of the man was still in the car. His female companion, who is from the Philippines, was sitting and crying on the shore,” he said. “She had been rescued by people who witnessed the accident.”

The woman, named by police only as “Ronalyn”, reportedly told Col Jumroon that the couple had been drinking all day and had gotten massages, then continued drinking into the night.

When they were ready to return to their hotel in Patong, they wanted to avoid a police checkpoint in Chalong, so they went through Rawai, she allegedly told police.

Witnesses said the car was going at high speed when it hit the shelter.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...oint-20263.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-16

As a few of us mentioned in the other thread, booze.

Article states the Filipina saying "they drank all day", they then continued on into the night boozing until the 5:30AM accident. Well folks, that sounds like 24 hours of boozing and if you're behind the wheel in that state of inebriation, it's a Darwin Award.

Article states the Filipina saying "they drank all day", they then continued on into the night boozing until the 5:30AM accident. Well folks, that sounds like 24 hours of boozing and if you're behind the wheel in that state of inebriation, it's a Darwin Award.

Yes, it sure sounds like that. But the guy died ... so RIP.

Yes, it sure sounds like that. But the guy died ... so RIP.

Sure, and to any family or friends of the deceased who see this thread, I am sorry for your loss.

drunk

No no... how do you come to that amazing conclusion? the girlfriend said they were drinking all day, that could have been orrange juice. Der.. (of course they were drunk)

It would not have happened if the ....g police were not so keen to make money & quotas.bah.gif

drunk

No no... how do you come to that amazing conclusion? the girlfriend said they were drinking all day, that could have been orrange juice. Der.. (of course they were drunk)

It would not have happened if the ....g police were not so keen to make money & quotas.bah.gif

No police checkpoints anywhere at 5 AM. He was drunk and shouldn't have been on the wheel, end of story. I really don't understand how anybody can blame the police for somebody getting behind the wheel drunk.

But may he RIP.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

drunk

"It would not have happened if the ....g police were not so keen to make money & quotas."

Maybe, "it would not have happened if the ....g influential people were not so keen to make money and allowed metered taxis and/or baht buses on Phuket."

drunk

No police checkpoints anywhere at 5 AM. He was drunk and shouldn't have been on the wheel, end of story. I really don't understand how anybody can blame the police for somebody getting behind the wheel drunk.

But may he RIP.

Because drunk or sober the Thai police "prancing" around in the middle of the road in thair high healed shoes at any time is a frightening thing to behold, they always look like armed lunaticks. its enouh to drive anyone off the road in panick. I never stop and even if standing in front of me I pretend i dint see them, never had a problem doing that. (I just dont want to pay a fine for something I am not guilty of or have to talk to a moron with a gun).

drunk

But may he RIP.

Because drunk or sober the Thai police "prancing" around in the middle of the road in thair high healed shoes at any time is a frightening thing to behold, they always look like armed lunaticks. its enouh to drive anyone off the road in panick. I never stop and even if standing in front of me I pretend i dint see them, never had a problem doing that. (I just dont want to pay a fine for something I am not guilty of or have to talk to a moron with a gun).

This makes no sense at all. He got behind the wheel drunk, end of story.

Noticed a bright blinking sign with a turning arrow now at that intersection where the main road goes right and the Swiss man went straight. I can't recall seeing this before.

Me too. So it only took a lot of bad publicity, a damaged wall and railings, a smashed up car and a dead farang to get this done. Way to go Rawai OrBorTor.