What's The Difference Between Michelin/bridgestone And Cheaper Tyres?

kurnell

Michelin are usually known as the best quality - a reputation that is deserved. Bridgestone is IMO, the best of the higher middle end tires and the best value for money, and they also bought Firestone, which they position as a slightly down-market brand now I think. Those other brands you mentioned also are good, but I don't prefer Dunlop as I don't think they give as much wear and are noisier.

I think Bridgestone spends a lot on R&D, and their new tires are noticeably better performing and quieter as I just replaced a set of original Bridgstone with new ones on one of my cars and can really tell the difference.

If you have an older car, I would not hesitate to buy a cheaper brand of those you mentioned.

Michelin are usually known as the best quality - a reputation that is deserved. Bridgestone is IMO, the best of the higher middle end tires and the best value for money, and they also bought Firestone, which they position as a slightly down-market brand now I think. Those other brands you mentioned also are good, but I don't prefer Dunlop as I don't think they give as much wear and are noisier.

I think Bridgestone spends a lot on R&D, and their new tires are noticeably better performing and quieter as I just replaced a set of original Bridgstone with new ones on one of my cars and can really tell the difference.

If you have an older car, I would not hesitate to buy a cheaper brand of those you mentioned.

I have a Fortuner so will stick to the better brands then

On my first Fortuner we I changed from Michelan to Bridgestone. Michelan was a bit wobbely, soft etc. The bridgestone give me better control.

When it comes to tyres you mostly get what you pay for. I would not go with cheap tyres.

What are the warrenty terms? I believe the bridgestone was three years or 60000km.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have yokohamas at the moment and have been the best wearing out of falken, dunlop, and michelin, all of which I have tried on the same vehicle. The others were good, but the dunlops seemed soft and the falkens got noisy.

They key here is to rotate correctly every 10K kms and keep the balance / camber / alignment correct. Tires were fast, especially when the camber is incorrect.

Re rotating tyres nowadays. Many tyres are marked with a direction of arrow so if rotated on the car from one side to the other unless they are taken off the rim and turned they will be turning against the marked direction.

very true, thats why you charge front to back.

First time i ever heard of changing sides ?.

Yokohama, BF Goodrich and others are 20% cheaper but are they lower quality or is this just like a Thai thing similar to the Thai preference for Toyota and Honda cars?

If there is any difference it will be in tread pattern (research) grip and noise and fabric weave ( again research)

but I don't prefer Dunlop as I don't think they give as much wear and are noisier

More grip = greater wear. So you get what you pay for. Off road tires are noisier than road tires.

they also bought Firestone, which they position as a slightly down-market brand now I think.

Most if not all companies have a cheaper offering so they can charge a premium for the bigger, more powerful etc.offering.

Better question would have been " I have a Fortuner and need some new tires that - insert your need (more wet weather grip, quieter, longer lasting etc) - what do other Fortuner owner's use.

Edited by VocalNeal

Better question would have been " I have a Fortuner and need some new tires that - insert your need (more wet weather grip, quieter, longer lasting etc) - what do other Fortuner owner's use.

Agree - it's not about the brand so much as it is the goals and how well each tire performs.

When it comes to premium SUV tires, it boils down to two options IMHO: Yokohama Parada Spec-X and Toyo Proxes S/T II - both are excellent performers in all criteria.

Bridgestone Duelers are seriously outclassed in every aspect by these two - I haven't tried the Michelins, but there outside of one poster here, there doesn't seem to be much love for their SUV offerings in Thailand.

Agree - it's not about the brand so much as it is the goals and how well each tire performs.

When it comes to premium SUV tires, it boils down to two options IMHO: Yokohama Parada Spec-X and Toyo Proxes S/T II - both are excellent performers in all criteria.

http://m.volvocars.com/;jsessionid=51f5c58fa4c376297d7decb1b4f2

Bridgestone Duelers are seriously outclassed in every aspect by these two - I haven't tried the Michelins, but there outside of one poster here, there doesn't seem to be much love for their SUV offerings in Thailand.

Are the Yokohama and Toyo tyres the best for mainly Highway and only occasional dirt road? I live in Bangkok and am quite happy with the Dueler 684II. I always thought both, Yokohama and Toyo are the Tyre of choice if you drive a lot in rural areas, unpaved roads etc.. but not first choice for highway.

Obviously one can not go and try them out, so any first hand expirience would be great.

http://m.volvocars.c...6297d7decb1b4f2

Are the Yokohama and Toyo tyres the best for mainly Highway and only occasional dirt road? I live in Bangkok and am quite happy with the Dueler 684II. I always thought both, Yokohama and Toyo are the Tyre of choice if you drive a lot in rural areas, unpaved roads etc.. but not first choice for highway.

Obviously one can not go and try them out, so any first hand expirience would be great.

We use the Fortuner mainly in Bangkok with occasional trips to Pattay, Hua Hin, Nakhon Sawan, Saraburi etc., never dirt roads.

http://m.volvocars.c...6297d7decb1b4f2

Both the Yoko and Toyo's mentioned are highway/all-season tires. They're useful on dirt and loose surfaces but definitely not designed for off-roading.

Out of interest, how much are yoko or toyo tires? A set of nee Bridgestones cost about 22k.

The last set of 20" Parada Spec-X's I bought cost 34K/set. Smaller sizes will be cheaper though...

I just looked at bquik and my bridgestones are listed at 8490 each, so 34 k the lot.....

either I am wrong or there was quite an increase in the last three years.

Never mind that, obviously well worth to look at yoko or toyo for the next change.

Edited by StefanBBK

I just looked at bquik and my bridgestones are listed at 8490 each, so 34 k the lot.....

either I am wrong or there was quite an increase in the last three years.

Never mind that, obviously well worth to look at yoko or toyo for the next change.

Been quite a big increase in the last 2 years sad.png

I am being quoted 5,700 baht per tyre for Michelins at Tyre Mart Nonthaburi. Waiting on a quote for Bridgestones, but normally a bit cheaper. B-Quik are about 1,000 baht per tyre more expensive.

I've found that the prices as Cockpit are hard to beat for Bridgestones. http://www.cockpit.co.th/product_main.aspx?categoryID=3

same price, 8490. That is 265/65/17

I am being quoted 5,700 baht per tyre for Michelins at Tyre Mart Nonthaburi. Waiting on a quote for Bridgestones, but normally a bit cheaper. B-Quik are about 1,000 baht per tyre more expensive.

What tyre size is that?

265/70 16 i think