95 Benzine

mortenaa

Hey guys,

I just bought a BMW M3 with a thirst for proper 95 octane benzine. I went to a couple Shell Stations today, and one said they had it, but on the pump it said 95 V-power gasohol.

So far i found out that Caltex has a Techron Gold 95, which is benzine, but its mostly sold in and around BKK. What about PTT or other stations. Do they provide it?

Can somebody help me here please. I have a 20 year old Toyota Corona 1600 automatic with LPG conversion. I always used 91 red. It is now being phased out, should I start using 95 yellow, or get a reconditioned engine, or does anyone have any other solutions?

Can somebody help me here please. I have a 20 year old Toyota Corona 1600 automatic with LPG conversion. I always used 91 red. It is now being phased out, should I start using 95 yellow, or get a reconditioned engine, or does anyone have any other solutions?

Use the benzine(yellow)95....it's the best stuff available anyway smile.png

Use the benzine(yellow)95....it's the best stuff available anyway smile.png

Thanks Funcat, I'll do that.

With the demise of 91 Benzene some pumps are being relabelled so may not appear the right 'colour'. The best way to tell is by price 95 Benzene is around 48/49 baht/litre at the moment, 95 E10 is around 40 baht/litre and 91 E10 is around 38 baht/liter.

Your going up in octane because 91 go s out the market so you know need to do anything just fill it with 95.

Your conversion has to do with the valves seats who are hardened and the higher octane has to do with

a better and cleaner type of fuel with better knock resistance for the combustion.

And the old led protection fuel days are over long time ago if i m not mistaken

Your going up in octane because 91 go s out the market so you know need to do anything just fill it with 95.

Your conversion has to do with the valves seats who are hardened and the higher octane has to do with

a better and cleaner type of fuel with better knock resistance for the combustion.

Thanks roadrunner300, your'e help was very much appreciated.

Sorry but you're mistaken. 95 is better and cleaner fuel - is the myth being told on every pump in north america. Higher octane does not make fuel better or cleaner, it makes it burn slower which helps prevent predetonation and engine knock in high performance engines (those with high compression ratio or with forced induction). That's why race engines require race fuel with octane way beyond the 100 and that's why those race cars shooting the flames out of exhaust once in a while - fuel burns so slow that it keeps on burning once it left the combustion chamber.

In fact if the engine is designed to run on 91 it will achieve the best performance in 91 (if it's properly tuned), 95 will slightly decrease the performance but its so slight that its not noticeable. There are no benefits at all using 95 in place of 91.

Alcohol by itself is a slow burning fuel with lower BTU than petrol and using gasohol 91 or 95 is equally not healthy for the engines not designed to run on gasohol as the alcohol in it will rotten out the rubber and plastic components of the fuel system over time. The only cure is to replace those rubber and plastic parts with those able to withstand contact with alcohol and I've heard there are conversion kits for this.

Sorry but you're mistaken. 95 is better and cleaner fuel - is the myth being told on every pump in north america. Higher octane does not make fuel better or cleaner, it makes it burn slower which helps prevent predetonation and engine knock in high performance engines (those with high compression ratio or with forced induction). That's why race engines require race fuel with octane way beyond the 100 and that's why those race cars shooting the flames out of exhaust once in a while - fuel burns so slow that it keeps on burning once it left the combustion chamber.

In fact if the engine is designed to run on 91 it will achieve the best performance in 91 (if it's properly tuned), 95 will slightly decrease the performance but its so slight that its not noticeable. There are no benefits at all using 95 in place of 91.

Alcohol by itself is a slow burning fuel with lower BTU than petrol and using gasohol 91 or 95 is equally not healthy for the engines not designed to run on gasohol as the alcohol in it will rotten out the rubber and plastic components of the fuel system over time. The only cure is to replace those rubber and plastic parts with those able to withstand contact with alcohol and I've heard there are conversion kits for this.

No benifits ? Sure there are benefits car manufacters are developing more fuel efficient engines even in the USA .

So the oilcompanies need to adapt on this to and change to 95 and 98 only because of these new engines.

Simply not enough engines [the more inefficient ones]run best on the 91 anymore.

In other words there is a guge indirect benefit in a lower world wide oil consumption.

Maybe the fuel isn t better and cleaner but in combination with the new engines it is.

Edited by roadrunner300

Sure there are new engines that are more efficient that require 95 or even 98... Take 2.0 Honda Civic for example, what's its compression ratio? Somewhere in 10.5:1 to 11:1 I would think, modify it to 12:1 and now you have quite a bit more power coming our if it with the condition that it now has to run on 95 octane as a minimum. Now with the fuel economy in mind let's chop a bit off of that 2.0 and make it 1.8 or 1.7 so now we have a smaller size engine making the same power and getting better MPG as the older 2.0

Now it all nice but filling up your Honda civic or anything else designed to run on 91 will not make it run better, will not add power or give you more MPG. It will not hurt anything (but your wallet) but it will not add any benefits either.

Those BMW Mercedes Porsche engines are more powerful, more efficient because they were designed that way, not because they run on higher octane fuel. They run in height octane because they simply have no choice, lower octane fuel will destroy those engines.

Edited by Shurup

• 2 weeks later...

The highway from HWY 107 to Mag Ngat Dam north of Chiang Mai has a gas station just before you cross the Ping River that is still selling Benzine 95. Not sure how long that will last but I filled up at just over 50 baht a liter. Must be the last gas(p) of benzine up north.

The highway from HWY 107 to Mag Ngat Dam north of Chiang Mai has a gas station just before you cross the Ping River that is still selling Benzine 95. Not sure how long that will last but I filled up at just over 50 baht a liter. Must be the last gas(p) of benzine up north.

Perhaps the Guy with the Pinging Vios filled up there.wub.png .